Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Pewter ls with automatic trans. 4x2, gray cloth interior.
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone know of a good rocker switch and a spot to mount it? I have aftermarket fogs and wiring harness with horrible unmounted switch.

*10/18/21 Do the switches have to be rated the same as the wiring harness?

My wiring harness specs are:
  • 12 v / 30A Relay
  • 15A Fuse

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,515 Posts
Likely any auto parts store will have the rocker switch.

As far as where to mount, I do not have a clue.

Good Luck

Reactions: 2002 TB LS

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do the switches have to be rated the same as the wiring harness?

My wiring harness specs are:
  • 12 v / 30A Relay
  • 15A Fuse
Will a 12V 20 Amp Toggle Rocker Switch work?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
First, you have to realize that if something is going to fail, y (say a hot wire shorting to ground) you want to minimize any potential damage to the lights and to the vehicle's electrical system. Hence, when looking at the various device specifications, fuse - 15 Amps, Relay - 30 Amps, and Switch - 20 Amps. The fuse is your sacrificial part and should blow in the event of either a short or the lights pulling more than 15 amps. So yes, you can use a switch rated at 12 V and 20 Amps in your fog lights installation.

If you were to run a lower amp rated switch, you risk the switch overheating and the potential for it to cause some damage, including an elevated risk of fire.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, you have to realize that if something is going to fail, y (say a hot wire shorting to ground) you want to minimize any potential damage to the lights and to the vehicle's electrical system. Hence, when looking at the various device specifications, fuse - 15 Amps, Relay - 30 Amps, and Switch - 20 Amps. The fuse is your sacrificial part and should blow in the event of either a short or the lights pulling more than 15 amps. So yes, you can use a switch rated at 12 V and 20 Amps in your fog lights installation.

If you were to run a lower amp rated switch, you risk the switch overheating and the potential for it to cause some damage, including an elevated risk of fire.
Thanks for clearing that up! Going to look for a nice 3 gang switch and panel.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
I love relays!

That said - I would always use the switch to signal the relay to do the (any) heavy lifting ... all of this is fused, natch!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love relays!

That said - I would always use the switch to signal the relay to do the (any) heavy lifting ... all of this is fused, natch!
Wouldn't a relay be powered by the fuse box? I like to be able to just have an independent switch for the lights.

Even a simple wiring harness with a switch is hard to find.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Theres nothing bad nor inherently evil about putting your own relay and circuit in a light wiring system.

No way I'd want to even consider using the vehicle's own relay circuit board!..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts