Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Doing my best to keep my 2006 4.6L V6 2006 Trailblazer alive, she's got 232.5k on her. Most recently I've found that there seems to be a metal on metal sounding scraping/grinding noise when I'm in 4WD. It does not happen in 2WD, and in 4WD only seems to occur when the wheel straightens out from a turn.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot, what to look for, or any further information I can provide to help get to the bottom of this repair?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check front diff fluid. Glitter is bad

Turns out it's the front differential. Was dry and had some glitter. Damn...

Looking at procedures and kits to repair now, seems like a do-able at home repair with the right tools.

Casing should be good, just the innards that would need replacing, right?

-DC

·
Registered
25 Posts
Check front diff fluid. Glitter is bad

Turns out it's the front differential. Was dry and had some glitter. Damn...

Looking at procedures and kits to repair now, seems like a do-able at home repair with the right tools.

Casing should be good, just the innards that would need replacing, right?

-DC
I would hit a salvage or buy refurbished differential. You will most likely have to completely remove it either way. And enless you have proper tools and experience with differentials you may cause more damage.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
14 Posts
When was the last time your transfer case fluid was changed? I remember when I had problems with my 4x4, as soon as I changed the fluid, everything worked beautifully.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When was the last time your transfer case fluid was changed? I remember when I had problems with my 4x4, as soon as I changed the fluid, everything worked beautifully.
I got it looked at by some with more knowledge than me, it was differential fluid that was the culprit. Nothing broken they said, but probably need to get it looked at. Going to try and do the work myself soon, until then I have a 2WD vehicle...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts