Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

After a some rough driving my A/C compressor made a whirling noise when I accelerated. Now its grinding. Only when its on. The A/C is cold. I also lose more power than usual with the AC on.

Could it be the bearings or clutch, or a new compressor :S ? Is there anything easy I could check? Like a fuse or reset.

The mechanics here are tricky and will try to sell me a new compressor.

I'm going to sell it in 2 months.

Thanks

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
64 Posts
You may have a leak somewhere. In ac systems, the freon runs along with the oil to lubricate the parts. If you have a freon leak, then you may well be running out of oil and is fouling everything up. You can take it to a reputable shop and have them test the pressure. This will tell if you have either a leak or a blockage. On an old Taurus I had, I had my shop test it and they found that I had a blockage in the high pressure tube. I figured that if I don't use it, it won't hurt anything. That is also about 2 weeks before it locked up going down the interstate at about 80mph and catching on fire due to not moving under the belt. Not fun having to fix on the side of the interstate. I ended up having to bypass the ac compressor as well as take the tensioner off(had oreillys bring me a belt that was an inch and a half too short so it would hold without a tensioner)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
672 Posts
You may have a leak somewhere. In ac systems, the freon runs along with the oil to lubricate the parts. If you have a freon leak, then you may well be running out of oil and is fouling everything up. You can take it to a reputable shop and have them test the pressure. This will tell if you have either a leak or a blockage. On an old Taurus I had, I had my shop test it and they found that I had a blockage in the high pressure tube. I figured that if I don't use it, it won't hurt anything. That is also about 2 weeks before it locked up going down the interstate at about 80mph and catching on fire due to not moving under the belt. Not fun having to fix on the side of the interstate. I ended up having to bypass the ac compressor as well as take the tensioner off(had oreillys bring me a belt that was an inch and a half too short so it would hold without a tensioner)
"You may have a leak somewhere. In ac systems, the freon runs along with the oil to lubricate the parts. If you have a freon leak, then you may well be running out of oil and is fouling everything up."

A low pressure switch on the a/c system shuts down the compressor, when Freon gets low.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yes but the oil also helps lube the bearings in the pulley. At least on my taurus(not saying they are the same but it may be). I never ran mine and it still locked up.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
672 Posts
Yes but the oil also helps lube the bearings in the pulley. At least on my taurus(not saying they are the same but it may be). I never ran mine and it still locked up.
Oil is mixed with the Freon, when the pressure gets low, the compressor shuts down. I'm not making comparisons to other brands, only saying what Chevy does.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wasn't sure if Chevy did that or not. Just figured I'd post with the possibility of avoiding a potentially catastrophic event. Thanks for clearing that up

·
Registered
64 Posts
Is it like ice cold or just cool? If it's just cool, then it may still be low on freon. But as robertgee said, it should have shut itself down. If it's ice cold then, it may be good on freon but maybe a faulty bearing? Also have you ever had this a/c system serviced by a shop? Some of the shops ac machines have independent reservoirs for freon and oil and they have to manually press a button the add the oil. Could have been a forgetful tech doing the service.

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
fixed, sort of

Thanks. I had the whole a/c system replaced. No more sounds. However now my radiator fluid tank is bubbling. What could of happened?

·
Registered
64 Posts
They may have taken the radiator out and let air into te system. You can bleed it by opening the radiator cap(engine off while it's cool) start the car and let it run for 30 mins to an hour. Rev it slightly a couple of times. You can watch the coolant and see the bubbles come out. When you don't see anymore rev it a couple of times just slightly and check again. If it's good then you should be good to replace cap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts