Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so heres the gist of it.......My tranny is broken......
I need a better tranny plain and simple,,,,,
I am contemplating swapping in favor of a 4l80e.....

Curious as to what I will need for a 2002 Bravada.....

Last time I played with a 4l80e, iirc it had the same harness connector as what I have now..... Idk.....We did a 4l80e swap a rat rod, and used iirc a speartech adapter.....

Curious if my electronics will support a 4l80e.......I also suppose a custom d-shaft is in order.....IIrc the 4l80e is longer than the 60e....Or is that vice versa, I forget,,,,,, ....:duh:

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
The physical swap would be a piece of cake man, new trans x-member, new driveshafts, and adjust the dipstick.

The wiring swap is going to be impossible, if our trucks had ever come with a manual trans it wouldnt be hard, just flash a manual calibration in and run the 80e vacuum modulated. But since it cant, you're going to have trouble codes up the kazoo with this. My guess is you're going to have to run the 80e vacuum modulated regardless then try and feed the PCM the appropriate VSS signals for speedo readout. You'll probably lose cruise control too. If you want to try it Ill be happy to help get you any info you need, but Im thinking its going to be hard.

We need a GM powertrain engineer who loves our trucks to get the GM cal files and make us a manual cal and then a 2bar. That would be awesome.:woot:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
219 Posts
I'd be very interested in seeing how it works out because if you can pull it off then i'll be one step closer to a 6l80e...:yes:

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
Most practical way to get a beefier tranny at this time is to buy one of the 'built' 4l60e models, like a Raptor or one of its competitors. They start with a 4l60e (or 700R4 for older vehicles), so electrically they should be plug and play. They're rated to 500hp and have heavy duty sun shells, aluminum actuators, etc. If or when mine blows up, that will most likely be my solution to problem. Depending upon the source, they run from around $1000 to $1600.

·
Registered
2004 buick rainier
20 Posts
Just buy a built 4l60 or 65 and be done with it. Eff all that messing around with wiring. There's plenty of companies out there that build strong 4l60's

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.