Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm toying around with an idea for a stereo/carputer setup and I'm not 100% sure if what I'm thinking about will work.

My idea is to have a computer that does navigation, DVD and other computer stuff. I want headrest monitors in the front seats and a monitor up front where the stereo is.

That's where I run into trouble. The wife wants something that has a volume knob on it instead of having to fumble with on-screen controls which makes sense to me. The idea here then is to have a 1DIN stereo (which takes the audio in from PC) and a 1DIN flipout LCD (Xenarc 700IDT, for instance). I haven't seen (or found) any pictures of this setup and with the way the bezel is on the TB's, I don't know if 2 units would fit in there without being overlapped by the bezel. Since it's such a small piece I guess I could modify it and smooth it out a bit. I could easily buy a new piece if I ever wanted to revert back since one of the goals is to not hack this thing to pieces.

Any thoughts or input?

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,536 Posts
I personally have not seen this done in a TV but I think it is definately possible. You would need to buy the In-dash kit for Doubledin applications at a minimum in my opinion to make it work as well as some minor modifications.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,638 Posts
i believe ive seen this done on another vehilcle.... you end up starpping the 2 units togeter, the use a double din like culzero said, I'm going to try and find some pics for ya...

and yes that kit should be the one you need

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh that would be helpful, thanks.

I went onto Scosche's "Live Chat" thing to talk with a sales person. He said that would work but there may be anywhere from 1/8" to 3/4" gap between the two units, depending on the height of each unit.

As an aside, it would be really nice to find a 2DIN touchscreen with a USB interface and volume knob.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
if you go to mp3car.com they have one on there website thats all in one double din and volume knob, but on the other hand kenwood still makes a unit that has a volume knob and 7 inch scrren.....

heres the link lil expensive but its got everything all done for ya......http://store.mp3car.com/Guru_Double_Din_Car_Computer_p/ccc-130.htm

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That all-in-one would be nice, but not for $3000. If I could just get that screen though I would be golden.

I looked at Kenwood's site and couldn't find any standalone LCD with volume knob, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough. Do you have a link?

Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm looking to do a custom car computer, not really an all in one deal. Ultimately I want it to drive 3 monitors and be able to control the volume with a knob. Price isn't really an issue right now, I'm just trying to research the parts. Again, just a standalone touch screen with usb interface and volume knob would be ideal, but I don't think anything like that exists.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not really. I'll of course want all of the audio from the computer to go into the head unit so the volume can be controlled via an aux in or something similar. I've always been partial to Pioneer decks though.

And Bluetooth handsfree capability (either built-in or with an expansion module) would be pretty fantastic...and the ability to hook up an iPod, but that could just be split off of the aux adapter or hooked into the computer for use with iTunes so it's not that big of a deal.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow, thanks for that. I had already been looking at the 700IDT. I was kinda wanting to get a mac mini for the computer, but this is cheaper and looks to be a little better for specs. The main concern with the computer though is frontend and I haven't done any sort of research on which frontend I'd want to use.

The head unit looks nice, though I'm not really partial to blue but that's a good starting point. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
mp3car has a bunch of stuff on there web page for FE apps so look there first there pretty much the place to go to look for what your doing they have a ton of help there too if you have any questions.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
I'm at work, so I read the thread quickly. Please forgive me if this has been already stated:

Metra 99-2003 should cover you for a single din screen, and an additional single din opening.

Grab a nice parametric EQ, such as a Clarion, or JL. These often have volume knobs. Run the PC at the appropriate level, and trim with the front controls.

I would then grab a USB slim-mount DVD drive to install with the EQ. You end up with a clean-looking install, along with a DVD/CD drive up front, and a traditional rotary knob for volume.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think I like that Metra one better as it looks like it has something to fill the gap. I think I would still rather have a head unit to do the volume/equalizer control and bluetooth stuff. The few experiences I've had when trying to use a computer as a hands free device have not gone over well. Truthfully though my last try was quite a while ago. Have there been any improvements? Is there one great software solution that I'm overlooking?

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
497 Posts
I think I like that Metra one better as it looks like it has something to fill the gap. I think I would still rather have a head unit to do the volume/equalizer control and bluetooth stuff. The few experiences I've had when trying to use a computer as a hands free device have not gone over well. Truthfully though my last try was quite a while ago. Have there been any improvements? Is there one great software solution that I'm overlooking?
Quality of bluetooth with a computer is dependant completely on the chipset used. I've seen them be great, and I've seen them be truely worthless.

I personally have dabbled in the "carputer" market, and I pulled everything out. I found the software floating around to be hopeless. I thought about writing it myself, but it's simply not worth my time. In the end, it was an interesting hobby that is fine for occupying my time, but there was no practical consumer application.

I think you are wise to use a traditional head unit. But that said, I think you would be even more wise to ditch the carputer and simply get a double-din navi head unit. Pioneer makes a great one for not much money.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls_ext
314 Posts
if you use vista as the operating system you can get a remote that controls all the Windows functions. Like next track volume and other stuff like that. Just a thought.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.