Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
gmc
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have had to replace your 4200 I'd like to ask the following and please indicate it in your reply:

1) year of engine
2) what failed e.g. rod bearing/rod knock
3) what caused the failure if known: e.g. overheat or ran out of oil...
4) how many miles on engine when it broke
5) year of engine you used as a replacement

Thanks

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
My baby was victim to the bad batch of cylinder liners early in the '02 model year production. I was lucky enough to NOT have the engine grenade and left stranded and merely had what almost sounded like a rod knock or collapsed lifter. (While cracked it didn't slide completely down the cylinder bore). GM swapped the engine with an '03 block with the upgraded internals at the 16-18k mark.

I was ready to trade it before it came back, but this was the VERY first time that a major repair like this was done to my satisfaction. It took something like 7-8 working days, but every wire, connector and fastener is the same as when it left the factory. I went over it before accepting it back and was amazed at the job the GMC dealer did.

Haven't had any other powertrain issues to date, knock on wood.

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
989 Posts
engine

I havent read where there has been a problem and people routinely get 200K or more out of them . Maybe the first couple of years they had a problem but that was 10 years ago.Maybe a google search would reveal more.

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_slt
7 Posts
I had the engine replaced in my 08 Envoy at 77K. It started with a cracked exhaust manifold which led to broken bolts (by dealership) which led to a fouled head (while drilling out the bolts) which led to broken head bolts (by dealership) which led to a fouled CPAS which led to a fouled block which led to a complete engine replacement. Good thing I was still under the power train warranty.

·
Registered
2008 isuzu ascender
989 Posts
I had the engine replaced in my 08 Envoy at 77K. It started with a cracked exhaust manifold which led to broken bolts (by dealership) which led to a fouled head (while drilling out the bolts) which led to broken head bolts (by dealership) which led to a fouled CPAS which led to a fouled block which led to a complete engine replacement. Good thing I was still under the power train warranty.
The cracked manifold is a issue but the rest is not an engine failure if the dealer is dropping metal shavings into the block while trying to fix it .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts