Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought CarQuest brand (made by Raybestos) rotors and premium ceramic pads for all 4 corners of my TB. I am going to install everything on Saturday. I have a few questions. The pads came with all new hardware, but should I use brake lube on the contact points where the pad housings contact the new hardware? If so, what kind is preferred? Should the caliper pins be lubed, and again if so, with what? Any tricks to getting the caliper bracket bolts off? Should anti-seize (blue or red) be used on those bolts when re-installing? If I put the front end up on jack stands, will I be able to grab the tires and turn them to make access easier for the caliper bracket bolts or does the power steering prevent this? Finally, what are the torque specs for the caliper bolts, caliper bracket bolts, and wheel lug nuts? Thanks in advance for all the help.

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
350 Posts
I believe if you got the def. will stops ( i used to work for carquest and we called the three grades of pads: may stops, will stops, and def. will stop) it should come with a little tube of anit squeal.. I would recommend using that (if it comes with it) but if it doesn't I think the carquest brand anti-squeal should do just fine.
I would also recommend the caliper pins being lube with a bit of general purpose grease (that comes in a tub)

and if you have both front wheels off the ground, you should be able to turn the wheel...our rigs don't even have a locking steering wheel (should make it easier)
The torque specs..i'm not sure of..but just keep in mind, before you put the lug nuts back on, you should put a little of that grease on the wheel studs, just to make it a easier next time the wheel has to come off (I never have any problems getting lug nuts off once i put grease on the studs - but again doing this is up to you)

Hope this helps...a little

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
The torque specs..i'm not sure of..but just keep in mind, before you put the lug nuts back on, you should put a little of that grease on the wheel studs, just to make it a easier next time the wheel has to come off (I never have any problems getting lug nuts off once i put grease on the studs - but again doing this is up to you)
Hope this helps...a little
It has been written many places that you should NEVER grease wheel studs. Wire brush any rust off but never use grease/anti-seize. Grease will allow the stud to loosen up on its own due to road vibriation. You need the friction between the stud/threads/rim + the proper torque (100-105 ft. lbs.) to help keep the stud where it belongs.
Just my :m2:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
2,667 Posts
It has been written many places that you should NEVER grease wheel studs. Wire brush any rust off but never use grease/anti-seize. Grease will allow the stud to loosen up on its own due to road vibriation. You need the friction between the stud/threads/rim + the proper torque (100-105 ft. lbs.) to help keep the stud where it belongs.
Just my :m2:
:iagree:

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
I had to use a breaked bar for the 2 bolts holding the metal bracket...
But Im a weakling...

even with wheel off- and truck up in the air- I was able to grab the rotor and turn so as to access the back.

·
Registered
5,268 Posts
oh yeah... dont lube the lug nuts.

·
Registered
2003 olds bravada
350 Posts
huh ok so my info on greasing the studs is wrong.....i never had any issues with it ...then again i haven't greased the studs on cars with aluminum wheels....only one's with steelies, and i had nooooo problems with it..maybe i was just getting lucky..

my apologies

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
86 Posts
Unless specifically noted in the service manual, all manufacturers' torque specifications are for dry clamping. The use of lubricant on threads will alter the actual torque. In the case of the lug nut this can result in rotor deformation because of excessive torque. A lubricated or dirty thread will invariably produce an actual torque different from the one displayed on the torque wrench.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the information. Does anyone have the torque spec for the caliper bolts and the caliper bracket bolts? The aluminum factory wheels are 100 foot pounds, correct? Any opinions for using brake lube on the contact points? The pads have the anti-squeak shim built onto the back of them, but I am wondering about the points where the pads sit on the clips and also if the brake lube should used on the caliper bolts themselves.

Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts