Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just spent a ton of money replacing just about everything regarding suspension, steering, wheel bearings and got the heater controls working again, had the 6 cd disc player rebuilt replaced just about every light bulb on the dash and door controls not to mention the instrument cluster's stepper motors new tires plus the spare tire winch right down to replacing the auxiliary 12 volt outlets.
So right before we leave one of the transmission lines sprung a leak and I take it in to have them all replaced and a transmission filter change when the shop calls me and said I better come take a look.
Your frame is rusting out you can't take this on your trip!
Un believable all that $ down the tubes. A truck with only 150,000 miles on it. Body and interior are immaculate! How does this happen!
My question is does anyone know if this can be repaired? The trans guy said he didn't think so.

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes, grey leather, heated seats and mirror's it's loaded,

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have just spent a ton of money replacing just about everything regarding suspension, steering, wheel bearings and got the heater controls working again, had the 6 cd disc player rebuilt replaced just about every light bulb on the dash and door controls not to mention the instrument cluster's stepper motors new tires plus the spare tire winch right down to replacing the auxiliary 12 volt outlets.
So right before we leave one of the transmission lines sprung a leak and I take it in to have them all replaced and a transmission filter change when the shop calls me and said I better come take a look.
Un believable all that $ down the tubes. A truck with only 150,000 miles on it. Body and interior are immaculate! How does this happen!
My question is does anyone know if this can be repaired? The trans guy said he didn't think so.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, I went ahead and had him replace all the lines and filter.

·
Super Moderator
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
434 Posts
Maybe consider something 'like' frame stiffeners , after a section repair .
Jeep guys do it a lot .
Not sure how bad your frame is rusted , but , a good welder can do miracles .

·
Registered
2005 Trailblazer LS & 2007 Envoy SLE
20 Posts
Rust sucks. Best of luck with the repair.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeep guys do it a lot .
Thankds PD
Jeep guys do it a lot .

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Jeep guys do it a lot .
thanks pdcomm

·
Registered
26 Posts
Check with a Truck Frame repair shop. They do Semi's Dump trucks all the time. They can fix yours too

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
13 Posts
Depends where the rust is and how much rust. My 04 Envoy had enough frame rust adjacent to the cat con to fail state inspection. After trying 6 different weld shops the only one willing to even give it a good look said leave it and maybe he could get to it in a couple of months. There is a big liability issue here. Also, it is likely that the body will have to be raised at least somewhat over the frame. Being a glutton for punishment, I replaced the 04 with an 09 that I checked for rust as well as I could.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Should have had it undercoated years ago.
Undercoating HOLDS any salt or water against the frame; it was a farce that put $$$s in dealership pockets to keep the hot-n-cold running secretaries on the 2nd floor in apartments, clothes and shoes.

What was needed was a thorough wax coating inside the frame rails and assorted crossmembers. etc.

That frame wax is miraculous in that if it goes on before any rust - it cannot get started. Check out a YT channel by VEHCOR and see how he treats body and frame repairs at his shop - 'way up in the rust belt.

·
Registered
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT
264 Posts
Undercoating HOLDS any salt or water against the frame; it was a farce that put $$$s in dealership pockets to keep the hot-n-cold running secretaries on the 2nd floor in apartments, clothes and shoes.

What was needed was a thorough wax coating inside the frame rails and assorted crossmembers. etc.

That frame wax is miraculous in that if it goes on before any rust - it cannot get started. Check out a YT channel by VEHCOR and see how he treats body and frame repairs at his shop - 'way up in the rust belt.
Not that stuff that my mechanic uses. Its oil based. Its the best stuff on the market. It works great I had mine done last year and its one of the best things ive ever done to my truck. I can tell you that the stuff stinks for about a month untill it dries.

·
Registered
2003 Chevy Trailblazer LT
264 Posts

Thanks ill check out the channel

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Not that stuff that my mechanic uses. Its oil based. Its the best stuff on the market. It works great I had mine done last year and its one of the best things ive ever done to my truck. I can tell you that the stuff stinks for about a month untill it dries.

Let me look into that product. Thanks.

·
Registered
2005 Trailblazer LS & 2007 Envoy SLE
20 Posts
I believe that NH oil is very similar to Fluid Film

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all of the suggestions, I appreciate them.
Probable sell it for a parts vehicle or to someone who wants to invest in the repair.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
402 Posts
Read this and scheduled an appointment to have my TB looked at. Gotta make this thing last a while longer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Read this and scheduled an appointment to have my TB looked at. Gotta make this thing last a while longer.
NJ, let me know how it goes. I'm curious as to how widespread this may be. Good Luck! JC

1 - 20 of 42 Posts