Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005 gmc envoy sle.

I was driving home from the store and smelled an overpowering burning smell all of a sudden. Clanking noise coming from under the hood. Got home a few minutes later and let my husband take a look. He says the A/C compressor is shot because he can't turn it by hand as if to say it's "seized".

I'm not under warranty and bought the rig used. Described issue to the dealer and they agreed that it sounds like a bad a/c compressor and they want $800 to $1000 to fix but husband says he's sure he can do it himself and then we can just get it recharged. Has anyone replaced their a/c compressor themselves and give us any feedback?

Thanks much.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
maybe an AC shop will charge less than the dealer?
I think a few people on here have run into your situation....
I think your husband can do the job. But for some reason I keep thinking about evacuating the present gas... or getting moisture in the system...
lets see what others say...

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
365 Posts
You can do the replacement yourself. You will need to have the system evacuated (have the refrigerant removed) by an A/C shop before you start taking things apart. You must also replace the accumulator and the orifice tube(s), (if you have an EXT, you will have an additional tube and evaporator for the rear A/C) as metal particles from the failed compressor will become lodged in these components. You must also replace any o-rings and gaskets that you encounter during replacement to prevent leaks.

Once you have the compressor, accumulator, and orifice tube(s) removed, make sure that you flush the system. Flush solution is available at most auto part stores and the only equipment needed to do the flush is an air compressor with a nozzle. Follow the directions that come with the flush solution. You need to flush all plumbing, the evaporator(s), and the condenser. Failure to do this will most likely ruin your new compressor, as the metal particles from the old one will destroy the pistons, valves, and seals. This would not be covered under the new compressor warranty.

Once you have flushed the system, install the new compressor, orifice tube, and accumulator. Make sure that you add the correct amount and type of oil to the new accumulator and compressor. You will also need to manually turn the compressor to pre-oil it. Do this before installing it into the vehicle. After everything is back in place and tightened to spec, take the vehicle to an A/C shop. They will need to connect the A/C system to a Vacuum Pump to bring the system down to a vacuum. This will remove all moisture from the system and will alert you of any leaks. Once the system has been brought down to and holds a vacuum, they will charge with the correct amount of R-134a refrigerant. Make sure that they also put UV dye in the system in case you develop a leak. This dye will help to determine where the leak is occurring.

If you choose to do the replacement yourself, you will save a great deal of money. It is not the easiest thing to do on a vehicle, but certainly not the hardest.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,267 Posts
sounds like this is a job for a AC shop... Id hate to have some debris left over and ruin your compressor again... ????

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
47 Posts
You can do the replacement yourself. You will need to have the system evacuated (have the refrigerant removed) by an A/C shop before you start taking things apart. You must also replace the accumulator and the orifice tube(s), (if you have an EXT, you will have an additional tube and evaporator for the rear A/C) as metal particles from the failed compressor will become lodged in these components. You must also replace any o-rings and gaskets that you encounter during replacement to prevent leaks.
I've undertaken this job for the 2003 TB. I have the compressor replaced, and new accumulator in, but I can't find the orifice tube. Can anyone shed some light on the location of the orifice tube? I saw in a different thread that it's located under the coolant overflow, but it isn't there. I've pulled just about every other fitting, and no dice.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
orifice tube trailblazer

the orifice tube on a 2003 trailblazer is on the right hand side under the the air box Follow the high side line there is a 10mm nut you have to take off at a block

{careful very fragile} the high side line is going to the evaporator from the condenser

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1 Posts
I have an 04 Trailblazer and am having the same problem with the a/c compressor. Accept mine consistantly wines and when the compressor engages, it simply gets louder.I bought a used compressor and want to swap them out. Can anyone help me with some tips on getting started or is there another sight that can guide me through some steps. I read on some other threads that I need to take apart the fan shrowd and take off the fan to get access to the compressor .. Is there anything else I should worry about or will this give me enough room to work? Also if I need to replace the o rifice tube and the accumulator, am I able to buy a package at the store that contains all the o-rings and gaskets?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
3 Posts
Bump for a reply

I have an 04 Trailblazer and am having the same problem with the a/c compressor. Accept mine consistantly wines and when the compressor engages, it simply gets louder.I bought a used compressor and want to swap them out. Can anyone help me with some tips on getting started or is there another sight that can guide me through some steps. I read on some other threads that I need to take apart the fan shrowd and take off the fan to get access to the compressor .. Is there anything else I should worry about or will this give me enough room to work? Also if I need to replace the o rifice tube and the accumulator, am I able to buy a package at the store that contains all the o-rings and gaskets?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
47 Posts
Bump for a reply

I don't recall touching my fan assembly. I worked from underneath and the side. It's been a while. I do remember it being a complete PITA.

You want to replace all o-rings, gaskets and the orifice tube/filter.

If you have a used compressor from a junk yard, you may want some compressor oil (not the full spec). If it was from a retailer (refurb), check to see how much oil you need to put in (usually full amount).

Pressure sensors used to stick / go-bad for these models. But as they say, If it ain't broke, don't fix.

Once done, you need to put a vacuum on it and make sure it holds before filling with refrig.

Good luck...

