Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, 02 TB with 165k miles. A/C wasn't running, was thinking it was teh low pressure switch but decided to check the pressure first. System was loooooow. Here's teh kicker, I went to fill it up right? I needed to run the compressor, so I filled it a little bit without running it via a jumper wire, and then when that pressure got up there I ran the compressor for 5 seconds. However, before I ran a oil starved compressor I decided to watch the pressure and saw it ever so slowly drop.

SO I shut the engine off and listened for a leak. I could still see the pressure drop, so I took teh gauge off to make sure that wasn't it. Sound was still there when I disconnected it. So then I put my hand on the accumulator and just give it a little rocking and the leaking sound gets louder. It wasn't from the connection joints, but almost from teh middle to lower side of the accumulator. Is it possible the accumulator/drier is leaking (I guess anything is possible, right?)? There was some type of fluid at the bottom of that accumulator.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
This would be an AC shop item for me as I don't have the slightest idea or the proper tools to get this done. :eek: Maybe someone else can help?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This morning I pumped up car with more refrigerant after I had wiped off the bottom of the accumulator, filled the system with the rest of the r134a can and then came back and saw that there was fluid again at the bottom of the accumulator. So I'm pretty sure it's that accumulator as the leak wasn't coming from any of the fittings. I'll order that today and hopefully replace that next week. We'll see. I'll let you guys know what I find.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
You cannot wipe up 134a, it boils @-15 or so. If the vehicle is running then the fluid on the evap is moisture, water, caused by the evap being cold. What is the low and high pressure when the vehicle is idling? This is the first 1 lb can? How long has it been sence the AC worked well?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hear ya, but it could be the oil in the refridgerant can, right. I can actually feel the air/refrigerant coming out past the accumulator insulation and then have this oily liquid at the bottom, so I figured that was my problem. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

The system is completely empty. When I fill it up, I can watch the pressure drop ever so slowly and feel something escaping around the accumulator.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
Do not forget to pull a vacuum on the system when you replace the accumulator. Also add the correct oil and the correct amount. (I do not remember the amount or type)

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
5 Posts
I hear ya, but it could be the oil in the refridgerant can, right. I can actually feel the air/refrigerant coming out past the accumulator insulation and then have this oily liquid at the bottom, so I figured that was my problem. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

The system is completely empty. When I fill it up, I can watch the pressure drop ever so slowly and feel something escaping around the accumulator.
I'm ASE certified in automotive a/c.
I would strongly advise against using any type of refrigerant with anything in it other then refrigerant.(oil,stop leak,etc)

When you have a leak,you also loose oil,and it is impossible to determine how much oil is lost. If you ad to much oil,or not enough oil because of the all in one can,you will loose your compressor.

The proper way to do this is first evacuate the system.
Then put the system under pressure,after the leak is fixed to ensure both-the leaks are fixed,and there is no refrigerant/oil/moisture remaining.

After that then you can refill with the proper oil,and refrigerant,and again do not use the crap sold from parts stores with additives!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool, thanks for the information!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Pretty sure I found the problem.... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts