Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is the wiredest thing when i have my tb in 4x4 or a4wd it will kick in and out of 4x4 when it wants to or just doesnt work at all... i have the incline 6 with 3.73 rears and its an 03 with 126,000 miles on it, so if you can please help me!!! ive thought about changing the front diff. actuator and or the 4wd switch in the dash... so any help will be appreciated! thanks trailvoy

:hissy:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Well, what do the indicator lights on the switch tell you? If you're in 4HI, does the light stay there and say 4HI? How about A4WD?

How do you know it's jumping in and out? Are you on pavement or gravel/dirt when you're doing this test?

Did you change the transfer case fluid at 50K intervals like the manual advises?

Do youhear the front axle actuator engage when you change modes from 2HI->A4WD and vice versa? What made you suspect the actuator?

Does the Service 4WD light ever come on?

·
Registered
2007 gmc envoy_sle
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
re:

the service 4wd sys light had come on once for like 5 start/stop cycles of the key and then went away and then the response from the 4wd sys came back but while the light was on there was no response from the switch in the tb no indicator lights or anything and then just b4 the snow quit we had one big storm where i had to use the 4wd again and it was poping and at one point made a grinding noise and would not kick in 4wd... ive changed everything as i was supposed to... the only thing that led me to the front 4wd actuator is sometimes just when i cycle threw the selections to keep sure that its working while in my grass yard it will take it about 15 seconds sometimes to go from a4wd to 2hi... and i know that cant be right.... and the weird thing is if you turn the wheel it will sometimes kick in 4wd when selected or sometimes it will just act like its in 2wd.... so any info that you guys can help me with will be greatly appreciated!!!:)

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,282 Posts
The switch is flaky. My 2002 does this often, more so when its cold and the switch gets harder to turn.

I was driving up north last week and had an extra large mcdonalds cup in the front cupholder, which just pushed on the switch. I didnt realize it caused any drama but was driving and noticed my "service 4wd" telltale illuminated on the dash. I looked right down at the switch and "4HI and 4LO" were both lit up, even though the switch was pointed at 2HI.

I moved the cup and wiggled the switch and the "service 4wd" telltale went off, and the switch went back to 2HI.

Every fall/winter/spring here, at least 3-4x Ill be driving on the highway in 2HI and all of a sudden feel a power loss and some drivetrain binding. look down and even though my switch is pointed at 2HI, the light will be on for "4HI". If I cycle the switch through, it will go back to 2HI on its own.

Definately a switch problem though :bonk:

·
Registered
4 Posts
this is the wiredest thing when i have my tb in 4x4 or a4wd it will kick in and out of 4x4 when it wants to or just doesnt work at all... i have the incline 6 with 3.73 rears and its an 03 with 126,000 miles on it, so if you can please help me!!! ive thought about changing the front diff. actuator and or the 4wd switch in the dash... so any help will be appreciated! thanks trailvoy

:hissy:
did you ever fix this issue. i am having the same problem

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.