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1 Posts
A/C compressor

My 06 Envoy 4x4 was screaming so I took off the belt and spun the pulleys. None were rough but the A/C made a slight noise. I got the compressor from Rockauto but the trick was getting it in. The fan, clutch and shroud must come up and out first. I had to make a tool to hold the water pump hub so that a 1 1/2 inch wrench(just welded up a Y shape with a bolt hole in the 2 Y's. I removed 2 bolts and bolted the Y in place so that I could hold the hub) would turn the fan nut. Once that stuff is out of the way I accessed the compressor bolts from the wheel well. It barely wiggles out the front without removing the idler or alternator. I did not vac the system or change any other parts since the compressor did not blow up(just the bearing was noisy) I fired in a few cans of glacier gold and it runs very quiet and cold!(You can replace just the bearing but for 226 CAD I chose the whole compressor.) Only thing with the new compressor is it does not come with the stud for hoses. I purchased a new 10mm bolt since I could not get the old stud out of old compressor. Hope this helps somebody!
-Dale

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2 Posts
Trailblazer A/C Compressor Replacement

Hi All, just went through A/C compressor replacement. My 2004 Trailblazer 4.2 had the whine sound coming from the compressor when disengaged, it got louder when engaged. Thought about trying to replace the clutch bearing but decided to replace the compressor. Bought a reman compressor from Advance auto Parts for $207.99. Heres a quick write up. I did this whole job from the top of the engine with the exception of needing to drain the coolant through the lower radiator hose. First get the ac system drained and evacuated of freon. Take your smartphone and take pictures as you go, its invaluable to putting everything back together again.
1. Drain coolant through lower radiator hose, I also removed the battery just to get it out of the way-not really needed but it did make more room to work. At least disconnect the negative terminal.
2. Remove upper radiator hose. Remove serp belt.
3. Using a fan clutch tool i borrowed from the parts store, remove the fan clutch from water pump, and unplug it from connector on shroud and pop the trans cooler lines from their shroud holders. This next part is a bitch people. The fan/clutch needs to be pulled out together with the fan shroud. A few small bolts secure the fan shroud. In theory its just supposed to lift out all together but no, the upper radiator hose mount on the radiator is blocking the lift out. After cursing and swearing on weather or not to remove the whole radiator, I decided to cut a slot in the top of the fan shroud with a hack saw to make a passage for the fan shroud to pass. This did work and only the really knowledgable may ever notice the cut when back together. Whew glad thats done.
4. Remove the alternator and its connections. Remove a/c line from bracket by altrenator. Remove the black bracket by removing three screws. I actually removed the two forward facing bolts and bent the bracket upwards just a bit to work the alternator out, does not take much but easier than trying to get that 3rd bolt out from behind. When reinstalling the bolts it'll pull back nicely.
5. Remove the idler pulley and bracket to make room for the compressor to come out.
6.Unplug the electrical connection on the a/c compr. Remove the bolt on the a/c lines on the compressor, then he four bolts that hold the compressor to the block. You can get the compressor out from under the hood towards the front.
7. OPTIONAL BUT DO IT!-I decided at this time to also replace my thermostat. The Trailblazer is known for check engine lights due to thermostats sticking open and giving a coolant temp below threshold code. To replace it the alternator has to be out of the way anyway and for $30 at Advance I figure put it on to save having to do most of this all again. And if you came this far you will run to the store to get the thermostat as you wont want to do this again. LOL
8.Bolt in the new thermostat and ac comp using new O rings. Plug in A/C compr. Make sure your compressor is filled with PAG 150 oil!!!!
9. Reinstall everything in reverse order, I'm not gonna list it all in reverse here. Of course refill antifreeze.
10. When changing the compressor you are supposed to also replace the receiver dryer as well. I did not as my compressor was still working fine just making clutch bearing noises. Since it was external of the compressor I decided that there should not be any internal contaminates. Hope I'm right.

Another tip, I used a stick to prop the hood up on the passenger side. This way the metal hood prop rod was left down. That this is directly where you are trying to work and is a PITA to work around for this whole job. Overall this is not a 15 minute job. I'm pretty mechanically inclinded with cars and I have about 4 hours into this. Id rate it as a 4-5 if 10 was toughest. Other than that shroud/clutch this its really not a bad job. Just take your time and use common sense (such as not loosing any screws or bolts etc.) . Once all back together take to garage to get system evacuated and charged. Hope this helps and work at your own risk. Take this as a suggestion and not an exact Alldata replacement procedure. My A/C is working quiet and cold.:)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2 Posts
over heated

Any one have a ideal on my 03 trail blazer. The air condisioner works great then starts blowing hot air. only blows cold when it feels like it. I pulled the hvac 36 fuse from the fuse box under the seat for ten seconds then put the key on and let it do its thing for a few minutes. it worked great for two days then back to hot air?????
Another problem I've had is the lift gate lock, when I open the lid the lock keeps locking and unlocking so I dis contected it. and Ideal were it shorts out at I check all the wires in the lift gate and just inside the body.????

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
56 Posts
failed a/c compressor internals and clutch bearing. temporarily bypassed with shorter belt. instead of tackling myself, decided to take to local mechanic. $675 to replace with new compressor, evacuate and re-charge the system. compressor cost online was $165 (new - amazon or rockauto), local shop cost $300 (new - with 1 year warranty). did not replace the orifice tube/strainer or the accumulator/drier. i bypassed the failing compressor before it totally seized/locked up (started to make some alarming metal-on-metal banging noises, presuming internals were starting to break. also a/c stopped working intermittently.).

·
Registered
4 Posts
2005 gmc envoy sle.

I was driving home from the store and smelled an overpowering burning smell all of a sudden. Clanking noise coming from under the hood. Got home a few minutes later and let my husband take a look. He says the A/C compressor is shot because he can't turn it by hand as if to say it's "seized".

I'm not under warranty and bought the rig used. Described issue to the dealer and they agreed that it sounds like a bad a/c compressor and they want $800 to $1000 to fix but husband says he's sure he can do it himself and then we can just get it recharged. Has anyone replaced their a/c compressor themselves and give us any feedback?

Thanks much.
Not very hard just time consuming taking Everthing out of the way. I got a compressor from a salvage used and a bottle of ac oil (pag oil). Put a slow vacuum on it for about 45 min and added freon. Total cost was under 100.00.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts