Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle_xl
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my '04 XL has 208+++ on the clock and I am planning to rebuild the tranny myself. Never tore into an automatic before but I am pretty good with tools, and have always wanted to try it. Questions are; anyone else done this, what shift correction kit is better, trango... superior... sonnax, and any other advice you may have.

Planning on getting almost all the parts from here;

There is an entire video series on YouTube that is very informative and shows step by step how to do it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just make sure you keep track of every single little bearing and bolts, when you finally get one of those transmissions dismantled you are left with about 5000 individual parts lol.

But yes it can be done fairly easily. It’s not like rebuilding an engine, where you need 30,000 dollars in tools to do it correctly. Just take your time, don’t rush it, and document things if you need to. Maybe even film yourself taking it apart in case you need to watch it for reference when putting it back together

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
137 Posts
If you study the part numbers, you'll find that there's heaps and piles of trans parts sold under different brand names, all made by the same company.

I like Transgo "shift kits"; you can buy the exact same thing from other vendors with similar part numbers.

I've never had an overdrive automatic apart, done several TH400s, a 'glide, a 727, etc. I would not want an overdrive automatic to be my first overhaul.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts