Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I've never done it, but I can't imagine any other way besides this.

Edit: Upon further thought, I don't get it either. My first drawing ignores the idler pulley. Maybe the second drawing? Try it, is all I can recommend.

Attachments

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thoughts Roadie. That's the same hang up I was having, wasn't sure how the belt dealt with the idler pulley. I didn't want to pick up the idler pulley because it would have left only about 90 degrees of belt wrap on the alternator and I was concerned that wouldn't be enough wrap to avoid slip under load.

I got the belt and it actually is your first drawing. The new belt skips both the compressor and the idler. Plenty of wrap on the alternator - but reduced wrap on the coolant pump. Works okay, it is a touch on the long side, but the tensioner had just enough travel to take it in. I don't think there is enough belt tension, but it works for short term.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
alternate belt for AC compressor bypass

The previous thread talked about a belt # 705K6. I tried this one and it was too short for my Trailblazer. I ended up with a 695K6 and it worked great. So anyone needing this should check it out. Mine is a 2002 EXT if that helps.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
The previous thread talked about a belt # 705K6. I tried this one and it was too short for my Trailblazer. I ended up with a 695K6 and it worked great. So anyone needing this should check it out. Mine is a 2002 EXT if that helps.

Did you use the idler pulley? Roadies 2nd drawing?

The EXT and XL use the shorter belt.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
2 Posts
I did not use the idler pulley. A longer belt would allow this to be used, but then the ribs would be running on the flat pulley. The routing would be as the first sketch.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
I know this thread is a bit old, but I ran into a similar situation when my A/C Compressor locked up a few days ago and was able to get my 2003 Envoy SLT going again by using the 705K6 belt. I used the routing method in the first image above which bypasses the A/C Compressor and the Idler pulley. I haven't noticed any slippage or other issues from running it this way. Just thought I'd pass along another confirmation that this works. It saved me a ton of money in towing charges since I was about 40 miles away from home when it happened.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
705k6 belt

My AC compressor clutch started having a fit in the last few days. Being a holiday weekend I am unable to have it fixed so I also used the 705k6 belt to bypass the clutch. This worked great on my Envoy. Mine is a 2003 with around 142,000 miles. I have the regular length version, I did not put it around the pulley either and the belt fit perfect. I hope this helps someone also because I know that all of the posts that others posted sure did help me. Thank you for all of your input!!! :thx

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
1 Posts
Thanks for the help!

My brother in-law called Sunday, He was a couple hundred miles from home and the compressor was making a racket. I suggested he look for a shorter belt to bypass it. Well I did the the google search and found this wonderful forum!
Long story short Advance had the belts, I think he used the shorter one.
It had him going in 15 minutes.Now he's gonna look for the replacement clutch bearing. It's his girlfriends' Envoy, and other than the tranny, has been a good ride.
So, thanks again forum members, you got another owner out of a jam!:thx

·
Registered
2004 isuzu ascender
3 Posts
Does anyone know if that AC clutch bearing is how you fix the rattling on the AC compressor for sure or is there more to it ???

I'm getting a knocking from my compressor for sure, and when I turn the AC on, it nullify's about 90% of it.
I was going to get the bypass belt but the problem is I want to sell my vehicle, and I am thinking of repairing this before selling.
Any input is appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
4,125 Posts
More than likely. Sure beats getting a new compressor. Also, taking it apart will tell you for sure which one it is. I can't remember if my pulley had any play when I took the belt off but I'm sure it did since half the bb's were missing.

Oh and when using the shorter belt you don't use the idler

Does anyone know if that AC clutch bearing is how you fix the rattling on the AC compressor for sure or is there more to it ???

I'm getting a knocking from my compressor for sure, and when I turn the AC on, it nullify's about 90% of it.
I was going to get the bypass belt but the problem is I want to sell my vehicle, and I am thinking of repairing this before selling.
Any input is appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
86 Posts
I know this is a old thread. But maybe someone can still answer this. I'm bypassing on a 02 XL

I dont understand how 705K6 belt was to short and the 695K6 worked perfect? The 695K6 69.488" is a shorter belt then 705K6 70.472".

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt_xl
86 Posts
I just happen to own a 04 monte with 3.4 and uses 705K6 70.472 belt it is to LONG not to short like stated by other. Just tried it on my XL.

Well the MC got a new belt while I was at it and the envoy XL got a new 695K6 to bypass the a/c and idler. Working good.

Last few post is about XL EXT not the regular ones. So not to get confused.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
I'm using the 705k6 belt to bypass the AC and the idler wheel. It seems to be working well. Good till I can get the AC fixed.
Thank You Thank You Thank You
I have the short wheel base 6 cylinder 2002 trailblazer.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
8 Posts
'Bout to install a bypass belt...

Works okay, it is a touch on the long side, but the tensioner had just enough travel to take it in. I don't think there is enough belt tension, but it works for short term.
Has anyone tried the 695K6 on the non-XL's? May help with extra tension on the Standard Length?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1 Posts
Saved me

This thread seriously saved me. My fiances kids left her TB in Dallas (took a rental home to central Arkansas) because the a/c compressor locked up and it wouldn't start. I drove out with a friend, swapped the belt (695k6, diagram one), and it got me back no problem. About 6 1/2 hours drive time. I'll definitely be searching this forum for tips from here on out.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
11 Posts
It helps, and thank you for mentioning it. Estef:yes:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1 Posts
Once again, Thank you guys as you have saved me money, yet again.

I know this is an old thread but seeing as I used it today, it is still useful and I figured I'd add what I learned today. I have the 2002 envoy xl, and seeing it has almost 300,000ks on it. Didn't feel replacing the air compressor was a good investment.

I went with the 705K6 (Napa# 25-060705) and installed it and their was absolutely no tension on the belt. Exchanged it with the 695K6 (Napa# 25-060695) and works great.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
2 Posts
I have 2003 GMC envoy sle xl and I put the smaller belt on and it works but the belt squeals like a constantly. I bought the cheap belt, vs the more expensive one. And it squeals like a banshee! Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts