Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
How thick? I'll post some pics soon about how I bent the one Mike Barton made for me. Still trying to figure out how to get it flat.

1/4" aluminum is just not up for the entire weight of a trailvoy banging it into a rock.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,405 Posts
How thick? I'll post some pics soon about how I bent the one Mike Barton made for me. Still trying to figure out how to get it flat.

1/4" aluminum is just not up for the entire weight of a trailvoy banging it into a rock.
I def want to see this. I've got some rash on mine from the trails but not dented.. yet.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it does look like the skid plate bends under the plastic, its an illusion. I meant the plastic bumper cover has two broken side brackets so it looks crooked under the license plate holder.

If the plastic bent the skid plate, boy I would be in trouble if I actually hit something!

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,629 Posts
You don't think some supportive ribs would add some structural support? That's a long run that could use some vertical structure to minimize bending under load.

Whats the clearance to the radiator? For some reason I didn't think a straight run would clear the radiator. Nice to know that it will. Props on having the first radiator skidplate without a custom bumper (roadie, your hidden-hitch doesn't count).

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was going to put supports in , but trying to roll into 1/4" is nearly impossible without major equiptment. I may end up welding some in, I want to test it a little before I over engineered it. I did put the jack on several points and raised it on a 3/4" steel peg to see if it would bend under that stress. The whole truck picked up with slight felx to it. I know this is not like taking a hit at any speed, but there is only one way to test that.

The span is not really long. 5.5" returns under my oil pan plate, angles up 17" before it breaks up. I had to bring the front height lower so I did not have to put a second break in,and it clears everyhting under by 3-5".

I will get more pics.

:( the wife said no to the custom bumper, so I have to build around that stock look, which I Like.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,736 Posts

I def want to see this. I've got some rash on mine from the trails but not dented.. yet.
I think Bill's talking about the custom one that goes from the bumper back at an angle to the front of the oil pan plate... is that right, Bill? The one that you ran into a rock a few months ago?

In answer to your question about straightening...

(2) 2x4's
(1) sledge hammer

If it is the oil pan plate, though, I can make one for you out of 7ga (just less than 3/16") HRS... that's about as thick in steel as we can punch, here... That's substantially stronger than the frame material, though, so I'm concerned that the plate would be OK, but would jack up the frame... Hell, I bent the bottom thickness of the front crossmember jacking up the front end with a full sized floor jack (4" contact area) the first time I changed the oil when it had 600 miles on it...

1/4" 51/50 Aluminum. I had to break it with our 10ft hydralic break.

Did Mike us 6140 or 5150 for the skidplates?
It's 5052... It's what we use on everything here, except the billet blocks for machining, that is...

I don't find 6140 or 5150 in my Machinery's Handbook...

Mike

·
3,736 Posts
Moss,

The thing you will want, though, is some support going from the bottom of your bumper to the inside bottom of the plate, right below it... As it is, you're relying on the (4) 1/4" (?) bolts in tension (and looks like 1 in sheer) to hold all of the weight, when you could be using the bolts just for position on the bottom, and let the plate work against the bottom of the bumper support directly for support...

Also, that is a pretty long stretch without any support... The radiator skid plate that I'm doing (hopefully starting this Saturday) is going to be made of 7ga (~3/16") steel, sort of like the stock rad guard in shape, except longer, out to the frame rails. The ends of that will then bolt into the supports that go up to the bottoms of the frame rails. From the bottom of that, will be an angle piece like you've got, back to the front of the oil pan skid plate...

Mike

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,436 Posts
I think Bill's talking about the custom one that goes from the bumper back at an angle to the front of the oil pan plate... is that right, Bill? The one that you ran into a rock a few months ago?
Yes. Actually a few dozen rocks. Pics soon.
In answer to your question about straightening...

(2) 2x4's
(1) sledge hammer
I actually propped it on one 2X4, and DROVE over it. It didn't straighten. I think if I use 2 2X4's with a larger gap to the ground, it might bend back.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
477 Posts
The radiator skid plate that I'm doing (hopefully starting this Saturday) is going to be made of 7ga (~3/16") steel, sort of like the stock rad guard in shape, except longer, out to the frame rails. The ends of that will then bolt into the supports that go up to the bottoms of the frame rails. From the bottom of that, will be an angle piece like you've got, back to the front of the oil pan skid plate...
Mike
How soon until this appears in the Trailvoy Armory catalog? Stainless steel bolts and hardware included again this time?
Need price, shipping cost to zip code 17402, and delivery date.
Do not forget I have the 4.2 I6, not a V8.

Former and potential 2nd time customer,

·
3,736 Posts
How soon until this appears in the Trailvoy Armory catalog? Stainless steel bolts and hardware included again this time?
Need price, shipping cost to zip code 17402, and delivery date.
Do not forget I have the 4.2 I6, not a V8.

Former and potential 2nd time customer,
I don't know yet... Has to be designed and prototyped first...it will almost certainly involve drilling the bottom of the frame, next to the radiator, though... No big deal though as they will be from the bottom and east to get a drill on...

Again, it has to be designed before I can answer any of your questions...

Mike

·
3,736 Posts
Cool.. Thought guys were on it. I s someone on the prototype yet? If not I am on it like a fat kid on a cup cake. :crackup:

The V8 and I6 radiators are the same size and mounting (maybe different end tanks, but no big deal), so mine will suffice for fitment... I'll have to get one to Teebes or somebody in the southwest for cooling testing, though Bill hasn't had a problem with his cooling with the M-fan and angle plate that I made for him, so it should be fine... We will see...

Mike

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.