Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

41 - 60 of 398 Posts

·
Southeast Chapter
2004 buick rainier
5,864 Posts
Well,

The turbo install is complete - took the truck for a very short and easy shake down cruise tonight. Its all working as it should - wastegate is opening at 8 psi which is fine for the stock engine.

Now the tuning starts, I'll post a video once I get everything sorted out.

M.
:hail: good luck with the tune can't wait to see the vid

·
Registered
8 Posts
a quick recap....your not using gm electronics... how are you tackling the tuning exactly? megasquirt i assume...

do you plan to eventually try the gm pcm?

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
engine electronics

Correct I'm using megasquirt and EDIS wasted spark ignition. When the megasquirt sequencer comes out ( does sequential injection, and coil on plug ignition) I'll switch over. Also I'll make an adapter board to allow reuse of the GM harness.

So no I'm not planning on using the GM electronics. I did supply another trailvoy member (Scott) with the contact info of someone who might be able to help get the P10 working with boost but have not seen/heard from him since.

If there was enough demand (commited pre-orders) I could generate an interceptor that would allow megasquirt to fuel the motor only during boost operation. This would leave the P10 in place for all other tasks. The only question I have on this is what the P10 does to the drive by wire throtle control when it goes into boost? Anyone know?

·
Registered
8 Posts
well im well versed in older gm ecms. i have no tuning expiernce with the p10. but if its anything like i think it is, thats a loaded question!

im sure the drive by wire is tied in everywhere in that engine. with the torque management, the throttle is barely under the drivers control. not to mention the throttle plate is now used for the iac.
so what would happen when it sees boost? well i assume the map voltage isnt going to line up with what the ecm wants. thats easy to trick it, but that doesnt mean its going to work right. i also assume that the pcm adjusts the throttle plate to get the desired map voltage, or maybe the other way around. either way i belive they depend on eachother. and to add, when the map comes up with whatever it does, it looks to the table, and gives the pulse width for the injectors. somewhere in there it should be calculating the load based off the throttle position, rpm and map reading.
my ideal solution, get rid of the throttle by wire, and go to a mechanical setup. now we need someone who actually knows the programing of the pcm. eliminating that, and adding more to the kpa vs fuel vs spark, we could possibly come up with what we need to turbo this engine. and a higher rpm wouldnt hut.
now what the hell do we do about the variable exhaust? does that change how the turbo will run? is it even a smart idea to keep it with a turbo application? it would be incredible for a supercharger!

beyond all that, what about that intake manifold, YUCK. good oem design, but not so for high rpm performance! im thinking a dual plenum with tuned length based on rpm and cam timing would sufice.

so my take on what to do about the p10.....forget it, unless some one with some more knowledge and expierence comes along. (or i dig into it and see what i can do with some help)

maybe using an older ecm and changing some things around it could work. if the crank angles are like a V6, then maybe one of the older 60 or 90 degree v6 ecms could work, just move the plugs around to get the right firing order, everything else should work out as planned. injection is batch fire, moving the injectors to the right spot shouldnt be hard at all. plenty of boost applications available for starting a tune. that pesky vvt exhaust cam could be locked in place. oh and forget the guages, and the trans control, and the bcm......ok bad idea for a trailblazer, but a decent idea for a swap.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So why is it so much easier on the imports???? I have a brother that turbocharged 3 of his Nissan SE-R's - he said something about a standalone fuel management system or a piggy-back system....(?)

Just trying to throw out ideas....

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Interceptor aka piggyback

Unless someone dives into the P10 (not an easy task - even with the resources at work it would be tough nut to crack, you would need to duplicate what the tuner s/w guys have to do the job - not cheap equipment - or buck up an pay someone to do the job. neither is a cheap solution) then the only viable option is a piggyback/interceptor solution.

Just an observation, most folks here seem hard bent over on a GM only fix I don't know why though. :confused: I proposed a connector setup that would plug between the P10 and the GM harness - so no harness mod's to get the needed signals out to the piggyback - but no one came forward and said yes I like that idea and wanted to pony up for it.

So the offer is still there, and I'll just keep doing my own thing here until I hear from someone.

By Friday I'll have a decent tune in the motor and will be making good boost. Once done and the rest of the part for the good motor show up ( head) I'll go back to build it and then do the swap - followed by a re-tune but its all part of the game.

