Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
5.3 transmission vs. 4.2 transmission q's.......

Do the v8's use the same transmissions as the i6?

Questiong a 5.3 swap.....Need to know what would be needed to swap in the 5.3 afm v8.......

Would I be able to technically grab a 5.3 with mounts etc, and bolt it into the 4l60e I currently have?.....Or would I need a diff. flexplate/ or spacer?....

I have an 04 AWD(soon 2 b 4wd) Bravada with the 4.2 i6..............

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see this a month ago...

I believe the transmissions are the same, but since the I6 is longer than the V8, your frame is different than mine... The V8 mounts farther forward, so the trans is farther forward, so the trans mount crossmember is farther forward. This also means that the T-case is farther forward, so I have a longer rear drive shaft and a shorter front drive shaft than you do. Looking behind my 5.3L, I'm not sure it could be moved much farther back, because the V8 is wider than the I6... I think it would require a lot of new parts and/or cutting of the firewall, and efans if you don't already have them. The 5.3L engines are also CAN bus (at least '07+... don't know for sure about '06), and (apparently) use a seperate controller for engine and transmission, while your uses the same controller for both, and not CAN bus, so I guess I don't know how the control would work... I don't know, even if you replace the controller, if you will be able to hook it to your trans or not... It would definately be easier to swap a whole 5.3L drivetrain over (remember, the 5.3L SWBs also got the 8.6 rear end, instead of the 8.0 from the I6 models), than just the engine, but then again, it would probably be easier to take the customized stuff off of your current ride and move them to a 5.3L SWB than it would be to swap in a 5.3L...

In short... This is not like swapping a 305/307 for a 350 in a RWD A-body...

Mike

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,708 Posts
:iagree:
Not cost effective. Just sell/trade yours for a v-8. You will spend a lot of $$ and will not be better off. :(

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lol who said anthing abouyt cost effective?....you're talking to a guy with the worlds only 4wd bravada with vette tranny and escallade tcase.... the 5.3 can be had cheaply...there's more parts 4 them and....welll eff it v8 4wd bravada ftw...thanx tho

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
they both use the same 4L60E the transmission on the SS is the 4L70E

just beef up the tranny you have now (which you say is a vette tranny and would be from a C5 or 2005 C6 which is still a 4L60E)

so you might as well just add hard parts (billet servos and stiffer springs and whatnot) to your current one.

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
Dude... If you are not concerned about cost effectiveness, drop in an LS2 or something good...

Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts