Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if a relearn is required after replacing the throttle body assembly on a 2004 Envoy 4.2L? The dealer told me today, I need replace mine because of a fault inside the TB itself for $533 installed. Thanks!

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
Yes you would and should disconnect the battery ,but I would try cleaning it real good and ;put it back on an try it 1st!

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes you would and should disconnect the battery ,but I would try cleaning it real good and ;put it back on an try it 1st!
Thanks, Loverotties... I have cleaned it myself and had it professionally cleaned, but the problem was actually diagnosed as a fault in the interior wiring of the throttle body.

I just wanted to know if I can replace the unit and run with it or if it really needs any dealer programming. Can you confirm that the battery unhook and hook up will be good enough?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
48 Posts
4.2 throttle body relearn

I have changed my tb for a new one did not need to do a relearn. That price seems a little high check online maybe rockauto and put it in yourself

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
.....That price seems a little high check online maybe rockauto and put it in yourself
Agreed...price is way high.:mad:

RockAuto has it for $251 plus shipping, but you can also use the 5% off discount code (current code #79531553023843 is good until tomorrow 3/4/12)

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_slt
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Agreed...price is way high.:mad:

RockAuto has it for $251 plus shipping, but you can also use the 5% off discount code (current code #79531553023843 is good until tomorrow 3/4/12)
Thanks, petevw... did you find the TB under the 4.2L or 5.3L or is there no difference between the two. I have a 4.2L and want to be sure that whatever I get works.:)

·
Premium Member
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,422 Posts
No relearn needed. Just replaced mine with a ported unit and all I did was disconnect the battery while installing it and left it disconnected for 30 minutes total time. That price is ridiculous, I paid a net of $235 for a brand new unit ported and shipped from supermodulation.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Thanks, petevw... did you find the TB under the 4.2L or 5.3L or is there no difference between the two. I have a 4.2L and want to be sure that whatever I get works.:)
That was the price for the 4.2.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
49 Posts
There is no relearn needed. Just disconnect the battery when you start the job and reconnect when you are done. Everything will be golden from there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts