Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay. So blah blah, ongoing dstrobe install, blah blah.

Okay. I have these little strobes that I was going to put in the rear side windows. I was going to put them on the brush guard, but I decided against that. They look like this:

So I fashioned a way to put them in the side windows, and I am sure they would work well there, but then I really started wanting more blue to the back (as persuaded by the fire chief :laugh:).

So I was thinking of a way to mount them. Problem is, there's no plastic trim on the roof INSIDE the cargo area. I could mount them on the hatch, but then the wires would be much more visible, and the lighjts would summon space ships when the hatch was open.

SO I looked through all the spare parts I had and found a solution (I think). I had 2 talon visor mounting brackets, that I did not use. I drilled new holes in the strobe mounts, and bolted them to the talon mounts. If I open the hatch, pull off the seal at the top, I can slide the Talon mouunts over the headliner piece, re-attach the seal, and they should be all set!

Naturally, I brought everything except my camera, so pictures will need to wait until tomorrow :(

Call it a teaser. If someone has a camera phone, I will get a pic of the mounts I adapted today.

Chris

Edit:

Harassed someone with a camera phone :) The harassment suit starts Friday, but here are some pics of the mounting brackets :dielaugh: Hopefully you will get where I am going with this :bonk:

Chris

·
Registered
gmc
7 Posts
Chip clip, some duct tape... Throw in some bubble gum, and you got my approval.

Oh wait, the chip clip is just helping the light pose for the camera. I get it now.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
More pictures

Here are some pictures of one of the units installed. (unit, hahahahah)

Soon to be connected :yes:

Chris

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
ooooh :eek:

some progress.....Me likey

so i can't wait to see how bright they are through the tint....that's my major issue at the moment......

i actually want to do something like that but with a duel avenger/talon kinda thing. I might do this with my self made ones though......

can you open the tailgate and still have them facing backwards?

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ooooh :eek:

some progress.....Me likey

so i can't wait to see how bright they are through the tint....that's my major issue at the moment......

i actually want to do something like that but with a duel avenger/talon kinda thing. I might do this with my self made ones though......

can you open the tailgate and still have them facing backwards?

I still don't know how they will be through the tint. Hopefully I will have some time tonight to hook then up.

In the pictures of the one that is installed, the first shot is with the tailgate open, the second and third are with the glass open only. Since they are not attached to the hatch itself, they always remain rearward facing :yes:

Chris

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,968 Posts
cool......can't wait to see what they look like hooked up.....

all these cool set-ups make me want to do more to my truck........

I'm trying to save here people......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
694 Posts
I could mount them on the hatch, but then the wires would be much more visible, and the lighjts would summon space ships when the hatch was open.
:laugh: GEE, wonder where on earth you got that idea, lol :dielaugh:

WAVE OFF! WAVE OFF! I AM NOT STANDIFORD FIELD APPROACH ALL READY! :D

Looks good though, can't wait to see them working.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Looks good :thumbsup:

I know you've probably thought about it, but at night you might get a bit of flashback from them being a few inches away from the glass :m2:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Looks good :thumbsup:

I know you've probably thought about it, but at night you might get a bit of flashback from them being a few inches away from the glass :m2:
Actually I have mine this way and Chris asked me before doing it and mine gets almost none. Im running Whelen Par 36 strobes and a whelen slimlighter. Ofcoarse like he said, i have mine mounted to the plastic cross piece on the rear hatch so when the hatch is up the face up. But this is a consequence i am willing to live with since i dont sit on too many scenes with the rear hatch open and if it is i probably dont have the lights on.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
:laugh: GEE, wonder where on earth you got that idea, lol :dielaugh:

WAVE OFF! WAVE OFF! I AM NOT STANDIFORD FIELD APPROACH ALL READY! :D

Looks good though, can't wait to see them working.
BBBBWWWWAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!! :dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

Yes, that thought DID come from you. I laugh every time I think of that.

Anyway, I did get them installed :yes:
Finished up this morning, and they actually WORK!

Some stills of the install:

And you know I have videos! :laugh:

Rear with hatch glass closed:

Rear with hatch glass open :

Rear with taillights on also:

And a picture of the glass (I was asked if you could see them through the glass from the outside:

And two last videos. This will be the biggest issue with these. The flashback inside the cabin of the truck. I may need to work on this, or just play some Bee Gees music when I am running the strobes :dielaugh:

Any questions or comments are welcome :yes:

Chris

·
Registered
694 Posts
WOW Chris your right the flashback on your is pretty bad, mine isnt that bad, but i am also running read lights :D. lol But the install looks good! Unfortunatley I dont have a fix for you at this time, :( but will get back to you. However since i know you are as anal at installs as I am, you can pick up couple hundred feet of shrink tubing in various sizes from Harbor Freight for under 10 bucks and use it instead of that horrible wire/kink stuff. (near the heads that covers the wires till they are in the headliner) Also they sell de-pin pens that work on strobe connectors. A lot easier then using a small screwdriver and you wont screw up the pins.

On another note, Hope you havent chosen the license plate PINBALL because of your driving habits :dielaugh:

·
Registered
694 Posts
Allright Chris, I found them. They are Whelen's I think, little hard without having them in my hand. But i am pretty sure the are Whelen 500 series linear strobes.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Allright Chris, I found them. They are Whelen's I think, little hard without having them in my hand. But i am pretty sure the are Whelen 500 series linear strobes.
Thanks. Those look close, but these are not linear strobes :no:

They are removable tubes, much like the HAW bulbs, but different.

Chris

1 - 18 of 18 Posts