Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning all,
I have a 2007 4X4 Trailblazer with 97,000 miles. Recently I have noticed a clunk or possible slip when in 4x4 HI or A4x4 only when going up a long steep hill. I can hear the actuator in the transfer case switch when I move the dial for all 4x4 positions. Once and a while I will also get the service 4x4 light but as soon as I turn the key off it clears. I have changed the T case fluid and front diff fluid. I know the 4x4 is engaging because I tired the same hill in 2wd and had to pull over to switch to 4x4 to make it up. I have read in other threads about the front axle disconnect. Does this seem like it would be the problem? I don't want to throw a lot of money at this thing unless I know it will fix the problem.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same noise in the same 4*4 modes but only when making a turn . 312,000 miles / 2002 LTZ
These are some of the best SUV'S on the planet .

·
Registered
2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer LS 4.2L l4
8 Posts
I have an ‘06 with 228,xxx miles, had a service 4wd light come on, and the light would blink for a few seconds before finally switching to 4HI/A4WD, so I had my shop check transfer case fluid when we had it in the air for an oil change. T case was almost empty, added almost 2 full quarts (2 qt capacity), and when we pulled it out we ran it through all the gears to see if it fixed the issues, and the t case got stuck in neutral. Our tech supervisor told me the encoder motors like to go bad, so i pulled one from the scrap yard, switched that with what i’m assuming was my OE motor, and haven’t had any issues since.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Why Why Why do people drive in 4WD on pavement or complain about it malfunctioning when they turn?

Unless you are on ice/snow/mus/zombie bodies/--- drive in 2WD HI unless you really need to go 4WD.

As far as I have learned , A4WD is nasty to the transfer case viscous clutch assy and it is very expensive to repair.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts