Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
scan0001.jpg First of all, I want to apologize for the rough sketch I've drawn up but I thought it may help understand what I am talking about or so I hope? I recently replaced the 4wd disconnect housing on the front passenger side ( :x what a nightmare) and my problems were all solved... or so i thought? The main problem was solved, but now I have oil leaking out of the opening in the oil pan that the housing is pressed into. The housing is bolted up tight. Also, the housing unit lip that slides inside the oilpan is a good 1 1/4 " deep, which makes it hard to believe oil would leak out of the opening between the housing and oil pan, but it is somehow? I am not for going to the dealer and having them install a new oil pan. I just cant allow myself to surrender to that, so I am asking for any suggestions on how to stop this oil leak, from anyone who may have one?

I'd greatly appreciate it!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
353 Posts
Is there damage to the recess in the oil pan the disconnect fits into? When I did mine, this was a closed hole, and no way it could leak.
Sometimes on removal the boss that fits into the oil pan breaks in the oil pan, and has to be removed by drilling, chiseling, etc. May be (if this happened) the oil pan was damaged. Worst case: look for cracks (or holes) around the recess the disconnect fits into.
I suggest making REAL sure the leak isn't coming from above the disconnect and dripping down.
If it is in fact the oil pan, and the leak is behind the boss on the disconnect, I would try silicone sealers before I pulled the oil pan.
And yes, you'll have to remove the disconnect again.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man... removing the disconnect housing again is something I don't want to even think about. The original one I had to drill and chisel out and yes there is a little chisel damage to the left/lower-left part of the opening but no cracks that I could notice. The outer edge of the opening in the oilpan has areas that have been chiseled to a slight bevel instead of a 90* opening.

But I will try the advice you gave and try to seal it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts