Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody,

Yet another question to help me determine my upgrade path. I've used the wheel/tire calculator and found these wheels: http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/...8-6x127-25mm-anthracite-machined-p-70697.html . They're the most generic-looking, non-chrome, 16-inch wheels I can find in our bolt pattern. According to the calculator, the tire will not be any further inboard than the 235/75/16 tires that are on the stock wheel now, but I just wanted to make sure about this. I'm looking to put Firestone Destination m/t's on and I believe that size works out to just shy of 33 inches (32.8), which is exactly the size I want to be in. I'd rather not do spacers, because the tire shop won't work on them on my car if I have them on, and I get a discount there because my buddy works there. So... let the feedback begin!:cool:

-Phil:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
Well, let's see. Those tires are 50mm wider than stock, which is 25mm each side of centerline, or 1" further in towards the upper ball joint. And the rims have 25mm less offset, so that pushes the centerline 1" out. But they're 8" wide, while stock is 7", so there's a 1/2" inwards for the final position.

And the diameter is 4" more than stock, or a radius increase of 2".

Go look at your current tire edge. Is there room between it and the upper ball joint for the tire to grow 2" UP and 1/2" IN? Probably not.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmmm... the calculator must be off... here's the link for it, and let me know what you think: http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

and I plugged in 235/75/16 for the stock size on a 16x7 wheel with 50mm offset

and the other was 285/75/16 on a 16x8 wheel with 25mm offset.

I'm hoping I can make it work because I just found a set of these wheels for only 110 each brand new.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just did a little thinking... the increase in wheel width doesn't push the actual tire any further in towards the knuckle, so the tire is actually going to be only 1" further inwards, which will be canceled out by the offset. My only concern then, is whether a stock tire that is higher by 2" can be utilized with sufficient clearance... I'll have to go measure when I get home (took the motorcycle to work).

-Phil

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
You're right. I didn't need to worry about the rim width since that's covered by the tire width. Might work.

BTW, that's a MOST EXCELLENT tire/wheel size calculator you found. Never saw one that took into account the wheel and offset and drew little pictures AND analyzed the changes. Very cool!!!!! :D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not my find, I did a search and found another thread it was referenced on, but you're right... it's the most AWESOME calculator I've ever found for... well anything... except maybe my TI-89, but that's another story :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.