Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know 2wd is used for normal conditions and it consumes less gasoline... I have had problems with my trailblazer peeling out and spinning out of control in the rain while turning (even light rain when the street is slick) on 2wd without me having to drive fast.... will switching to AWD help me with that problem?.... How does AWD work compared to 4wd on a trailblazer?....FYI my tires still have traction also...so i dont think i need to switch them yet...

thank you for your help...

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
331 Posts
4wd vs awd

The short answer is 4wd is for offroad conditions never use it on pavement the awd will be fine for the rain

·
Registered
694 Posts
First off our platform doesnt offer AWD. It does have A4WD which stands for Automatic 4 Wheel Drive. This may help some, but be advised that it will feel like the truck is lurching when it engages this way. You are the first person I know of that has had this problem and doesnt think it is the tires. I presonally think it IS your tires.:yes:

·
Banned
2007 chevy
4,644 Posts
First off our platform doesnt offer AWD. It does have A4WD which stands for Automatic 4 Wheel Drive. This may help some, but be advised that it will feel like the truck is lurching when it engages this way. You are the first person I know of that has had this problem and doesnt think it is the tires. I presonally think it IS your tires.:yes:
:iagree:

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,113 Posts
:iagree:x2

also adjust yur drivin style a little, this is a rear wheel drive vehcile, and most times there is no weight over the rear wheels as opposed to the heavy front end, this will also cause traction issues

in any vehicle during inclement conditions yu should not accelerate through a turn...accelerate into it, coast through, then accelerate out...accelerating through will cause fishtail

now to yur question

2wd power given to only the rear passenger wheel (both rear wheels with the available G80 locking rear diff)

A4WD the slip nd grip feature...if yur vehicle senses that the rear wheels are moving faster than yur front (slipping) the transfer case will lock up, giving power to the front wheels (wheels with solid grip) to help keep yu on course. can be used very effectively in wet conditions as well as snow...note: on engagment during slippage yu will feel a slight bump, this is just the front engaging.

4WDhi/low--transfer case locks in...giving its power to all 4 wheels ( i wonder if yu dnt have G80 would this then be 3WD? :undecided)

AWD all wheel drive is 4 wheel drive all the time

·
Registered
8,781 Posts
The Bravada and Rainier were offered in AWD

The Trailblazer SS and Saab 9/7x Aero is offered in AWD

but its more like a 30F/70R split

·
Registered
694 Posts
I sit corrected :bonk: Majestic is right. Sorry, I tend to forget about the other platforms unless people have filled out there profile. :duh:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
267 Posts
Wait... the driver side rear wheel is a non-drive one? I thought it was the other way around, both are powered unless you have a locking diff and one of them is spinning freely.

Be advised, if you drive on 4LO at high speeds (higher than 30 MPH???) you are at risk of blowing up the transfer case (ok... chances are you will coast to the dealership to get a new one).

Your problem seems rare, however, my uncle lives in a big metro where most asphalt is made using limestone aggregate (for those who are not familiar with this, it is very slippery), and he mentioned that he did lose traction a couple of times on his EXT, but swapping to A4WD took care of the problem.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
As Majestic said, only the Bravada and Rainier had "AWD". I put it in quotes because its not a true AWD system like the TBSS and 9-7X Aero have.

Using A4WD in the rain helps a little, I had to use it for a year or so when my tires were crappy as heck before I could get new ones.

·
Western Canada Chapter
6,411 Posts
He may be one of the lucky ones with the 3.73 or 4.10 rear end gears. :undecided

The locker is a bit funny on corners as it will not lock on a hard turn or higher speeds. One wheel gets it all. Different story if you start off in a straight line then the locker will work fine.:m2:

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
625 Posts
2wd power given to only the rear passenger wheel (both rear wheels with the available G80 locking rear diff)
Correct me if i'm wrong but the G80 doesn't do any good above 20 mph. So if your slipping above that speed, well nothing is gonna happen anyway

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow ... thank you for your help... I will have my tires switched then.. its been a while since i had them changed anyway.... I will also switch to A4WD on slippery conditions... Thanks again...

·
Registered
2005 buick rainier
22 Posts
Damn mine has AWD no drifting for me...unless it is snowing and I "favorably gas it" around the corner. Or maybe I'll just take the G8 out....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts