Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Here's the skivvy : 04 Gmc Envoy 4x4, 136,xxx approx., SLT trim. 4.2L I6. (of course).

So. I was driving from work today and hit the highway. I experience acceleration and speed issues. Deceleration ensues I get off the highway. Exit highway pull off to a side road.

I hear and sort of feel a loud popping sound while pull off to side.

After getting my bearings, I notice that my A4WD was selecting (facepalm). I must've hit it while I was cleaning out the front seats before I started driving. Drive time was about 10 Mins. approx. Note: this means A4WD was selected at start up is what I'm guess (on dry flat ground).

In addition, I see light smoke and smell a weird burning smell for a short period. All has subsided except the faint smell.

I switch back to 2Hi correctly (switch into Neutral, switch, and switch back into drive) and I was able to drive normally (acceleration and speed control) for about 20 mins until loud rattle.

NOW -

I notice a pretty loud front end rattle presumably on the driver side of the vehicle.
The smell from earlier lingers (no smoke). Akin to that of take a metal pipe across a chain-link fence. Initially, it only made that noise when I turned left and now it's loudly making the noise while I drive straight. Acceleration seems to be consistent.

I'm able to shift through gears normally. There is no rattle in reverse.

Any takers? Speak as if I know nothing please.

Thanks,
Chad.

No need to shame me, I feel terrible that I somehow switched to A4WD especially since my last encounter with my front differential. . .

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
2,569 Posts
Operating in A4WD should not be bad for the drive system, because the front drive is only engaged when rear wheel slip is detected.

When was the last time the transfer case fluid was changed? It needs to be changed every 50K miles religiously. And use only GM AutoTrak II fluid.

You will need to localize the smell and noise to further diagnose this.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Operating in A4WD should not be bad for the drive system, because the front drive is only engaged when rear wheel slip is detected.

When was the last time the transfer case fluid was changed? It needs to be changed every 50K miles religiously. And use only GM AutoTrak II fluid.

You will need to localize the smell and noise to further diagnose this.
Good point. I don't change the TC (transfer case) fluids myself but I"m pretty good about staying up on them at Valvoline (now that you say it, I don't know (or think) they use GM AutoTrak II fluid. The smell def. is coming from left front end or it could possibly be near the front end considering the TC is sort of near the driver's door. I know I definitely smell it when i stick my head near the front left (driver's side) tire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts