Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 envoy with 5.3 engine and when I first start it has a ticking noise that sound like lifters. any remedy?:thx

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
20 Posts
noise

mine do the same,i have put 20w50 synt oil and now it is gone...silence at last. You maybe have a lifter that bleed at rest.:undecided

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
625 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Remedy Plug my ears for the first 30 seconds or turn the radio up! :bonk:

We Had a customers 03 Envoy with a 5.3 that did the same thing to must be a problem

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
What happens is that any lifter that is being 'compressed' by a lobe on the camshaft will tend to 'leak' some of its oil over time. So you turn off the engine with a valve or two being pushed into the open position. Upon startup, it takes a few seconds for the lifter to fully 'prime' back up with oil and you get a faint ticking sound due to the lifter not being full height until this occurs. Provided it isn't the heavy sound of a collapsed lifter and the noise goes away after a few seconds, this shouldn't be a problem.

Most modern engines, at least GM and Ford, use roller cams and lifters, so they don't wear and cause even greater noise......if anybody is old enough to recall the heavy 'thud' the almost knocking sound of a bad lifter in days old. Heavier oils slows the leak down and covers the sound, but on a cold start with cool/cold temps, you're not going to lubricate things as well at startup. (I don't think I'd go thicker than 10w30 oils in warm weather and keep 5w30 in cooler/cold weather).

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
You're really running 20W-50 in your 5.3? Hmmm, not sure thats a great idea, Id stick with 5W-30 (well maybe even 0W-30 since you're in Canada with cold winters) or 10W-30 in the summer.

The I6 taps a bunch on cold startup too, some of it is injector noise that doesnt go away (ie still does it when hot) but the rest went away when I switched to synthetic oil. Makes a big difference, plus you dont have to change your oil nearly as often. I go at least 8k before thinking about changing it, Ive gone almost 13k on Amsoil 0W-30 and an Amsoil EaO filter. Great stuff, running M1 0W-30 in my 02 and 5W-30 in my SS (same as factory fill).

·
Basic Vendor- Skid Plates
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
3,700 Posts
I agree... DO NOT run 20w50 in an engine that is designed to run 5W30 all year round... The clearances are too tight for it to lubricate properly... It may make the lifter sound go away on startup, but you won't be lubricating properly any time... In fact, I think the manual on mine says specifically NOT to run 15 or 20w50...

Mike

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_denali
396 Posts
this sound is normal it,s like the engine getting old , i think to prevent this sound , you have to change lifters and springs as well , becuase when the engine getting old the springs will not push the lifter down quickly ,

·
Banned
2006 gmc envoy_denali
391 Posts
I HAD a lot of lifter noise at start up. Since doing TSB 4492D bulliton (valve cover replacement) I have had no noise at all. Are you burning oil and the level if low. Look at ur tailpipe to see if all black.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I talked to one of the outside sales reps from gopher engines in minnesota he said there is a bulletin from the automive engine rebuilders association about there being and o-ring on the oil pump and it causes the oil to drain back causing the lifters to not pump up completely right away.

·
Registered
2005 gmc envoy_slt_xl
16 Posts
I ran across a couple of trucks while shopping for mine that both had noisy engines when cold. I stayed away from them, but now I read that GM has been building these engines with Hypereutectic pistons. I think the noise I heard, (maybe the noise you are talking about) is piston slap. These (Hypereutectic) pistons don't expand as much as cast pistons, but like forged pistons, will slap until the engine warms up. If that is the noise you are hearing, just turn up the music, cause it isn't anything to worry about.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
109 Posts
DING DING DING! I have read that both these motors can suffer from piston slap depending on years. Also fairly common for silverado 5.3L owners as well. Modern lifters are very durable and should probably be expected to last 300K unless abused by rpm use. Its still a good idea to make sure to use a high quality oil filter with a silicone anti-drain-back valve. Its the flap of rubber or silicone you see just inside the outer holes in the filter. If its black and somewhat pastey its probably rubber, look for orange/red/blue and somewhat shiney valves.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
56 Posts
valve cover replacement..

I HAD a lot of lifter noise at start up. Since doing TSB 4492D bulliton (valve cover replacement) I have had no noise at all. Are you burning oil and the level if low. Look at ur tailpipe to see if all black.
where is this "TSB 4492D bulliton" located?

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt_xl
170 Posts
I have 2 broken bolts on the manifold - one on each side - makes it sound like a diesel LOL - just like the lifters going ...:excited:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 03 trailblazer, with 238k km on it and have a constant ticking sound. I'm new to the trailblazer DIY scene, is there any advice on how to replace the lifters and springs and how big of a job it is? I love my tb and don't mind the work, It seems this is a common problem, at least in this forum, so I'm hopin someone can steer me to a website or link that has at least a half assed " how to" I can follow. I appreciate the help guys! This site kicks ass! :yes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Might has a tap as well on cold starts. After about 45 seconds or so it goes away. I still have a year and half left on my warranty from when I bought it, maybe I'll have the lifters replaced before it's up.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts