Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
non_gmt360 other
35 Posts
The plug that is part of the trucks headlight plugs into the DRL module, and then the other plug on the DRL module plugs into either the Relay if you're using one, otherwise, to the input of the balast.

The idea of the DRL module is to take the approx 70% voltage and bring it up to full 12v(ish) to drive the balast.

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
2,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So right before the Ballasts, and have them connected to the factory headlight harness, thanks!!!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
173 Posts
Yeah it's real easy if you got the DRL module w/ the relay from V-leds. One end goes into the factory harness and other goes into relay. Then relay goes into ballst. Can't get it wrong.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
wait till you see it

Its one of those things that is really hard on paper but then you see it and are like oh ok thats pretty easy.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
26 Posts
WARNING ! look carefully before install !

The attached flyer clearly states that you must not use the module unless you use the relay also, and I see why. The stated output of the device is 14.5 VDC at 500ma, enough to fire a 12v relay coil but fal less than is needed to run the balasts/power supply directly, so you will pop the thing unless you use the relay. I have done my hi/lo/driving lights in HID but just hit the DRL defeat on the headlight switch during the day until I can get a good methode of making the DRL 12 all the time, maybe this capacitor mod floating around here ??? ;-)

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
24 Posts
Do you absolutely need to fix the DRL if you go to HID? I was unaware of this issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Do you absolutely need to fix the DRL if you go to HID? I was unaware of this issue.
If you don't do something about the DRL's (either disable them, TBlazed mod, some form of DRL module), they will flicker like a strobe light. It has to do with how the DRL's send power to the low beams.

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
24 Posts
Thanks! I researched It right after posting and ordered v-leds solution to pair with the set of HIDs I ordered on ebay.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
I just insatlled a set of 6000k and have yet to see any flicker with the DRLs. (No DRL killer right now) I know im driving most of the time but sat in front of them for a good 5 min with a friend in the truck revving the engine a little, sitting still, ect but I didn't notice any strobe effect. The set came with a capacitor but it got dried seconds after putting power to it :). Point is will I see flickering in the future without DRL mod? Or V-led mod

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
I just insatlled a set of 6000k and have yet to see any flicker with the DRLs. (No DRL killer right now) I know im driving most of the time but sat in front of them for a good 5 min with a friend in the truck revving the engine a little, sitting still, ect but I didn't notice any strobe effect. The set came with a capacitor but it got dried seconds after putting power to it :). Point is will I see flickering in the future without DRL mod? Or V-led mod
HIDs are designed to run at full power all the time when they are on, your DRL only supply partial power to the low beams, so you are definitely stressing the ballasts. They are trying to run the HID at full power but aren't being given full power themselves. I would think popping the ballast is only a matter of time. I went with Jetttstream's DRL modifier when I installed mine. Also hooked up the quad beam option.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
Thanks after you explaining that I finally get it. Can anyone show me hoe to do the capacitor mod. I've searched this site all day and can't seem to find out how to do it. I see it mentioned a bunch of time but never a how to or even pictures. I have figured out that the capacitor connects to the pink/white wire and then to the ground, but I really don't want to f*ck anything up. I want DRLs and ALC but don't want to blow my HIDs :) any help or a shove in the right dircetion is very apprectiated.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
705 Posts
Thanks after you explaining that I finally get it. Can anyone show me hoe to do the capacitor mod. I've searched this site all day and can't seem to find out how to do it. I see it mentioned a bunch of time but never a how to or even pictures. I have figured out that the capacitor connects to the pink/white wire and then to the ground, but I really don't want to f*ck anything up. I want DRLs and ALC but don't want to blow my HIDs :) any help or a shove in the right dircetion is very apprectiated.
You can just order what you need from v-leds.com or from jetttstream, he's a vendor on here. If you tell him you want his drl module(drl module keeps drls, modifier removes them), he'll give you instructions how to install it.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle_xl
327 Posts
Yeah I know I can buy everything I need from them or tblazed but why do I want to spend 30+ bucks on something I can accomplish spending 10 or 15 and I don't have to wait for it to ship. I don't mind supporting venders of the forum when I can but don't see the need in this case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts