Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think of this every winter.

As I was driving into work today during our lovely weather here in Chicago, I took notice of 4 vehicles either on the side of the road facing the wrong direction, spun out in the ditch, or involved in some type of accedent. What these vehicles all had in common was either 4x4 or AWD. Also on the radio was the traffc report, reporting several accedents. Most of them were reported as SUVs.

As I tooled down the road, I noticed a Lexus 470 tear a**ing down the snow covered road at 65-70 mph. Then came the Volvo station wagon thing, weaving in and out car apparently going to slow for the snow covered streets. As I observed the Volvo about 6-7 cars ahead I saw he/she start to loose control. The lost control and into another car and into the blocked off construction area to the side of the road.

Since I left in plenty of time to get to work, I decided to stop and see if anyone was hurt. Thankfuly everone was ok, only property damage. The driver of the volvo (vehicle #1) stated with amazment "I just don't know what happened, I had it in four wheel drive" A few things came to mind, but I was cold and all parties involved were ok so I left.

Since many states require a motorcycle safty course for a motorcycle endorsment, I think if you want to drive a 4x4 or AWD vehicle in states that get a fair amount of snow yearly there should be a similar requierment.

Just because a vehicle has 4x4 or AWD does not mean the driver can operate it in snow or ice the same as if road conditions are good. I am sure many of you who go off roading knows all too well the limitations on 4x4 or AWD.

4x4/AWD will NOT!

*enable the vehicle to stop any faster on ice/snow/wet pavment/mud.

*enable better control moving at faster speeds. (I.E. if you are doing 50-60 on a snow covered roadway and go to change lanes quickly you will lose traction the same and 2WD.)

It WILL!

*Help you turn at intersections without spining.

*Help get up a hill or incline.

*Get over the nice mountin of snow at the end of your driveway left by the plow/out of a parking spot after you are snowed in at the airport.

Im sure the both lists could go on and on.

Think ahead and drive within your ability. Be safe:)

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
6,568 Posts
i say the same thing every year.. they think 4 wheel drive improves traction... which it does not... all it does is help move ur vehicle.. and alot of the people out there do not understand that.. i think when u go to buy a 4 wheel drive vehicle u should have to take a 4 wheel drive test, which includes written and on the road... in order for a special letter on ur drivers license..

simplest thing for people... 4 wheel drive does not improve ur traction... it just improves the ability to move ur vehicle... this is what i tell them... all 4wheel drive does is move ur vehicle.. now imagine u have a 2000lb vehicle with only 2 wheels powering it.. each wheel is trying to move 1000lbs... now in a 4wheel drive the same vehicle, each wheel is only trying to move 500lbs of weight each... same thing as moving anything heavy.. which is easier.. 2 people pushing from the back or 2 pushing from the back with 2 people pulling from the front...

"Are you with us Yay or Nay!!!"
"Which one means yes?"
"Yay"
"YYYYYYYYYYYYAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!"

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_slt
51 Posts
I Have One

There was a woman in a Range Rover today stuck. She had all four tires going. I watched her for about 30 secs. I could see she had it in 4 Lo. She was going no where. I told her to put it into AWD. The truck began to rise. After backing up a couple of times it pulled right out. She said to me, "Wow! Thank you so much" I explained 4 wheel drive modes to her and what she would use each one for. I hope she got it.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
695 Posts
There was a woman in a Range Rover today stuck. She had all four tires going. I watched her for about 30 secs. I could see she had it in 4 Lo. She was going no where. I told her to put it into AWD. The truck began to rise. After backing up a couple of times it pulled right out. She said to me, "Wow! Thank you so much" I explained 4 wheel drive modes to her and what she would use each one for. I hope she got it.
Can you explain this to me? I'm not sure how A4WD would be better than 4Hi or 4Lo. In my experience the delay in A4WD locking up is generally not as effective as the other 2 modes.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
could be wrong so dont yell at me lol

I just bought a 05 black trailblazer but I was always told that the all wheel drive is for light snow and ice and the 4 wheel drive is for when there is so much snow that is actually like driving off road.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
375 Posts
I just bought a 05 black trailblazer but I was always told that the all wheel drive is for light snow and ice and the 4 wheel drive is for when there is so much snow that is actually like driving off road.
Kinda- The AAWD is for conditions when the road can be slippery in spots and not in others. It will slip in and out of AAWD automatically. Sometimes when cruising down the road on snow/slush and your being easy on the gas peddle, you may not even notice you are spinning, but the AAWD will engage and then you may never know you slipped at all. Where 4x4 is for completely covered roads. You dont really want to run 4x4 on dry/high traction pavement. It is hard on drivetrain parts.

·
Registered
375 Posts
4x4/AWD will NOT!

QUOTE]

I completely disagree. For a test, go to a wide open parking lot covered with snow. Pick a speed and a point at which you are gonna hit your brakes. Do this in two wheel drive first, and then in 4 wheel. You will stop shorter in 4 wheel faster. Then try one more time in 4 wheel and put the tranny in neutral before braking. Faster yet!

·
Banned
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
4x4/AWD will NOT!

QUOTE]

I completely disagree. For a test, go to a wide open parking lot covered with snow. Pick a speed and a point at which you are gonna hit your brakes. Do this in two wheel drive first, and then in 4 wheel. You will stop shorter in 4 wheel faster. Then try one more time in 4 wheel and put the tranny in neutral before braking. Faster yet!
:undecidedI will try it on the way home tonight in the Sams Club parking lot. I know when I went through accident investigation school at NW university we did skid test after skid test to test for verriables. (none in snow since it was spring when I went.) i do know 4 hi does put more drag on the wheels and should stop you sooner if left to cost. Im not sure this will improve stopping distance to and noticeable leghth. Ill see and report back tonight. And shifting into N when trying to regain control of a vehicle:rolleyes::nono: not for the typical driver.

·
Registered
375 Posts
:undecidedI will try it on the way home tonight in the Sams Club parking lot. I know when I went through accident investigation school at NW university we did skid test after skid test to test for verriables. (none in snow since it was spring when I went.) i do know 4 hi does put more drag on the wheels and should stop you sooner if left to cost. Im not sure this will improve stopping distance to and noticeable leghth. Ill see and report back tonight. And shifting into N when trying to regain control of a vehicle:rolleyes::nono: not for the typical driver.
Well, you cant power out of a slide with it in neutral. But, many times I have bumped it into neutral when in 4x4 and sliding down the hill towards the redlight. It takes any brake bias you have at all and eliminates it. Since you are locked into 4x4, it makes the entire drive train brake evenly! Another thing to try when you get to the parking lot is this, once you are already sliding forward in 4x4, bump it into neutral and feel your vehicle start slowing faster/gaining a little more traction.

Now, keep in mind that I am not saying any of these things are a night and day difference and gonna make any idiot a good driver. I just feel that a 4x4 has better breaking capability in the snow than a 4x2:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2009 chevy
6,431 Posts
.I just feel that a 4x4 has better breaking capability in the snow than a 4x2:thumbsup:
IMO, the only difference 4 wheel drive would make, would assist in stability. Braking requires the same stability as accelerating, and we all know that 4 HI will assist acceleration stability.
That additional stability may allow the vehicle to stop faster.
And, like FedAirMarsha, I don't recommend being in neutral while braking.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
38 Posts
I was out today and wouldn't ya know it... SNOWING!! Went to take off from a light and the rear broke loose (2HI) and swung towards a wrecker. Went to switch into A4WD... and nothing. Got 'er rolling enuf to switch into Neutral, then rolled switch back to 2HI then into A4WD, shift into Drive and off I go!:woot:

IMHO, if there's no skill behind the wheel, the best drivetrain in the world or even the stickiest snowshoes won't amount to a hill o' beans. I do realize that ****, no matter how unwanted, does happen. Just make sure there's a clean pair of undies in the glove box ....... guess I'm just trying to say is to be prepared.:m2:

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I wish it was snowing here....it's just cold as hell.....

i completely agree....i still leave my truck in 2wd most of the time.....

4x4 is good for turning.....and things like that......when you don't want to lose you tail cuz the front wants to stay put.....

people need to understand the limitation of AWD/4WD when they get one......

1 - 14 of 14 Posts