Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it OK to use 80W lows and 100W highs in the Trailblazers? I want more light but do not want to go with HID's. Are there better options to go for getting more light? I'll have the quad light mod done tonite and am adding factory fogs next month.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
223 Posts
Been there, tried that. They'll fry the connector that plug into the bulb. Won't happen in a week, won't happen in a month, but in a few months they will melt your connectors. Spend the $60 and get an HID kit.:m2:

·
Registered
2002 chevy
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I needed to know. Thanks. I had done this in my 88 Trooper with no issues but these newer vehicles are a different breed. How about the Toshiba bulbs and the Silverstar's, are they really better with the same watts?
If I go HID, will they beam like 100 watt bulbs? How do they really measure output for an actual camparison.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,236 Posts
Try the newest version of the Sylvainia Silverstars... They are GREAT. They shine wider, and brighter (but not bluer -- the "hyper white" or "blue" lights do not throw more lumens on the road and they are not better for actual night vision -- they are more obnoxious when meeting oncoming traffic) than the standard Silverstar bulbs. I like them A LOT.

http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-9005...s_2?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&carId=001

I also did the Mr. Taillight 4-lamp conversion. That is even better when driving in the country.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
Go with some HIDs from Jetttstream on here or VVME.com. That's where I got mine a month ago and got them all hooked up. Love em. I've used all the aftermarket bulbs and although the 100W high beams were bright they are nothing compared to the HID I just got. Also, I got sick of replacing wiring harnesses twice a year when they melt. Silverstar's are very nice, I use them in my high beams, but nothing beats HID

·
Registered
2002 chevy
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As stated before, they will melt the harness.

I had a pair in my car few months back, melted one of the harnesses, thankfully it was a cheap fix.
Any idea why they melted? the watts are the same but they pull more amps?

Yes I've decided to go all HID's. I'll start a different thread for that question once I do a search first.

·
Registered
705 Posts
keep in mind when going with HID high beams, they take maybe 20 seconds or so to warm up, and they aren't really intended to be turned on and off alot, so HID aren't necessarily the best high beams. I ended up using HID low beams, and Silverstar highs. then hooked up the quad beams so they are all on when the highs are on.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I see where you are coming from with the HID/Low's and Silver/High's but I think I'll go All HID because the lows are on all the time and I'll have quad's as well so the High's can take 20 sec with out worrys. I live in ND and when my high are on they stay on for a long time. Lots of low traffic - long open roads here.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I see where you are coming from with the HID/Low's and Silver/High's but I think I'll go All HID because the lows are on all the time and I'll have quad's as well so the High's can take 20 sec with out worrys. I live in ND and when my high are on they stay on for a long time. Lots of low traffic - long open roads here.
Sounds good. Trust me, you'll love them. What color did you decide to go with? Mine are 6000K, and I love them. I think the 8000K are too blue, plus you start losing light output. 6000K is vry white, with the slightest blue. The ones you see stock on a factory vehicle with HID are 4300K. Anything above 8000K you're just begging to get pulled over and you can't see as well anyways.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.