Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried to swap the 4wd axle disconnect with a SS model disconnect with no actuator? Keep breaking shift forks in the disconnect so have to keep buying new axle disconnects....any advice

Thanks

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
758 Posts
There's two styles of "axle disconnect" for the GMT360/370 vehicles.

The "4WD" version that actually disconnects the front axle in 2WD mode; and
The "AWD" version that is permanently engaged, forever and ever, Amen. The AWD version is a lower-fuel-economy, greater-wear "cost-cutting" move by GM.

If you're breaking shift-forks, I'd be looking into "why", not replacing the actuator with an AWD unit. Seems like something in the front axle/differential is binding.

The AWD "actuator" should physically fit, and provide A4WD, 4WD, and 4-Low with no option for "real" 2WD. Whether this would cause "codes", I can't tell you.

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
786 Posts
The problem is the 3" lift in the front. That's too high. I'm assuming here that that is all suspension lift. Your CV axles are at too great an angle. When the suspension unloads the axles drop too far out of the inner housing, and then when the load is suddenly placed on the suspension again the inner axle is shoved back into the housing, and if it's not properly aligned it will bind. That's why the shift forks are breaking.
If you really need to have 3" of lift up front, only lift the suspension 2" and use a body lift to get the other 1". Your axles will be much happier! And install limit straps on the front suspension. A limit strap is a piece of heavy duty webbing, much like a tow strap is made of, and installed so that the axles will not drop down too far, potentially binding and breaking the shift disconnect fork.
There are a number of good videos on YouTube about limit straps and how they are installed.
Sorry to have to say it, but I really think the underlying issue is the way your truck is set up.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went n double checked things, it's not a 3" front. It's only a 2" with 33s. Cv axles aren't at hard angles. I bought the SS model axle disconnect, that comes without the actuator. How do I get the disconnect to engage once installed, jus splice together the actuator wires? I know it's gonna lock my front end but is it as easy as my brain is telling me?

· Registered
758 Posts
The "disconnect" cannot be disconnected. You don't have to do anything to the wires, that I know of. I'd tape 'em up so they don't get road-splash and corrode.

I think this is a bad move...but it's not my vehicle. Something is wrong that hasn't been fixed yet.

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lmao it's jus a shitbox. Gotta make mistakes to build something better down the road. So with my LS model disconnect, it has the actuator on it. The SS model doesn't, so how do I engage the disconnect once it's in.

· Registered
758 Posts
Apparently I need to type slower.

It

cannot

be

DISCONNECTED.

it

is

PERMANENTLY

ENGAGED.

There

is

no

on-

off

switch

for

it.

Shove

it

in,

tape

up

the

harness.

Drive

away.

Reactions: My_bro

· Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
2 Posts
So did you go with the AWD fixed disconnect? Were you able to leave the old disconnect electric module unplugged and wrap up the wires? Or did it cause error codes? Didn’t know if I could leave the elec cable unplugged if I need to leave the cable plugged in and strap module to the frame somewhere?

· Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
🤣🤣🤣crappy. Like 12 on a great day. Under 10 if I'm using 4wd. Need to do injectors and maybe fuel filter but ain't gonna get much back. New plugs and coil packs within 2 years

1 - 13 of 13 Posts