Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just took my car to get it's oil changed. I live in Seattle, lots of hills and it's snowy today, so I put it in 4WD for the first time in months, even close to a year maybe. I found myself attempting to back up in the parking lot (before the oil change), and the car was very hesitant to go anywhere. It was very clunky changing from R to N to D as well. It was kind of jumpy, I would gas it and it would catch up with itself a few seconds later and accelerate too fast. The mechanic is checking it out, but I'm worried... we're driving over the pass tomorrow and I'd really like to have my car! Any input??

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
If you're in 4WD mode on dry pavement, you shouldn't be. Especially if you have the steering wheel cranked for a turn. It's called driveline binding or crow-hopping. Can break parts.

If you're on snow or ice in a parking lot, that's the place to test 4WD.

That said, you may have transfer case problems, especially if you haven't been changing the fluid every 50K miles or checking the level regularly. What's your mileage and maintenance history, especially on the transfer case fluid?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it was very, very snowy, very slick. It was not on dry pavement by any stretch. My car has only 46,000 miles on it. Oil changed probably too often, it's not driven often.

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
No, it was very, very snowy, very slick. It was not on dry pavement by any stretch. My car has only 46,000 miles on it. Oil changed probably too often, it's not driven often.
Were you going straight back? Or did you have the wheels turned?

Even on slippery surfaces, if you have the wheel turned a lot it can cause binding or crow-hopping, as Roadie said.

Also, the fluid Roadie was talking about is the transfer case fluid not the engine oil.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts