Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so I was out driving (going to a Christmas thing) and the roads were not that great and had it in 4WD HI. Pulled into mcdonalds to get a drink (parking lot nice and clean) and when I was backing out of my parking spot just at idle and it came to a stop by it self.

Pressed on the gas alittle and nothing, did not want to move. Put it in drive and pressed the gas again and you know when you are trying to drive a car when the parking brake on, it was like that.

Put the switch to Auto and then you know the noise the auto tranny in a car when you are parked on a hill and you move the shifter from park? Well it made a sound like that just as the light on the switch moved over.

I have put on over 200km's and it's been fine so far.

I plan on booking it in to get the dealer to have a look at it but just want to see if anyone else has had this problem.

Thanks!

oh and when I was parked there a 17-20 year old pulled up in a Black SS...nice looking truck!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Sounds exactly like classic driveline stress build-up if you were turning at any time in the parking process. Could damage things if you drove around on dry pavement more, but that one incident isn't going to do lasting damage. Don't waste any money/time at the dealer.

And try to remember to switch to A4WD or 2HI before touching clear pavement in the future, that's all.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wheels were turned only just abit. I was parked with the curb on the pass side and the Black SS pulled in beside me.

Thanks for the tip, I think I will just leave it in auto from now on then when on the pavement even when its like the way it was.

Its under warranty so its no costs to me, I have a few other things I need the dealer to take care of anyway. Thanks Again!

·
Registered
2006 gmc envoy_sle_xl
134 Posts
Just remember one simple rule:

If you can see bare pavement, DO NOT KEEP IT IN 4X4! Use A4WD if you think you need it.

Same for ANY hard surface. Think of it this way, if it is not a surface that a tire will easily spin on, then you don't want it in 4X4.

Glad nothing broke! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone!

I just read the link to the other topic. Great Info!

I have been keeping it on A4WD but this time I was out before they cleaned the roads, so I switched over 4HI. I guess the drive across the clear parking lot must of been the issue.

In the Summer/Fall I kept it in 2WD.

Thanks Again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Uh-oh?

So lemme ask this y'all. My TB is the first 4X4 I've ever owned. I was told that I should put the vehicle in 4WD mode once a month and take it around that block. (Paved Roads) Is that really bad???
I only ask this because I bought this vehicle used about 2 months ago and when I put it into and out of 4WD I can hear a mechanical sound and then a very subtle "ping". Is that normal?
I guess what I'm asking in general is if there is a better FAQ about 4WD on this platform along with a "Do's and Don't's" that goes into more detail than the owners manual?
I'm not worried because I have a warranty, but I don't want to screw it up.
Thanks,
Dave:coffee

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
There isn't a one-stop-shopping FAQ, but lots of discussions in threads here. But that would take a lot of reading. Sorry.

It won't break to take it around the block once in 4HI on pavement, but why take the risk? Just find dirt or gravel road or parking lot and do the same thing safely. I recommend once a month to exercise the system, make sure the switch and actuators work, and that the system will be there when you really need it and the traction is challenging. Just like exercising your spare tire winch 2-3 times a year to make sure it's lubricated and not corroded.

The ping is normal, especially going into or out of 4LO. There are also two motor sounds - one very high pitched from the front axle actuator, that only makes a noise when going from 2HI to (or through) A4WD or vice versa. The other is lower pitched, from the transfer case encoder motor, and it makes a noise on every mode transition. You can do this with the ignition on but the motor OFF, in neutral. Everybody should try this to get familiar with the noises your vehicle makes when it's working properly, so you can report back what's wrong if and when it fails later.

So go outside right now and listen to your vehicles! Get going!! :D

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
So go outside right now and listen to your vehicles! Get going!! :D
You MUST be in a warm place.:D I would add that if you can't find any soft area to drive in, put in 4WD and just drive a block or so in a straight line. Stop do the same in 4LO. I don't think you have to actually make any turns. I've heard even a trip up and down the driveway will suffice.:m2:

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Any one know what is top driving speed in A4WD? 4WDHI? 4WDLO? Until I came across this thread, I always assumed to throw it into 4WDHI on the freeway around this time of year in Minnesota for extra peace of mind. Although in 4WDHI, I never exceeded 50 MPH, I hope I haven't done any damage.:no:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You MUST be in a warm place.:D

79° F

:raspberry

Any one know what is top driving speed in A4WD? 4WDHI? 4WDLO? Until I came across this thread, I always assumed to throw it into 4WDHI on the freeway around this time of year in Minnesota for extra peace of mind. Although in 4WDHI, I never exceeded 50 MPH, I hope I haven't done any damage.:no:
No limit except road conditions in A4WD or 4HI. The spinning parts of the drivetrain are mostly spinning in 2WD the same way they are in 4WD.

In 4LO, you have a 2.7 to 1 reduction gear ratio, so 100 MPH equivalent for the engine is about 40 MPH. You would be seriously concerned for the engine RPM before you get going that fast.

·
Registered
chevy
357 Posts
Biting my nails there for a moment. So not a good idea to have it in 4WDHi on flat surface roads. A4WD would be OK? By the way Roadie, we broke the freezing temperature two days ago:woot:. All last week, we averaged -15 below.:hissy:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
So not a good idea to have it in 4WDHi on flat surface roads. A4WD would be OK?
No, and yes.

I lived 40 years in Massachusetts including the blizzard of '78. (Our daughter was born 9 months later...) I've paid a few dues when it comes to snow and ice. :bonk:

·
Registered
4 Posts
All Conditions Normal.

Thanks Roadie,

I took the truck to the overflow lot by the amphitheater. Water doesn't dissipate well there. I didn't go "mudding" as much as you could say it was just a familiarization run with the 4WD system in the truck. No donuts and stuff like that. Nor did I attempt to take it into a deep puddle just to see if I could get out. But I did figure out that I will probably only use the 4WD in snow in rural areas. When those wheels grab traction and you don't expect it....heh. No wonder I used to see so many 4WD vehicles in the ditch up in New England.
Anyway, thanks for the info.

Dave:thumbsup:
:thx

1 - 15 of 15 Posts