Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure someone has had this same problem.. is it difficult to change it out? Or am I going to have to change out the whole pump? It's really annoying.. It hasn't started messing with my power stearing it's self yet though.:cry:

·
Banned
2005 gmc envoy_sle
3,253 Posts
are you sure its not the idler pulley??,,its a very very common problem with out trucks,,i had to replace mine at 41,000 miles.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Before you condemn the pump, check the fluid level in the PS system......low fluid can result in anything from a hum to a very annoying whining sound.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok

will do soon as the wife pulls in. i didn't even think about that because i had no hard tension or anything in my power stearing.. hope thats it.. i don't feel like changing anything right now.. lol..

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_slt
319 Posts
will do soon as the wife pulls in. i didn't even think about that because i had no hard tension or anything in my power stearing.. hope thats it.. i don't feel like changing anything right now.. lol..
I'm in the same boat as you, started in this thread:

http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=60138

I checked my levels but it's all good. I've pretty much isolated it as the PS pump from the sound location. I'm still trying to figure out how hard it is to disconnect the pump hoses as they seem like a pain to get to. I'm gonna order my pump this week along w/some tools (puller/installer, breaker bar). Also still trying to figure out the best method to flush, since lots of people recommend doing that if changing the pump. I found some written instructions here on a thread, but I'll take some pics during the repair and will try to write something up also.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
same here..

levels are good. it doesn't look to hard to change. just have to get around to doing it.. i think i may have a front left wheel barring going out as well...sure hope not.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,292 Posts
If it's a PS pump whine you might cure it by flush (replacing) dirty fluid with new stuff, stick a white rag in the PS reseivoir if it comes out dirty that should tell you. (and be sure you get the correct type of Power Steering Fluid) There are pics of flush here somewhere.:confused: Cheap & easy compared to Pump... Piece of hose (Garden)to your ear might help you Identify where noise is coming from.:m2:

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Hi,

If you want to replace the PS pump, her is how to:

Picture # 1:

Place a 3/8 T handle vertically in the tenssioner squared hole and use a pipe to turn it clockwise. Release the belt while holding it. Be careful not to damage the Cam Shaft sensor.

Picture # 2:

The location of the 3 bolts that hold the pump.

Picture # 3:

Spin the pully until you reach the bolts through the holes. You can use a socket to remove them.

Picture # 4:

The high pressure pipe. You can reach it after releasing the pump, but loosening it will be difficult unless you hold it with a visegrip clamp. You can hammer the wrench or use WD40 or any other rust solvant. You can also use two wrenches: one to hold the nut on the pump and the other to hold the pipe nut. Turn wrenches opposite to each other.
You can also reach it prior to releasing the pump, but then you'll need to get open ended wrench, and will be difficult to reach.

Picture # 5:

Oil return to pump pipe. No pressure. Use a visegrip clamp to squeeze the two parts of the tie as shown in the picture. realease it and slide it down to be able to pull the pipe off the pump.

Finally, install the new pump reversing the steps above.

I hope this makes it easy for you to replace the pump.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
9 Posts
Was not hard to change out whatsoever.

Took 30-35 minutes altogether (with proper tools at hand). And I am no mechanic :D

-------

Just one note. Make sure you don't leak power steering fluid on your paint when you remove the pump. It will eat thru the paint if left there to sit.

Use the 2 plugs from the new pump, and put into the old pump to advert from fluid spilling all over.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
151 Posts
This is a great write-up for replacing the pump. I do have a few questions about what the whining means. Is it the first tell tale sign of pump failure? Is it just a normal (obnoxious) part of life like the ford power steering pump? What could happen if the pump does fail, besides the obvious increased difficulty of steering?

Last question, does the type of power steering fluid matter? I used the turkey baster method a few months ago and sucked out all of the old fluid from the resevoir and replaced it with Prestone fluid that matched the general vehicle description.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
This is a great write-up for replacing the pump. I do have a few questions about what the whining means. Is it the first tell tale sign of pump failure? Is it just a normal (obnoxious) part of life like the ford power steering pump? What could happen if the pump does fail, besides the obvious increased difficulty of steering?

Last question, does the type of power steering fluid matter? I used the turkey baster method a few months ago and sucked out all of the old fluid from the resevoir and replaced it with Prestone fluid that matched the general vehicle description.

Thanks for your input.
Hi,
Whining means like this:
http://www.4shared.com/file/11388101...1d8/sound.html

sometimes flushing and bleeding the system fixes it. You need to get the exact steering fluid. Not using the specified fluid damages the steering rack assy and some difficulty in the steering motion. Yes, it might indicate the beginning of pump failure.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
151 Posts
I finally got around to calling my favorite service manager in Northern Utah. He informed me that the pump whine could mean, nothing - just the pump getting old and developing a whine or it could mean potential failure. If the pump does fail he was very doubtful that any contaminents will flow through the system and wreck any other parts. Just a loss of easy steering. He also confirmed that there really is not any special power steering fluid that goes into the vehicle. It was not necessary to buy the GM Fluid, just use fluid that is formulated for GM cars.

This may have all been common knowledge, but after reading some posts about special fluid, and what could happen if the pump failed, I was still unclear to a solution.

Anyways, the whine continues, so it looks like a trip to the part store for a replacement is in order.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
270 Posts
Hi,

What we talk about here is the best driving conditions. Some friends tried the dextronIII to replace the steering fluid in these trucks, and they said their trucks ran well. One of them changed that to the specified GM fluid and he confessed that there was a change in performance. If you spill the original fluid on the car paint, it will remove it. What can you understand from that?
If you keep the trans oil on your car paint for a year, it will not affect it. The fluid is designed like that for a specific reason that I have no idea about. It might be that it stands heat better than the old trans oil. It might be that it provides smoother motion for the parts against each other. You know, now there is another type of oil, the SYNTHETIC one. Did you know that you can't add it to a system that has remainings of the regular oil? The reason: they will start a chemical reaction and damage the system you're using.
With all due respect to the service manager you consulted, it seems to me that he is no better than the dealers who gave me trans oil instead of the steering fluid when I wanted to flush my steering assy. They didn't have a clue that there was a difference. AND, whining means nothing?!!!
I find it difficult to swallow. It's a symptom for an illness. Find it and cure it, and you won't hear it again.
I would really like you to try something. Get the two toy magnets with the oval shape. Throw them one by one inside the power steering fluid reservoir and drive your truck for two days, and take the magnets out. Tell me what you find sticking on them.
Now some drivers can live with some difficulties and noise in their vehicles. I am one who can't bear a squeak while driving, and it might be a reason for success in reaching my destinations without unwelcome obligatory stops.

I hope that I've been of benefit here.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts