Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody upgraded their exhaust system on their 5.3L Trailblazer with DOD? I can't find any aftermarket systems that say they are compatible with the 5.3L. I figured the 4.2L systems would work with mine, but I'm concerned how it would sound with the Displacement on Demand feature (running in 4cyl mode).

Any suggestions for me to look at? I'm looking for a CAT-Back system.

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
Has anybody upgraded their exhaust system on their 5.3L Trailblazer with DOD? I can't find any aftermarket systems that say they are compatible with the 5.3L. I figured the 4.2L systems would work with mine, but I'm concerned how it would sound with the Displacement on Demand feature (running in 4cyl mode).

Thanks
Is your truck EXT or regular. If regular size, you can install ANY SS cat back systems. But if you have the EXT version SW might have your size exhaust.

BTW, if your looking for little performance w/ moderate MPG get a single 3 inch cat back. But if your looking for looks and lower MPG get duals...

·
Premium Member
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
3,572 Posts

Thanks
I just got an xlerator muffler with duels in stalled.
http://forums.trailvoy.com/showthread.php?t=80544
BTW, if your looking for little performance w/ moderate MPG get a single 3 inch cat back. But if your looking for looks and lower MPG get duals...
Is this true? Why?

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! My truck is the standard length, not the EXT. I know there are a bunch of aftermarket TBSS cat-back systems. Are there any you recommend for my truck? I haven't done much homework on this because all of the websites say it is only compatible with the 6.0L. I wasn't sure why that is. I'd be looking for the single 3" pipe, not duals. I don't want anything obnoxiusly loud, just something to give it a deeper note, add a little power and look clean. I don't like the muffler location on the OEM system.

Thanks again

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
201 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
No, it is not true. You may notice a decrease of MPG's because your foot will be in it all the time because you like hearing the sound. No other reason duals will give you lower MPG's.
I love the sound now! Even better with the 18'' X 3.5" tips! Ya the MPG have dropped because of have my foot in it all the time!:D
I can really tell when the DOD kicks in. I'll try and get a DOD drive by some time.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
No, it is not true. You may notice a decrease of MPG's because your foot will be in it all the time because you like hearing the sound. No other reason duals will give you lower MPG's.
It is true. I had duals for 5 years losing torque and MPG while averaging 12.9 mpg. After installing a single exhaust about 6 months ago, Ive gain back the torque and increase MPG (15.5).

Think of the exhaust gas leaving the engine as the carbon dioxide (CO2) leaving our bodies when we breath out. The more more CO2 stays in our body (not exiting out) the more CO2 can hurt us or in another case kill us if we consume excessive CO2. Same thing with the exhaust gas. If the exhaust gas has a hard time leaving the engine flowing out of the truck, the exhaust gas can hurt or destroy the engine with many restrictions.

Restrictions on the exhaust pipes require more gas/power/energy used to get the exhaust gas out of the engine. With duals, the pipes have too many curves making the exhaust harder to leave the engine. Another example, take a STRAIGHT straw and blow on it. You notice air is coming out easily. Now take a 4 curved (straight, left, right, left) straw and try blowing on it. You notice its a lot harder to blow the air out with too many restrictions. With single exhaust its much easier to get the exhaust air out which wont lose MPG or power.

You always hear companies say they guarentee you MPG and power when installing their brand of dual exhaust which is a loud of garbage. That just a way to influence idiot customers to buy their product...giving the company more :m2:.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I don't agree at all.

People run true duals on cars/trucks because they are more efficient. Duals are not the least bit restrictive. Friends of mine have switched to duals on Fbody cars and picked up some nice power. My y-pipe into my single exhaust on my camaro is a lot more restrictive than a true dual set up would be. Regardless if it were to be dumped under the axle or ran ALL the way out the back, duals will flow much better.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
I don't agree at all.

People run true duals on cars/trucks because they are more efficient. Duals are not the least bit restrictive. Friends of mine have switched to duals on Fbody cars and picked up some nice power. My y-pipe into my single exhaust on my camaro is a lot more restrictive than a true dual set up would be. Regardless if it were to be dumped under the axle or ran ALL the way out the back, duals will flow much better.
Thats not true that regular duals generate better efficient. If that were true, I would have stick with duals which I thank god I switch to single. A true dual is a different story compare to a regular dual. Yes your friend might have generated more power since its a V8 but also generated a lost in MPG. I have Y pipe and I generate better efficient and MPG compare to a Y pipe with duals.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Thats not true that regular duals generate better efficient. If that were true, I would have stick with duals which I thank god I switch to single. A true dual is a different story compare to a regular dual. Yes your friend might have generated more power since its a V8 but also generated a lost in MPG. I have Y pipe and I generate better efficient and MPG compare to a Y pipe with duals.
What you are saying makes no sense at all. You either have single exhaust or TRUE dual exhaust. Even a single in/dual out muffler is still classified as single exhaust. My Camaro has a y-pipe to a single in/dual out muffler. I do not say I have duals because it is necked down to a SINGLE pipe after the headers. Now if I had an x or h pipe then back to two separate mufflers, either over the axle or dumped, then it would true duals.

Regardless, running a single in/dual out muffler on a TB, regardless of the motor size, will not make you get worse gas mileage. End of story. I guarantee those running the magnaflow catback (which has dual exit) on their I6 did not notice any loss of mpg, unless of course they are in it all the time to hear the sound.

FWIW, my friend did not lose ANY MPG on his Camaro.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
Regardless, running a single in/dual out muffler on a TB, regardless of the motor size, will not make you get worse gas mileage. End of story.
How would you know if you never installed a dual exhaust on your TB? Camaros and TBs are completely different. Different cars get different results. And from my expereience, I did lose some MPG since I had a dual borla exhaust.

BTW I did NOT say it will make your MPG worse I said lose and lower MPG.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ss_ls
155 Posts
I put the AeroTurbine 3030XL on mine. It has very aggressive tone and the MPG went over 17 on my last trip to the east coast. However, your mileage around town will drop because your gas pedal will will always be on the floor after the light turns green.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
However, your mileage around town will drop because your gas pedal will will always be on the floor after the light turns green.
I know, I drive moderate on highways, not too fast not too slow. I have drving twice from MD to Richmond, Va with the dual borla exhaust and the single gibson gaining from 21 to 24 mpg.

·
Premium Member
3,572 Posts
Think of the exhaust gas leaving the engine as the carbon dioxide (CO2) leaving our bodies when we breath out. The more more CO2 stays in our body (not exiting out) the more CO2 can hurt us or in another case kill us if we consume excessive CO2. Same thing with the exhaust gas. If the exhaust gas has a hard time leaving the engine flowing out of the truck, the exhaust gas can hurt or destroy the engine with many restrictions.

Restrictions on the exhaust pipes require more gas/power/energy used to get the exhaust gas out of the engine. With duals, the pipes have too many curves making the exhaust harder to leave the engine. Another example, take a STRAIGHT straw and blow on it. You notice air is coming out easily. Now take a 4 curved (straight, left, right, left) straw and try blowing on it. You notice its a lot harder to blow the air out with too many restrictions. With single exhaust its much easier to get the exhaust air out which wont lose MPG or power.
My exhaust is a 3'' in and 2-2.5'' out muffler.
The 2-2.5'' pipes flow easier than a single 3'' would.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
OK, so to the OP if you want to make it easy get an exhaust for an SS and use that. It will be setup to flow for the 6.0L but the 5.3 will be ok. I know Bill (Envoy Fan) has a stock SS exhaust on his Denali 5.3.

If you want to have a shop fab something up thats an option too, then you could pick whatever muffler you want. Id recommend something like a Flowmaster 70 series so its quieter when the DOD kicks in.

BUC, I have to disagree with you on the single/dual exhaust argument. My Magnaflow system definitely picked up a little power. Nothing to write home about, but a few. The I6 vs V8 argument makes comparing a Camaro or the V8 TBs to an I6 tricky. The way the exhaust flows and is routed is VERY different. The V8s have 2 banks of cylinders that need to meet up and merge together. The I6 has 1 bank for exhaust (the Stainless Works true duals splits it off the engine) so having it go straight back and split after the muffler isnt a dual exhaust, its a dual catback.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_denali
14 Posts
I will have to say that the true dual system will give you better mpg and power. On my 06 G35x I put true duals for cats back with Magnaflow dual 2.25 and dual 2.25 out. The car went from 25 mpg on the highway to 28.3. Has more power and sounds great. Also had a silverado with the 5.3 with the same exhaust but with 2.50 duals went from 17mpg to 19.5mpg avg. But its all in what you want because my brother has a 2010 silverado with a 3" and went from 16mpg to 18mpg avg. also. Either or they both flow better then stock.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
8 Posts
OK, so to the OP if you want to make it easy get an exhaust for an SS and use that. It will be setup to flow for the 6.0L but the 5.3 will be ok. I know Bill (Envoy Fan) has a stock SS exhaust on his Denali 5.3.

If you want to have a shop fab something up thats an option too, then you could pick whatever muffler you want. Id recommend something like a Flowmaster 70 series so its quieter when the DOD kicks in.

BUC, I have to disagree with you on the single/dual exhaust argument. My Magnaflow system definitely picked up a little power. Nothing to write home about, but a few. The I6 vs V8 argument makes comparing a Camaro or the V8 TBs to an I6 tricky. The way the exhaust flows and is routed is VERY different. The V8s have 2 banks of cylinders that need to meet up and merge together. The I6 has 1 bank for exhaust (the Stainless Works true duals splits it off the engine) so having it go straight back and split after the muffler isnt a dual exhaust, its a dual catback.
So in other words you can use an SS exhaust system on a regular tb 5.3?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts