Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need new tires my stocks have 60 k on them and they are done. So i want to up grade to some nice rims don't want to spend over 1500 for a package , I would prefer 22's but my wife drives my 07 trailblazer more then me and on my last truck i had 275-40-20 and she hated how rough it was over bumps . so how are 22's with say a 40 or should i just be better off with a 275-45-20 thank you..

·
Registered
2006 chevy
2,079 Posts
20" wheels and tires do ride a bit less harsh then 22" wheels and tires.

Also remember the tire construction has a lot to do with the ride. The 255/50/20 Stock goodyears on my TBSS rode very smooth, but wore out in 30K miles. I had 275/45/20 Kumhos and they where loud on the highway.

I would look into either 265/50/20 Hankooks or 275/45/20 Hankooks. They are hands down the best riding 20" tires, Next to Toyo Proxes.

But you can't beat the look of 22" Wheels.. They do fill the wheel wells nicely!! I am running 265/40/22 Hankooks Rh06

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
20" wheels and tires do ride a bit less harsh then 22" wheels and tires.

Also remember the tire construction has a lot to do with the ride. The 255/50/20 Stock goodyears on my TBSS rode very smooth, but wore out in 30K miles. I had 275/45/20 Kumhos and they where loud on the highway.

I would look into either 265/50/20 Hankooks or 275/45/20 Hankooks. They are hands down the best riding 20" tires, Next to Toyo Proxes.

But you can't beat the look of 22" Wheels.. They do fill the wheel wells nicely!! I am running 265/40/22 Hankooks Rh06

That truck looks great nice and clean . Thank you for the help.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_slt
3,203 Posts
With a stock suspension, 20s ride nearly as well as the 17s....actually the Hankook 20s (great tires) are quieter than the Michelin Cross-Terrain All Season that GM shipped as standard on many of our trucks. The the Michelin is known to be a fairly quiet tire. The 22s are stiffer, even stock and feel more like 20s on a lowered vehicle......20 + lowering = harsher/stiffer ride.

Don't forget to look at the ForSale section in the Marketplace Forum on this site, lots of choices at a good savings over new are listed. (OK, including mine).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks but do 20's look funny to small ? with a 265-50-20 tire and my truck is not lowered wish i could but funds are low theses days. I want to go with a black rim look also.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt
599 Posts
thanks but do 20's look funny to small ? with a 265-50-20 tire and my truck is not lowered wish i could but funds are low theses days. I want to go with a black rim look also.
Here's 20's with stock suspension (I have a ground force kit waiting to go in when i get home from school in a few weeks though)

I've been having a complex recently trying to decide whether or not to ditch my 20's and get 22's after I lower it... :undecided

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
I went from 22's down to 20's...comparable to ride....20's hands down with 275 45 20........and as well you won't feel as bad when you curb the 20's compared to the 22's....LOL......seriously............

·
East Canada Chapter
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
404 Posts
20"s with stock suspension dont feel too much different than the stock 16 or 17's. I've gone from 20's to 22's and didnt feel TOO much of a difference at stock height. Naturally you'll feel more of the road with less rubber to absorb the bumps. Looks wise def. 22's will help you fill that gap much better than the 20's. I guess it all depends what you want more, looks or comfort...:crazy:

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
293 Posts
Glad this question came up, I have thought about ditching my 22"s because they ride like raped donkey assss. But I think it may be the tires, i have 265 40 22 and they are some offbrand name i cant even find....lol

Would like to ride with someone with 20's or 22's to get a idea of the difference.....maybe the lowering made the ride bad but I had the stockers on for a week after the drop and I thought it rode better then stock height.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
16 Posts
265/40/22 is what im riding , and the ride is ok , i almost got conned into buying 20's from the chevy dealer cause he said it would mess up the ride. i started with the 35 series and quickly upgraded to the 40 series, i have no problems , and it rides great. you can package deals online with tires for around that price with tires for 22's. but like other people said its what YOU like. I liked the 22 with the 40 series and no drop , it looks good to me. :m2:

·
Registered
713 Posts
22 inch, 40 series....
just make sure you get a good tire. like mental, i was worried about getting a crap tire and either busting it, or having quality issues. i got the GY Fortera SL Series, 265/40/22 and they are quiet, smooth, and pretty sticky feeling with some aggressive handling. and i dont notice a ton of difference in handling from the stock 17's...

Attachments

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
125 Posts
I don't know how you all got 40 series tires on your envoy's cuase i tried to put a 40 series on mine 22s and they started to rub instantly so the rim shop said i had to go with the 35 series tire. I really wanted more tire but they would'nt fit with the wanli tires. Any suggestions ?

·
Registered
713 Posts
i think gunru is an exception, most of the guys will 22's have no issues at all with the 40 series. only thing i can think of is if he went with 285 instead of 265. not sure about the measurements, but the greater width of the 285 will cause it to rub the arm above/inside of the tire toward the engine compartment.

·
Registered
2003 gmc envoy_sle
125 Posts
They started rubbing on the front part of the wheel well, and when i tryed to turn my wheel, rub action started. I want the 40 series tire, maybe i should try a different tire cause MI roads suck and i want the 40 series. Maybe it's the year of my vehicle i don;t know. "03"
I have 265/35/22 they put 265/40/22s and no fit.......

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
20"s with stock suspension dont feel too much different than the stock 16 or 17's. I've gone from 20's to 22's and didnt feel TOO much of a difference at stock height. Naturally you'll feel more of the road with less rubber to absorb the bumps. Looks wise def. 22's will help you fill that gap much better than the 20's. I guess it all depends what you want more, looks or comfort...:crazy:
:iagree: less tire more feeling on the bumps....LOL.......I liked the 22's just wished I put a 40 series tire instead.....20's for now and 24's down the road......:woot:....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts