Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, Im new here. About a year ago I was in need of a new car. Unfortunately I dont have the credit score to obtain my own loan, so my father had to co sign for me, but he intentionally forced me (and would only co sign) to buy a truck/suv i couldn't lift and have "fun" (off-roading) with. Or so we both thought until now! hahah

Anyways I will def be doing a suspension lift, upper ball joint mod wont be a problem, rims, spacers and tires (body very soon, but not right now). The only problem is that I REALLY want to slap some 285/70/17 under my envoy. BUT the only mod i cant get away with doing is fender modification (because my dad will NOT be okay with that hahah...even though I pay for the damn envoy myself). Without the body lift, can I get away with not cutting away any fender?? And with the body lift?

THANKS all!! talk to you all soon

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
A 285/70/17 is almost a 33" tire, and 285 is extremely wide. You'll be hard pressed to fit that in without having to cut away some outer fender, and you will certainly have to cut inner fender lining no matter what. The big variable is your wheels and the resulting backspacing. With 285 you will certainly need new, wider wheels, so if you pick wisely you may be able to cut down on any necessary trimming.

If you want my opinion, your best bet is to stay under 32" and at or under 265mm if you want the best bang for the least amount of trimming.

Oh, and welcome to the site. Sounds like you've done a bit of reading. Cheers.

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Intentionally thwarting your Dad's requirements isn't a good way to work that relationship, but welcome to the site anyway. I'm just talking as a Dad, now. :undecided

Anyway, you're going to have some severe fender hitting going on when the suspension's compressed and you're turned at all, and even some when you're not turned. And you need to trim the rear edge to fit them in.

But the bigger problem is going to come from an unexpected source. That size tires are NOT going to be spec'ed to fit on the 7" wide OEM rims. So then you need new 8" wide rims (hopefully five to go with the five tires you're going to need). And then the wheels you want aren't going to be available in 6X127 stud pattern unless you choose something already in the stickied thread here about current setups. So it quickly gets out of hand.

Think about keeping them to 31.5" diameter for now.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh sorry if I didnt state this. I was def going to get wider rims, to accommodate the tires. But it doesnt sound like they will clear all that plastic crap in the wheel well, no matter how big of a spacer I get.

And yes, thanks you james i have been doing a GOOD amount of reading on here. hahah. I just discovered the site last night, so Ive been cramming hahah. I must just go with the 255/75/17 considering theyll put me right at that 32" mark. I just want the biggest amount of lift as possible, and I feel like Ill b missing out on that extra 1/2" without the 33's.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh yea, there are some pretty awesome trails around me. Im near the mountains in maryland. I got inspired after camping this weekend when my friend and I ACCIDENTLY (dont ask) wondered on to an ORV/ATV trail. I couldn't pull my self away from the trail for about 4 hours lol, even though about every 5 minutes i heard that dreaded slamming noise when the bottom of the frame slammed down on top of a rock lol.

I was looking at more pictures. Can I just remove all the plastic inner fender walls, and have room for the 285's? As long as I dont cut any of the fender, I should be in the clear (getting bitched-at-wise hahahah)

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
o hey,wow damn i didnt notice you were from MD! sweet now maybe i can have somebody to call and help me fix stuff after I break it once i start goingout on trails haha jk. I was just camping at greenridge out in western MD. You know that huge ORV trail they have that run through the camp ground?

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_lt
2,636 Posts
o hey,wow damn i didnt notice you were from MD! sweet now maybe i can have somebody to call and help me fix stuff after I break it once i start goingout on trails haha jk. I was just camping at greenridge out in western MD. You know that huge ORV trail they have that run through the camp ground?
Ah yes, that was the first real trail I hit with my truck back when it was basically stock. I'd like to go back there sometime soon. I was contemplating hitting Green Ridge or Assateague in the coming weeks.

FYI, these are some videos and pictures from a few of my past trail rides including GR: http://offroadtb.com/trail-reports/

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
265x70x17 with 17x8 in rims rub ALOT with just the 2.5 inch suspension lift, 1.3 in spacer-adaptors, and some minor trimming. I have to get a body lift to clear these. I doubt you can do a 285 without ALOT of cutting. I will not offorad it until I get a body, since even with more trimming it will hit the fenders with minimal compression.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,031 Posts
265x70x17 with 17x8 in rims rub ALOT with just the 2.5 inch suspension lift, 1.3 in spacer-adaptors, and some minor trimming. I have to get a body lift to clear these. I doubt you can do a 285 without ALOT of cutting. I will not offorad it until I get a body, since even with more trimming it will hit the fenders with minimal compression.
I would say that it is due to the back spacing on your wheels as there are many people running 265/75-16 on 16x7 with no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
4,126 Posts
I would say that it is due to the back spacing on your wheels as there are many people running 265/75-16 on 16x7 with no rubbing issues.

Possibly. I have not seen another lifted one to compare how mine sits. I have another set of 16x8 wheels that i am trying to find some tires for so I can do a side by side test and see what the difference is. Hopefully I can find some soon, but I want an aggressive set for a decnt price that i can wheel with and keep th 17's free of rock rash.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so I was looking everything over in the wheel well the other nite and I think I might have my plan. Some one please tell me if this isnt going to work. Like I said i CANNOT cut** anything, but I CAN** remove things. So I might just take off the front bumper and those fender well walls. I think theyre suppose to keep the mud out of something but maybe not.

Im going with the new rims, 285/70/17 (or 16's depending on the rims I get ahold of) the markmc suspension lift (until he hopefully finishes the body lift hes working on) and 1.5? wheel spacers.

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
269 Posts
Some one please tell me if this isnt going to work. Like I said i CANNOT cut** anything, but I CAN** remove things.
Im going with the new rims, 285/70/17 (or 16's depending on the rims I get ahold of) the markmc suspension lift (until he hopefully finishes the body lift hes working on) and 1.5? wheel spacers.
Not gonna work.
Go smaller on the tires.
If you cannot cut or hammer the plastic rocker panel that goes under the doors, you most likely will not be able to fit these tires. Look at pics below.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
GMlee, can i get away with just removing the rocker panel all together?? I can cut/bend/hammer what EVER is behind the inner fender mud guard and the rockpanel!! (cuz thatll be behind the rock panel if I put it back on...that way daddy will NEVER know hahahahah)

·
Registered
2005 chevy trailblazer_ls
269 Posts
GMlee, can i get away with just removing the rocker panel all together?? I can cut/bend/hammer what EVER is behind the inner fender mud guard and the rockpanel!! (cuz thatll be behind the rock panel if I put it back on...that way daddy will NEVER know hahahahah)
if you take off the entire plastic panel that runs under your doors you wont have to cut it. You would still need to hammer back the metal tab that it screws to in your fender well. you can also remove the entire fender liner instead of cutting. to clear those tires you will also have to remove the front bumper or cut the inner corner by the bottom bracket out to keep from rubbing. Here's a pic of my front bumper, not noticeable from the front or side, so your dad may not notice, but needs to be done.

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Im actually 22, my father HAD to co sign for me on the loan, because my credit score SUCKED and Im in college so I have no money for my own car really haha, and I basically got stuck with a SUV (he thought couldnt be lifted and all this good stuff) hahah. Even though I pay the full bill every month...he assumes he has the power to say what I can and cant do it...because technically hes a co owner.

I guess he figures if I get killed riding my crotch rocket,rock climbing, and all the other "life threatening" hobbies I get my self into, he can still sell the envoy for what its worth hahah

Its a loving relationship :bonk:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.