Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have searched the threads and found pieces of helpful info but symptoms have varied so let me lay mine out. I have an 03 TB EXT LT. Dual climate control - auto. A/C blows warm air. Really warm on hot days (August in VA). On my 45 minute commute home yesterday afternoon the passenger side middle vent seemed to be the "coldest" blowing at about 70 degrees (temp was 90+ outside). This morning it was blowing at 60 degrees (was about 80 outside). Driver side vent closest to the door feels considerably hotter, as do the rear vents. I recharged my a/c last summer using A/C Pro (I know, I know...smh) and inadvertently overcharged it. When my bro-in-law and I checked the psi on it this past weekend, it was at 60 psi. We purged it down to 50 psi to see if it made a difference, but no joy. Going to get it down to 40 psi tonight and see if that works. But in the interim, I'll list the other things I've done up to this point. Tried tapping the low pressure switch under the hood (read about that in a thread here) but didn't notice any change. Can and lines do not feel hot to the touch, but not cold either (also read in a thread). The can does have some play when you try to wiggle it, not sure if that matters. Just trying to give as much info as possible. Compressor appears to be working. Fan clutch seems to be working fine, and by fine I mean has the usual ticking upon start up and goes away once the engine cycles, which has been business as usual since I bought this thing in 2008. I can hear the change over when switching the a/c to internal circulation, so no issue there. External temp reading is accurate. Engine temp reads normal, coolant level is as it should be... Anybody have any ideas?? I was considering just replacing the low pressure switch and seeing what happens, since it is apparently a known issue with these TB's, but Advanced has them for $30, not the lower prices I have seen some have paid in passed years so not sure I want to throw away $30 if I am possibly going to paying considerably more in the near future, if that isn't the issue. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replaced compressor and accumulator - no joy

I'm really surprised nobody has offered a word of advice. I've been reviewing these forums for years and people always seem so helpful. I'm still holding out hope someone may jump in here and offer some advice.

That said, this weekend my brother in law (a mechanic) and I did some work but still no joy. Here's what we did:

Tested the low pressure control switch - working.

Checked the actuators to ensure they were working - they were.

Verified relay and fuse were fine.

Added Freon to see if the temp dropped - still blowing at 80 degrees.

Went ahead and changed out the compressor (brand new, not reman) and accumulator.

Discharged the entire system, vacuum pumped the lines out and ensured the system held steady with a -30 vacuum.

Added 1 can of Freon and everything was looking good - low side was reading 40 psi and high side was at 285.

Started adding second can and the high side dropped to 100 while the low side spike to 70ish. Temp at that time actually went from 80 to 90. Went ahead and stopped there as the readings should not have been at those levels. We plan on changing the orifice tube this evening and finish adding the rest of the freon to 3lbs and hoping it works from there. This has us at a loss. We just can't imagine what the issue could be...

I'm $300 bucks in and REALLY hoping the new compressor isn't junk out of the box...:crazy:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Problem solved.

So, I solved my own issue. Went back in last night to change the orifice tube, which we had forgotten the night before. I suspect when we vacuumed out the system on Sunday, it force some small metal chunks into the old orifice tube, which caused our problem with the pressures not reading right when trying to add the Freon. So we changed the tube, then vacuumed out the system again, then refilled it. Next thing you know, COLD! Just in case anybody ever has this problem, here is what I did in total:

1. Changed the compressor.

2. Changed the accumulator.

3. Changed the orifice tube.

4. Drained/vacuumed the system out.

5. Filled it with (4) 12oz cans of R134a Freon and (1) 3oz can of A/C Pro R-134a PAG 46 Oil Charge with ICE 32.

The compressor was like $240 (new), the accumulator and 5 cans of Freon ran like $80, the oil/Freon can was like $8 and the orifice tube was $2.

Total cost of repair: approx. $350. Hours: approx. 5 hours total.

Temp readings last night were around 40-45 degrees. Verified blowing cold out of all vents in both in the front and rear.

Pretty much a new a/c system for a mere fraction of the cost had it gone to a shop for repair. I honestly expected to get at least some sort of helpful advice along the way and was a little disappointed that I didn't. Especially since I took the time to put as much info as I could as opposed to threads that start off like "My a/c is broke. What do I do?" with no info provided yet they get 100 replies in return. Oh well. Hopefully this is helpful to someone else...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to see that nobody jumped in to help you out. What you did sure does help me out. Dont know much about A/C, But do know how to install parts. The local A/C guy charges $180 just fill my system, Think I'll just buy a complete system, Install it, then have him charge it.
Thx

1 - 4 of 4 Posts