Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

21 - 40 of 398 Posts

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
4200 turbo manifold - final design...

Finally got the manifold design complete - 2 month interruption by a kitchen reno..

I also took a look the colorado 4&5 clyinder - once we prove the I6 design the other will follow....

Just waiting for my turn on the CNC mill - hopefully see parts within 4 weeks.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
efi-diy, Im continually impressed by your work. Cant wait to see that final header, going to be a bunch of guys lining up for one once we figure out the GM electronics aspect for the regular GMT360s.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Manifold measurements

Erik,

I'd like to see if this manifold will "as is" in the trailblazer. Could you take some measurements please.

The manifold is 9 1/8" wide measured from the exhaust port surface on the far outside vertical surface of the turbo flange.

From the top of the exhaust flange to the top of the turbo flange its 2".

Add another 9" from the top of the turbo flange to the underside of the hood ( this is for a Garrett GT4088 turbo).

The wastegate flange is 8 below the top of the exhaust head flange ( easier to measure with the stock exhaust manifold installed.. ;) ). The Tial wastegate is 5 3/4" tall and bolts directly to the wastegate flange. I suspect we'll get interference here and the lower flange will need to be tweaked with is not hard to do.

Marc

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
update to above psot

Erik,

I'd like to see if this manifold will "as is" in the trailblazer. Could you take some measurements please.

The manifold is 9 1/8" wide measured from the exhaust port surface on the far outside vertical surface of the turbo flange.

From the top of the exhaust flange to the top of the turbo flange its 2".

Add another 9" from the top of the turbo flange to the underside of the hood ( this is for a Garrett GT4088 turbo).

The wastegate flange is 8 below the top of the exhaust head flange ( easier to measure with the stock exhaust manifold installed.. ;) ). The Tial wastegate is 5 3/4" tall and bolts directly to the wastegate flange. I suspect we'll get interference here and the lower flange will need to be tweaked with is not hard to do.

On another note I'm working on a turbo intake manifold that will allow the stock fuel rail/injectors to be maintained and add 1 or 2 more injectors per runner with separate feeds for each injector. The ideal here is to be able to run either <100% methonal, or a mix of 100 octane unleaded and methonal or just 100 octane unleaded. I'll be set up for a LS1 cable type TB but with an adapter plate the stock 4.2 TB can be bolted on. If running 100 methonal under boost the turbo could blow directly into the intake as the methonal would cool the charge enough to keep detonation away. Might be an easier install rather than trying to find a home for an intercooler and plumbing...:cool:

This might be an alternative to trying to get the GM PCM to accept boost. If the GM electronics keeps the spark going and keeps the throttle open under boost conditions (maybe you know the answer).. Then a supplemental controller could take over the fueling under boost conditions e.g. start adding fuel @ 120 Kpa, then the GM pcm can shut its injectors off and the engine would keep going and not go into limp mode if the ignition is kept alive.

For my 4.2 build I also have spec out the custom Darton sleeves, Crower rods and J&E pistons. Also the block is getting main and head studs. The head is getting O ringed to prevent gasket issues.

Marc

·
Registered
chevy
1,797 Posts
On another note I'm working on a turbo intake manifold that will allow the stock fuel rail/injectors to be maintained and add 1 or 2 more injectors per runner with separate feeds for each injector. The ideal here is to be able to run either <100% methonal, or a mix of 100 octane unleaded and methonal or just 100 octane unleaded. I'll be set up for a LS1 cable type TB but with an adapter plate the stock 4.2 TB can be bolted on. If running 100 methonal under boost the turbo could blow directly into the intake as the methonal would cool the charge enough to keep detonation away. Might be an easier install rather than trying to find a home for an intercooler and plumbing...:cool:

:iagree:
I've heard lots of guys swear by this. It's the way I'm going when I build my turbo small block:thumbsup:
Keep us updated on this!!:yes: Very interesting!

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Marc, Id love to run out and grab measurements for ya but my TB is 300mi away from me in Seattle at my parents house. Wont let me take it to college my frosh year, so its t-minus 20 days and counting till I get it back.

And right when I get home I fly to Denver, so I cant get you measurements for about a month. Someone else please step in here and grab them??:hail:

And you can trick the P10 PCM from 02-05 to not go into REP mode, just have to run a voltage clamp on the MAP sensor then run a standalone spark control module (plus whatever extra fueling stuff). My issue is I want a 100% factory setup, run a stock GM PCM and have it control everything. I could probably make it work a lot easier with standalone stuff, but I dont wanna. :laugh::dielaugh::bonk:

I like the meth idea, these engine bays are small enough already (look at the heatsoak issues the SS guys have stock, let along MagnaCharged) that if we could bypass an I/C it would be nice. Or have to go liquid to air instead, air to air is way to big (but Travis made it fit on his TB I6).

Ive just got my summer living situation setup, and Im going to be living in N Idaho, not Seattle so I dont know if my FI plans will pan out this summer or not. Im still looking to make it work, problem is if I rip my TB apart and need something Im screwed as I cant run 5min to a store, its a 15-20min drive and I only have my TB...

