Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya fellas, I have an '04 Envoy XL with a chonky 203k miles, and the A/C has gone bad. Tried to recharge it with a couple cans of R134A and it seems to hold it in, but the compressor clutch won't engage to send the refrigerant through the system.

Am I dealing with a bad compressor? Would this be remedied by replacing the compressor and accumulator or is there another issue I'm not aware of? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried to get the compressor to engage by pressurizing the system with some refrigerant, but it still wouldn't kick on. I also did already try resetting that relay, and the fuse was still good. I'll try jumping that relay sometime this week though!
Probably just gonna end up buying a cheapo a/c repair kit off fleabay that comes with the compressor, oil, and expansion valve. Can get the gauges to vacuum and recharge the system for pretty cheapo too.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
26 Posts
Check the low pressure switch mounted on the receiver/drier. I've had two go bad on my 2002 and even a licensed A/C shop missed it as the issue. Pull the wire connector and and use a small paperclip or wire to jumper the terminals inside the wire connector. If your compressor engages, you found the problem. its a quick cheap fix to replace it and doesn't require you to open up they system.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check the low pressure switch mounted on the receiver/drier. I've had two go bad on my 2002 and even a licensed A/C shop missed it as the issue. Pull the wire connector and and use a small paperclip or wire to jumper the terminals inside the wire connector. If your compressor engages, you found the problem. its a quick cheap fix to replace it and doesn't require you to open up they system.

Good Luck
I'll take a peek at that here soon, thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
77 Posts
I had the same issue a year ago and it ended up being the clutch. I went to the junkyard and pulled just a clutch from one for $10 just to try it. My old one was burnt and just not engaging. The good thing was it only cost me $10 and didn't have to open the system. These are very easy to replace also, the only "special" tool you need is a set of snap ring pliers.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
168 Posts
Yep, when this happened to my '03, the clutch wouldn't pull in (engage) by itself--but if I whacked it with a broom-handle, it would hold engagement until I shut it off.

I was told that clutches are not available separately, so it would need a complete replacement compressor 'n' dryer.

The AC hasn't been as cool ever since. (but it does work.)

Consider just re-setting the clutch air-gap. Might be all it needs.

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
12 Posts
Thegrimtaho:
Did you have an intermittent AC problem or did it fail all at once and never came back?

The paperclip trick should rule out the state of charge although a couple of cans should have been enough to get the compressor to snap on. If there is a leak big enough that the compressor did not engage, I would think a leak would be noticeable.

If everything else was working fine and the problem was not a complete cut out, as in it worked sometimes - it sounds like it may be the clutch. Did you try other calls for AC like Defrost and Recirculate? It could rule out some weird electric switch problem.

...And I know AC repair calls for the replacement of the dryer and orifice tube when the system is opened but if the compressor did not fail - only the clutch, and the system was not open for weeks or suffered from other contamination, I would not worry about replacing those parts.

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
12 Posts
I had the same issue a year ago and it ended up being the clutch. I went to the junkyard and pulled just a clutch from one for $10 just to try it. My old one was burnt and just not engaging. The good thing was it only cost me $10 and didn't have to open the system. These are very easy to replace also, the only "special" tool you need is a set of snap ring pliers.
This is great news....DETAILS PLEASE!!!!!

I am 99% sure my AC is fine except for the compressor clutch. I looked at replacing the compressor and it looks like the compressor will not come off the truck - ya got to remove the truck from the compressor! So your idea sounds like relative pleasure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts