Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Just purchased a 2004 GMC Envoy with 106k miles on it very recently and I sort of already have experience with this car since my dad owns an '02 Trailblazer EXT.

In his car, which I found out through the manual, you can engage A4WD or 4HI at any speed in any gear. I've known this for a while, tried it, and it worked.

In my new Envoy, the A4WD or 4HI will not engage unless the transmission is dropped in neutral. No motors click, nothing works at all. When in neutral, I hear the same sounds in my dad's TB and everything shifts and seems to work. Problem is I haven't tested driving in 4HI yet.

For me, it seems like it's stuck into shifting into 4LO and skips auto and 4HI. I still need to test this out tomorrow and see if it actually engages 4LO instead of 4HI. I read somewhere that someone had this issue or a similar issue.

TCase fluid was probably never changed (ouch) since it's a city car and I bet the previous owner didn't know what that even is.

I will try to change the fluid but I have a feeling it won't help.

Any thoughts? Hope it's not a big problem.

Ty in advance.

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
I don't think you are engaging into 4LO, that would be a TCCM problem. But if the TC fluid has never been changed, that could be a real issue. Get in there and check the level and color of the fluid. Maybe it's not too late. Best advice when buying a used GMT360, change the fluids.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think you are engaging into 4LO, that would be a TCCM problem. But if the TC fluid has never been changed, that could be a real issue. Get in there and check the level and color of the fluid. Maybe it's not too late. Best advice when buying a used GMT360, change the fluids.
I know, I hope it isn't. I will have the fluid changed on Monday. But any idea as to why I would need to put it into neutral when I shouldn't have to do that? I mean when it shifts it seemed to be fine and work (haven't drove in it though) but that's so odd. Something's wrong and no clue what

Cheers

·
Banned
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
1,239 Posts
If the TC fluid is old and deteriorated, the clutches may be sticking or the mechanism is not traveling freely. That is why I said to check it and change it. If the condition does not improve after fluid change, there may be other issues with the TC.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the TC fluid is old and deteriorated, the clutches may be sticking or the mechanism is not traveling freely. That is why I said to check it and change it. If the condition does not improve after fluid change, there may be other issues with the TC.
Well I tried to shift into A4WD today and it went perfectly (kind of a risk probably and I wanted to avoid it till fluid change) I was in park the whole time. I heard the motors engage and then I engaged 4HI and everything went well with no issues. TCase fluid has to be sh*t, I'll go to my mechanic tomorrow since I'm currently in NYC with the car and let him change it for me

Cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts