Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002 chevy
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: I meant to say I have a 4.2L I6 Engine.

I am looking at a possible good deal. There is a shop near me that my father-in-law knows the owner. Well in the shop they have a v8 motor from a newer model suburban probably around 2004+ I believe it is a 5.3L v8. I am wondering to the best of your knowledge would that motor be able to go into and replace my 4.2L Inline 6? Just curious, I know you may need to know more info. But if there is anything I need to look for, aka engine codes written somewhere on the motor, etc let me know what I need to look for.

Thanks

D~

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
81 Posts
4.2l v6?

Its a bolt in swap use the same mounts and wire harness they are identical on the v6 and 5.3 v8 both engines. The only one that is not a bolt in is when you have a 4.2 I6 then its not worth it for the swap because everything is different.

·
Registered
2002 chevy
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a bolt in swap use the same mounts and wire harness they are identical on the v6 and 5.3 v8 both engines. The only one that is not a bolt in is when you have a 4.2 I6 then its not worth it for the swap because everything is different.
Sorry typo on my part. It is 4.2L I6

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
7 Posts
Swap in progress

I'm starting to swap the 4.2 to the 5.3 this weekend any and all info will be taken into considertion, already have a 2004 5.3 from a silverado done the transmission research it will bolt right up my only issue as i sit is the wiring harness but i am looking into splicing a 5.3 wiring harness with PCM with a 4.2

·
Registered
2002 olds bravada
13 Posts
Your other issue you are soon to realize is the I6 has the trans crossmember welded in at a different spot. Yes, you can definitely cut it out and weld it back in or weld another in.

·
Registered
2007 gmc trailblazer_ls
6 Posts
going necro on this with a bump. i found some 5.3's being parted out, have plasma cutter, welder, and energy drinks. has nobody pioneered this? i've searched for hours and not found a single soul claiming to have done it, and it'd seem to be a trivial swap (relative to other swaps).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts