Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to apoligize if this post needs to go some where differnt, I am new to this whole thread and online thing. Used to just being able to call upon family but I have moved and have no one here to help me!! :(

I have self diagnosed :woot: my 2004 GMC Envoy 6 cly. to have a bad water pump (also confirmed by firestone). I have bought the water pump online <new> to save money, and was wondering if there is any other part that I should replace while the shop repairs my water pump.
I know its alot of labor and I want to replace everything that needs to be replaced while I can.
I have read on here that there is no timing "belt" in my truck but a "timing chain" and that doesnt need to be replaced unless it breaks?

I also have read to replace the serpintine belt, but can the old pulley be used since it is a bolt on? It was makin a squealing sound but the seller i bought the water pump from said it was bc the water pump was bad, that when bolted back in the new WP it wont squeel anymore....

Before my truck started makin sounds like migets throwin rocks around under my hood and wobbling so much the fan was hiting the plastic shrouding..two things were happening... 1. my check engine light was comming on and when checked it coded- tempature sensor bad- i had no overheating tho
. 2. When i would start my truck up 3 out of 5 times it would sound like a navy jet plane about to take off..seriously just "i thought" reving to high..but was told it was prolly my fan spinning insanly high? :weird: Thought maybe i needed a fan clutch?
I have came to all these conclusions by simply readin your forums and searchin the intenet and printing out stuff..soin out to my truck and lookin under the hood..i have to go by pictures b/c i know the "correct' names of nothing.

I know this all is alot of information..i am sorry...i just can afford to have these ppl at the shop take advantage of me...700 to change JUST the water pump.. I kno the fact im young and a woman has alot to do with it..but i was born and raised in West Virginia..so im not stupid! If you all have any informataion on other part that i can buy to have put in while the water pump is being installed i would greatly appreciate it.

Im very thrifty and will search high an low for the cheapest parts and labor.
I think i know how to come back and check on this thread but if not [email protected] is my email. :thx In advance for ANY help!!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
I agree with your reading that you need a fan clutch as well, and it's zero EXTRA labor to throw it in at the time of changing the water pump. You should be able to find a Dorman brand replacement either locally or at rockauto.com for around $150.

For $700 labor I could almost fly out there on Southwest and do the job for you. :cool:

IME, Firestone and chain places like that have very high labor rates because of the franchise fees, and erratic reputations that entirely depend on the local manager. You might do better to find a GM experienced independent mechanic who's seen a trailblazer before.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
I agree with your reading that you need a fan clutch as well, and it's zero EXTRA labor to throw it in at the time of changing the water pump. You should be able to find a Dorman brand replacement either locally or at rockauto.com for around $150.

For $700 labor I could almost fly out there on Southwest and do the job for you. :cool:

IME, Firestone and chain places like that have very high labor rates because of the franchise fees, and erratic reputations that entirely depend on the local manager. You might do better to find a GM experienced independent mechanic who's seen a trailblazer before.
Thanks alot!! I found the running price for independent shops are 350 labor, found one shop runnin a special for 150! Thats why im tryn to get all the part here asap. I got the Waterpump for 60$ so now ill hunt for a fan clutch too. Do you think the old pulley will be ok once attached to new water pump? I just hope the fan is ok from all the knocking around it did..

Since you're supplying the pump, is the $700 for labor?
No it was for part too, but they were chargin 408 labor n the rest for the part...i got it for 60$

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
207 Posts
I just did my water pump and I put a new idler pulley on. That might be the squeak:m2:

Also the temp code is probably the thermostat. Its a pain but would be easier with the fan and shroud out. Only like $30.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
Things I had replaced:
water pump (autozone)
fan clutch (rockauto)
Shop labor was $250. The local shop said I got a good deal b/c it was a pain to remove the fan clutch. I believe them because I tried and failed miserably.

Make sure you buy the GM coolant too as you will need that as well.

PM me if you need part numbers.

Change your Serpentine belt too. Should all be included in the labor price of the water pump

·
Banned
2003 gmc envoy_slt
7,190 Posts
If you were getting a CEL for a temperature problem it was most certainly the thermostat. The t-stat on these trucks usually fail in the open position, so there would be no over heating. :m2:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
45 Posts
Just my :m2: but as you are new to an area. I have moved many many times and what always works for me is to go into the local NAPA and ask for a shop recomendation or two. They have yet to stear me wrong.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i dont know the axact code..just that my check engine lght came on and i have auto zone check it.. said it was coolant temp sensor... also my rmp guage stoped working.

after reading some more i have decided to wait on the fan clutch. the roar that i hear upon start up is only sometimes and i have read that is bc of the position of something when the car is shut off, and can also be how it is parked..inclined..declined.. Fluid leaks in and has to be pumped out then the roar will stop.I can only find a fan clutch for around 122$.

Also, i just bought a water pump..but is is just that and the seal nothing else... i seen on some places where they have universal water pump "kits" that come with this array of pulleys, bolts, wiring, and switches..ect.for the same price as i purchased the water pump....is that what i should have gotten?:confused:

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
207 Posts
No its just a metal housing with a threaded end and a water wheel on the back (and the seal aka a gasket). IMO I would do the idler pulley and belt when you do the water pump. If you take it to a shop they shouldn't charge more exept for the parts.

Coolant temp sensor is a Thermostat and its a pain in the :xss I did mine a couple weeks ago.

·
Registered
2003 trailblazer_lt
9,856 Posts
the roar that i hear upon start up is only sometimes
FWIW, mine also does it every once in a while, I'm not too worried about it.

Also, i just bought a water pump..but is is just that and the seal nothing else... i seen on some places where they have universal water pump "kits" that come with this array of pulleys, bolts, wiring, and switches..ect.for the same price as i purchased the water pump....is that what i should have gotten?:confused:
Nope, you only need the pump and gasket.

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
I would do the water pump and the thermostat at the same time. Replacing one at a time can be very labour-intensive.

I would also rethink your fan clutch. When the water pump is out, it is pretty simply to replace the fan clutch. The only problem with the fan clutch is that they are not cheap, and some aftermarket brands have been known to have a shorter life than the AC Delco parts.

The idler pulley is also a great idea, but that can wait if you wish because it can easily be replaced from above. You could do it yourself if you needed to. (Us guys would call it a "half-beer" job ... but I don't know what the equivalent 'measure' would be for you. Maybe only a fingernail or two?)

You might as well put in a new serpentine belt while you are at it.

This now covers the common replacement items at the front of your engine:
- water pump
- thermostat
- idler pulley
- fan clutch

The reality is that if you keep this truck a long time, you will end up doing these items anyway if they have never been done before.

Good luck and let us know how it works for you.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
1,044 Posts
:iagree: with Chickenhawk; all of it, especially the fan clutch comment.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Funny u should say that. a guy rearendedme last month...i had my hitch on...tore is truck up pretty bad..i had to get bumper painted lol.
i had a friend put in the waterpump..but..he or the hobbyshop cant get the fan clutch off the waterpump!! he is soaking it in hopes it will loosen..but if not seems like im out another 200$ on a fan clutch..wich i dont have :0( any ideas on how to get it off?
i will replace thermostat if its not more that 30$ ... this is all happing on the 'mortgage' end of the month so it sucks!
**i said im from WV..so a beer n one fingernail for me ;)**

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
since you have an 03- its time to change the Coolant.
Its a 5 yr or 150,000 miles coolant.
Youre past the 5 yrs...
so its time to change it....
Since youre changing the water pump---- REALLY consider the thermostat.
Also inspect the upper and lower radiator hoses.... and change those if necessary..

Alot of these items are intertwined-- like the fan clutch needs removing to get to the water pump...
the coolant needs to be drained to remove the water pump...
while the coolant is low-- it should make for a less messy removal of the thermostat... and if need be-- easier removal of the hoses (if needed).

Doing the items above separately can be more costly- due to the labor involved...
also- you may want to consider buying the coolant at Wal Mart... they sell it.
Dexcool- Premixed 50/50.... so you simply pour it in-- no need to mix

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No its just a metal housing with a threaded end and a water wheel on the back (and the seal aka a gasket). IMO I would do the idler pulley and belt when you do the water pump. If you take it to a shop they shouldn't charge more exept for the parts.

Coolant temp sensor is a Thermostat and its a pain in the :xss I did mine a couple weeks ago.
i have completed most of everything you all have said. i replaced my water pump, belt,thermostat,coolant tempature sensor, and finally the expensive fan clutch! it was all put n and i picked it up.. to my surprise when i started it up..i hear the all to familiar 'roaring' of the car..it feel like it is in a low gear n holding back until i reach about 30 mph..then seems to kick out (thought that would b gone by replacing fan clutch) ????? then as im making right onto street it starts to flutter kinda n try to shut off..it did this twice then my 'check engine' light came back on...
anyone kno what could be goin on? im spending this money and im not getting anywhere :0(
thanks again everyone!!

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
997 Posts
It sounds suspiciously like either a broken or frayed wire to the fan clutch (which is likely with the service light on) or the new fan clutch was defective out of the box.

Once you mechanic scans the trouble code, it will narrow it down. Broken wires after this much work on the front of the engine are not uncommon of course.

When they replaced the fan clutch, did they use a brand-name new part or did they get the part from an auto wrecker?

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
19 Posts
autozone WP

Things I had replaced:
water pump (autozone)
fan clutch (rockauto)
Shop labor was $250. The local shop said I got a good deal b/c it was a pain to remove the fan clutch. I believe them because I tried and failed miserably.

Make sure you buy the GM coolant too as you will need that as well.

PM me if you need part numbers.

Change your Serpentine belt too. Should all be included in the labor price of the water pump
Are they any good:confused:I bough one to (WP autozone) with them but I still saving to get a Fan Clutch to do te whole thing @=time...:thumbsup:good luck!

·
Banned
2004 gmc
26,181 Posts
then as im making right onto street it starts to flutter kinda n try to shut off..it did this twice then my 'check engine' light came back on...
If this was just after you picked the truck up, the computer might still need an hour or two of driving to relearn how to idle properly again. Let it get used to the new parts. And get the code read if you can.

The fan clutch can still "roar" for the first 60 seconds after a start, even new ones. It all depends on how it's sitting when it shuts off. All documented inthe "Fan Clutch 101" thread. It's not a problem unless it persists.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Are they any good:confused:I bough one to (WP autozone) with them but I still saving to get a Fan Clutch to do te whole thing @=time...:thumbsup:good luck!
Im not sure..i kno it wasnt from a wrecked car,but new.
He ran the check engine light n said it was my ..cam shaft sensor... that something and that are not talkin to one another. Also, that a at home mechanic is unable to fix this problem..its a dealership fix. Anyone have the same problems?
I will mention checking the wires to the fan whn i am able to have it looked at again. thank you

1 - 20 of 32 Posts