Within a couple of months I will also have an aftermarket intake ready that will allow 2 extra injector/cylinder - run from a separate controller - for my own use its to fuel the motor on 100% methanol - but no reason why you couldn't run gas and fuel the motor that way, so once the P10 said I'm not playing any more have the separate controller start fueling. The motor itself doesn't care where its fuel comes from as long as its in the correct proportion to the air being consumed.

Picture of the lower runners in wax ready to go out the foundry for casting. The flat surfaces are where the additional injectors go. The stock injectors and fuel rail are still maintained. I'll be running the stock injectors and fuel rail for normal every day driving @ 8 psi - the methanol system will be enabled when required.. :) along with high boost ( 20+ psi).

·
Registered
8 Posts
I latch to gm solutions, cause its what I know best.

If I were in the market for some tunability to the 4.2l I would be all over this. But as it stands, I am going thru a divorce and in military training....long story short, I need to leave my tuck how it is and save my money for the moment. Thanks for the offer!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Well the cam cores are designed and ready to goto the machine shop. We're getting them cut from 8620 round bar. GM does not sell cam cores for this engine and the aftermarket doesn't have them either - so the only way to get non-stock cams for this engine is to design and machine cam cores then send them to a cam grinder.

exhaust core
http://img213.imageshack.us/my.php?image=exhaustcamcoreld0.jpg

intake core

http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=intakecamcoreix0.jpg

The next step is to settle on a cam grinder, currently Comp Cams will do the job.
Will blanks be made available????

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Cam blanks

Available any time. 4-6 weeks lead time.

The billet cores need to get copper plated as part of the grinding process - helps reduce stress and distortion.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts

The billet cores need to get copper plated as part of the grinding process - helps reduce stress and distortion.
where did you get that and how much?

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Finished billet exhaust cam

Finished exhaust cam from the raw billets above... waiting for installation.

0.458" lift 224 deg @ 0.050

Stock is like 0.37 ish" lift 170 ish deg @ 0.050"

So even NA the '06 motor is going to thump....

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
WOW!

i was looking at my dads envoy and noticed that it was a I6. then i found this thread..... and was like YES! a 4.2L I6 thats american! i want to put this in a 260 or 280Z it would be SWEET!! i was thinking with some work i could get this to keep up with an RB26DETT. thats my dream

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Need to increase fuel delivery..

I was out tuning last night and found out the installed fuel system just doesn't flow enough fuel under boost, so a 255L/hour new pump is going in shortly. If I still can't get it rich enough then the 36# injectors are going in. Pumps easier to do - just pull the PU box off the truck - 6 bolts and a 6 pack for the guys to help lift the box off... :) The intake is a pain - its well confined at the back inside the firewall doghouse. ('51 GMC)

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
i was looking at my dads envoy and noticed that it was a I6. then i found this thread..... and was like YES! a 4.2L I6 thats american! i want to put this in a 260 or 280Z it would be SWEET!! i was thinking with some work i could get this to keep up with an RB26DETT. thats my dream
Keep up - not a problem - more like put him in the weeds

·
Registered
30 Posts
tranny Q

what tranny are you using? i am doing research to find the best one for me. i want a good 6 speed. i know that the auto form a C-6 vett will bolt on, but what else?

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
trans

I running a heavily modified 4L60E, its got just about every HD hard part that GM/aftermarket has to offer for this trans except the 300M output shaft. If this trans breaks I'll goto a 4L80E << not easy as the 4l80E is not a bolt in to the 4200 bell housing pattern. I'll have to make an adapter for the bell housing and T/C.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
2,582 Posts
I running a heavily modified 4L60E, its got just about every HD hard part that GM/aftermarket has to offer for this trans except the 300M output shaft. If this trans breaks I'll goto a 4L80E << not easy as the 4l80E is not a bolt in to the 4200 bell housing pattern. I'll have to make an adapter for the bell housing and T/C.
instead of 4l80 get a rpm transmission. Their trans are heavly modified to handle up to 500hp.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Okay.....

So what is the cost????

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
So what is the cost????
It was $550 the last time for 2 blanks, I'm waiting for new material pricing - the price of steel has changed since we got the last order done. I'll update later.

41 - 60 of 398 Posts