Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 trailblazer, 4wd 4.2 i6, only had one code for a cylinder 2 misfire, replace coil pack and plug no fix misfire at idle and smoothed out while driving, shop said wasn't injector and they suspected intake valves. so earlier today i was undressing the engine getting ready to take the head off and i noticed that the marks on the cam sprockets do not line up with the dark links, the dark links are 1 tooth behind on both cam sprockets marks. wondering if any one knows some common reasons for this? bad chain? at this point it looks like i have to drop the pan for the timing cover and go through everything, right?

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
305 Posts
If the truck was running ok, it's probably not out of time. On I6 engines, if you turn the engine over by hand SEVERAL times, they will line up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply i was about to start tearing into it, went out and kept turning it and sure enough they lined up.
now as far as ideas to keep the chain on the crank sprocket the right way while taking the cams out? think i can get away with just a bungee cord to keep tension on it?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2 Posts
After it lined up did the idle misfire go away? I'm having the same issue at idle it misfires but above 1000 rpm it's fine.

Sent from my HD1907 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lining them up was just to get everything in the correct position the fully take the head off, which is currently in the machine shop. if you're having a similar issue you probably have a bad valve somewhere like i, and many other people have had.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts