Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does a 2004 Envoy have a replacable A/C filter and if so where is it?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wait! What! My 2005 TB has a cabin filter?

G'wan - you're greening me!

EDIT ---> Amazon has no such listing for my vehicle.... so do I do or do I don't have one?

·
Registered
Chevy Trailblazer 2008 LTZ (4.2L)
188 Posts
At 99.99% you will not have a cabin filter (2005). Unless of course the previous owner did not put it :)
I met cars only until the 2003 release equipped with a cabin filter, maybe in 2004 it is, but rarely ...

·
Registered
679 Posts
Thanks, Vega - I 'retired' in 2004 so I never saw these vehicles in any of my shops - they were all on manufacturer's warranties yet so why should anyone pay to have factory screw-ups repaired?

OK - I guess I'm STILL NOT REALLY ACTUALLY RETIRED - not in a classical sense anyway!

TBs and rtheir ilk are a learning curve for me right now - but it's more like a straight up, 90 degree curve!

Thanks for the clarification....

·
Registered
188 Posts
Unfortunately, I do not know why GM refused to install a cabin filter in the following years of production of our cars. But if there is a desire it is not difficult to install it yourself, though the original cover can no longer be bought (it has long been discontinued) but it is easy to make it from improvised materials.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Is there a location for it? Is the insides of the plenum ready to accept a filter? I can make a door for it - but I'm kinda amazed if it's a do-able thing.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yes, there is a place for installation, all you need is to cut a window in plastic.
It should look something like this:
Do not forget to install the filter correctly, the direction of air flow is shown on the body by an arrow (marked on the photo) and also on the filter itself.
bg458es-960.jpg

·
Registered
679 Posts
My next project.... right after I recover from my latest surgery.

Like I really needed more projects!

·
Registered
679 Posts
In for a dime.... in for a dollar I always say......

Reactions: JohnTB2002

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I checked mine and I would have to cut out the panel. To much BS for a 16 year old car I won't have to much longer. 2004 with only 67,000 miles.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
11 Posts
It was relatively easy to do with an oscillating saw. I initially taped up the opening with aluminum tape, but was able to find the actual part on eBay.

The filter did make a difference on my 2004 XUV as my wife no longer complains about the dust and smell.

·
Registered
679 Posts
How about residual cigarette smoke? The previous owner (my daughter-in-law) smoked in the car so she doesn't smoke in the house.

I've got the smell down to a small percentage - but those last few percentage points are hard to get rid of even with hangy-down air fresheners that smells like Hoppes #9.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xuv
11 Posts
I doubt the filters would help that much as the tar is stuck to every pore in the truck. You would need to scrub down all of the interior surfaces, then use a duct cleaner like the A/C Pro Vent & Duct Cleaner Odor Neutralizer from multiple online sites.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Or just open the window . ;)
4-at-85 didn't make much difference either. Sunshine and oxygen should work --- I'm patient and I can't really smell it anyway - just "the woman" does and she has her own vehicles to drive.

The TB is MINE!

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
288 Posts
4-at-85 didn't make much difference either. Sunshine and oxygen should work --- I'm patient and I can't really smell it anyway - just "the woman" does and she has her own vehicles to drive.

The TB is MINE!
There ya go . :)
ANd , who's to say that maybe her sniffer isn't exactly perfect ? LOL

·
Registered
679 Posts
Ya know --- you're right! They say that your sense of smell is the first thing to go if you've got C-19!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..... I wonder..................

1 - 20 of 22 Posts