Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a long time GM fan (my first car was a 65 Chevelle, I started building when I was 14), but strayed from the fold for my last purchase back in 05. Fast forward to having our second child, and my Subaru WRX wagon is feeling a little cramped. I have driven TBs in the past for long term rentals and on vacation, and have always felt "so-so" about them. In looking for my next vehicle, I need decent towing capacity for my 21' boat, and room for a potential 3rd child. I was looking into Lambda platform offerings, but with the deals available on the TB right now and the 5200lb towing capacity of the Lambdas; I have been leaning towards a SWB TB/Envoy or TBSS.

The deals on the TB/Envoys are only worthwhile if I can fit 3 car seats in the second row. I know the easy answer is to cart 3 car seats down to the dealership and play musical chairs, but that is quite the hassle, so I figgured I'd ask to see if someone else has been down this road before. If I can fit em I'm pretty much sold. Then the only task is deciding between being practical, and suffering horrible gas mileage to get the SS :)

Any input with regard to multiple car seat installations in SWB TB/Envoys is welcome.

Thanks,
Chris

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:tiphat Welcome :tiphat .#1) You could try calling AAA. They occasionally have work shops for child seats. They might know. #2) I can see why you picked that name.:D
Thanks for the tip. I'll give em a call on Monday. About the name, I've actually run that moniker for longer than the kids have been around. It goes back to a strange obsession with going fast in a boat ;)

· Registered
chevy
357 Posts
I actually have three kids right now. Ages 5, 3, and 1. I have two Trailblazers. An EXT model and the SWB model. The EXT has no issues when it comes to hauling my kids. The SWB is a different story. Usually, we just take the EXT if the wole family has to go somewhere. If I have to load up the kids in the SWB, my 5 year old gets stuck in the middle between two car seats. I normally just put the belt on him with the shoulder part behind him. This does make me uncomfotable (normally he's in a bottom booster), but I have not seen any car seats that are thin enough to fit three in a row. I've tried two car seats and one booster and it also won't fit. So, we tend to not take the SWB when everyone wants to come along. If you find the right combination of car seats, let us know.

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually have three kids right now. Ages 5, 3, and 1. I have two Trailblazers. An EXT model and the SWB model. The EXT has no issues when it comes to hauling my kids. The SWB is a different story. Usually, we just take the EXT if the wole family has to go somewhere. If I have to load up the kids in the SWB, my 5 year old gets stuck in the middle between two car seats. I normally just put the belt on him with the shoulder part behind him. This does make me uncomfotable (normally he's in a bottom booster), but I have not seen any car seats that are thin enough to fit three in a row. I've tried two car seats and one booster and it also won't fit. So, we tend to not take the SWB when everyone wants to come along. If you find the right combination of car seats, let us know.
Hmm, not the news I was hoping for, but in reading dimensions online, I could see how it might not work. I've got a 2mo old and a 3yr old, and based upon when we might have our next, I'd say I'd have a 5/6yo, a 2/3yo, and a newborn. For car seats, we have Britax Boulevards, Graco Natiluses, and a Peg Perego carrier; definitely not the slimmest of seats on an individual basis. If I end up trying to shoehorn them all into one on a lot and have success, I'll let you know.

Tahoe/Yukon? More than ample power, more than enough space. However pricing could play a big factor.
Pricing would be a concern, but more than that, the size of the vehicle is another issue. I've had 2500 Burbans and a 2 door Tahoe, and I'd just like something a touch smaller. The Lambda's sneak in with just enough towing capacity to haul my boat and gear, but the extra capacity of the TB would be nice.

Chris

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lil_Mac

I was doing more research on car seats, and found that a woman was able to get two Sunshine Kids Radian seats AND a Peg Perego SIP carrier into the back seat of an 04 Prius. I gotta believe that the SWB TB has a bigger back seat than a Prius.

The Radians go up to 65'lbs, and the Radian80 goes up to 80lbs so they might work for you.

For me, I'd basically need to rent a TB, and go to a local retailer that stocks the Radian seat to see if I could pull it off.

Chris

· Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
996 Posts
I have an 04 EXT, along with 3 kids (7,4,9mth). I actually put all 3 in center row. i have the 4yo in a newer style booster seat(the one with the removable back) the 9mth is in an infant seat, and the 7yo is in a booster seat. The buckles are a little tight to get to though. I have the 4yo behind the driver, infant in center and the 7yo on pass side. I havent tried to see how it will fit when the infant goes to a forward seat, il check that today for you since i have the 4yo old seat still. Ive wanted a TB SS, but thats my biggest concern having to stuff all 3 in 1 row w/o other options

· Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
4,302 Posts
Alrighty....here is my experience hauling 3 kids in a SWB TB:

3 booster seats , Is do-able but a HUGE PITA! Def. not something I would want to do everyday all day...it sucks!

1 infant seat, highback booster & a booster (did this yesterday) Do-able, def easier then the above, but again, def would not want to do on a daily basis.

1 seat belt, 1 highback & a booster. Much more do-able. Very cozy...not a good cozy.

2 kids one on each side....very do-able. I do it daily. Gotta keep em' seperated!

I would def go with the LWB if you are thinking about 3 kids.....or no one is going to be happy! Not he kids....too close=arguing!!! Plus, you can't haul anyone else. Mama won't be happy & you won't be happy b/c Mama isn't happy! :D

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I think I may rent a SWB TB for a weekend and see what we think. I've got family that works for Enterprise, so it's not much of an investment, and it's probably best that my wife gets a chance to drive with that combination of proximity to see if it's something she could hang with if she had to drive the TB.

Thanks,
Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.