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
N idaho

If your going to be close to Sandpoint - thats close enough to make a weekend trip to Calgary...

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
If your going to be close to Sandpoint - thats close enough to make a weekend trip to Calgary...
Hmmm:undecided

Only problem is being a poor college kid (as Im looking to buy rims, a new drop, and "other" performance mods:duh:) is gas costs a TON. Plus Im doing summer school Mon-Thurs and work Fri-Sun, so I dont have time to take vacation.:(

Coeur 'd Alene is about an hour south of Sandpoint, I ski at Schweitzer all the time.

Been talking to the 'rents and they are warming up to the idea of more performance oriented mods (as long as I pay for anything that breaks), so now its just a matter of funding and trying to find a backup car in case something happens and I cant drive my TB.

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
update....

Short block parts are getting picked up today, the turbo exhaust manifold is at the welding shop getting glued together ready this afternoon. Over the weekend I got the balance of the exhaust system 98% completed. Thursday we pour the first intake runner, and if it turns out good then the rest will follow.

I have 99% of all the parts to complete the build, waiting for charge air parts to show up and the usual minor stuff like clamps and fasteners. Goal is by 1st week of Sept. to have the engine installed and fired up NA then bolt on the turbo.

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
progress..

Over the weekend I did the mock up assembly, found a few minor issues that will be fixed quickly. Pistons are hung on the rods and loaded with gapped rings so they are ready to go. Need to chamfer the lower edge of the darton sleeves a bit and do a finally wash on the block to get the last of the debris out, then its assembly time.

Comp called this morning cams are finally ready to ship :)woot::woot:)... this is the last big purchase item that was hanging out there...

Block with the darton sleeves installed

Bottom end with factory girdle and ARP studs.

Head studs were installed and the head imprinted with the o ring wire so the groove can be cut in the head...

Once back from the salt I'll have the head and cams ready to button the engine up.. Still LOTS to be done though. Initially I'll fire and break the motor in NA, then add the turbo after 500 miles or so. I don't need the complications of a new motor and new induction system to sort out together.

While I had the rotating assembly installed I generated the timing wheel pattern diagram so the megasquirt extra folks can generate the trigger wheel pattern - this will allow usage of the OEM crank trigger. So soon MS will handle batch fire fuel and wasted spark without any mechanical mods. Later this year the MS sequencer will handle COP and sequential fueling. For retrofit app's this is going to be easier to handle than a hacked GM PCM and tunable.

·
Registered
67 Posts
While I had the rotating assembly installed I generated the timing wheel pattern diagram so the megasquirt extra folks can generate the trigger wheel pattern - this will allow usage of the OEM crank trigger. So soon MS will handle batch fire fuel and wasted spark without any mechanical mods.
I love you! :woohoo::hail::thx

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
fastest 4200

Just a quick note; got back from Speed week on the salt and the guys set a new car record of just shy of 190mph on the short course running a NA 4200 race engine - this was only the 3rd run on the motor and we were still tuning when mechanical gremlins sent us home. The engine is just wicked once it cleans out and comes on cam - revs to 8500 rpm it just flat out buzzes when it come on cam- it cleans your ears out real good.
from scta-bni.org
6666 E/GMS Black Opel Racing 189.804 MPH

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt_xl
1,356 Posts
Let us know what sort of numbers you get in the end. I'm looking for something with potential to throw into my 83 Regal that is smooth yet powerful.
I had an 83 Regal .. 3.8 bored out with a 4.1 aluminum intake and carb and tru duals .. loved that car ..

·
Registered
67 Posts
Just a quick note; got back from Speed week on the salt and the guys set a new car record of just shy of 190mph on the short course running a NA 4200 race engine - this was only the 3rd run on the motor and we were still tuning when mechanical gremlins sent us home. The engine is just wicked once it cleans out and comes on cam - revs to 8500 rpm it just flat out buzzes when it come on cam- it cleans your ears out real good.
from scta-bni.org
6666 E/GMS Black Opel Racing 189.804 MPH
Please tell me you took pics...

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Very nice efi-diy/Marc. Well its obvious my FI plans for this summer fell through badly. Parents set down the law and said NO PERF MODS period. So Im kinda stuck, and Im also at 95,9xx mi now so Id prefer to buy a newer motor (probably an 06+ one) and build that one up instead. And 8500rpm, geez I know the I4/I5s hit like 6800rpm easily. Wish the P10 could let the I6 rev higher than 6300 (well anymore than 6190rpm and mine starts hesitating before shifting).

Keep us updated man, at least I like knowing someone else is building these I6s up and cranking serious HP/TQ outta them.

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Turbo install complete and running

Well,

The turbo install is complete - took the truck for a very short and easy shake down cruise tonight. Its all working as it should - wastegate is opening at 8 psi which is fine for the stock engine.

Now the tuning starts, I'll post a video once I get everything sorted out.

M.

21 - 40 of 398 Posts