Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very upset at GM. I have taken my vehicle in almost at 3k and beyond to tell them that my tires were wearing funny. "Oh thats normal, we checked your alighment and it's fine, nothing uh rotation wont fix, it will start wearing back to normal". We'll let me tell you, after having all my services done on time, and even had the alighment done as scheduled, my tires are making the absolute most annoying sound. The noise that comes from them is unbeleavable, (Rum, rum, rum, rum, rum, rum, rum) thats all I hear, after careful inspection, it looks like all my tires have unusual wear. So thanks GM, for the marvoulous service, and don't let me forget, those wonderful tires. Oh, by the way, no off roading here, just normal driving conditions. Anyhow, I am now in the market for new tires, any sugestions? My plan is to get new tires so that I can enjoy a peaceful ride for the next 2 yrs, and remove and replace them back with the old tires, when it's time to return it; since they still have exellent threading...:hahano:

·
Registered
477 Posts
I am very upset at GM. I have taken my vehicle in almost at 3k and beyond to tell them that my tires were wearing funny. "Oh thats normal, we checked your alighment and it's fine, nothing uh rotation wont fix, it will start wearing back to normal". We'll let me tell you, after having all my services done on time, and even had the alighment done as scheduled, my tires are making the absolute most annoying sound. The noise that comes from them is unbeleavable, (Rum, rum, rum, rum, rum, rum, rum) thats all I hear, after careful inspection, it looks like all my tires have unusual wear. So thanks GM, for the marvoulous service, and don't let me forget, those wonderful tires. Oh, by the way, no off roading here, just normal driving conditions. Anyhow, I am now in the market for new tires, any sugestions? My plan is to get new tires so that I can enjoy a peaceful ride for the next 2 yrs, and remove and replace them back with the old tires, when it's time to return it; since they still have exellent threading...:hahano:
What brand tires do you have now? What year/model is your vehicle?

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
BK, what do you have the pressures set at? My OEM's are down to 50% or less tread at 27Kmi.:( Funny story, my neighbors (older retired cpl) have a 2006 4-Runner. The old guy complained to the toyota dealer he was "sliding all over" in the snow, even with 4x4. No questions asked, they replaced all 4 tires including the spare with brand-new yokohama geolanders. Drilled huge holes thru the sidewalls of the OEM's and shipped them back to a toyota R&D center. With your typical chevy dealer, you could complain and get it on record 3x and they still wouldn't replace them for you.

Joel

·
Registered
477 Posts
BK, what do you have the pressures set at? My OEM's are down to 50% or less tread at 27Kmi.:( Funny story, my neighbors (older retired cpl) have a 2006 4-Runner. The old guy complained to the toyota dealer he was "sliding all over" in the snow, even with 4x4. No questions asked, they replaced all 4 tires including the spare with brand-new yokohama geolanders. Drilled huge holes thru the sidewalls of the OEM's and shipped them back to a toyota R&D center. With your typical chevy dealer, you could complain and get it on record 3x and they still wouldn't replace them for you.

Joel
I'm not surprised. People bash Toyota big time on many of these forums (including this one), but I have found Toyota service in my area MUCH better than either one of the Chevrolet dealerships.

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,497 Posts
I'm not surprised. People bash Toyota big time on many of these forums (including this one), but I have found Toyota service in my area MUCH better than either one of the Chevrolet dealerships.
We actually see the opposite in our area...most GM dealers will go further than the imports around here

And if the firest dealer won't take care of (whatever) a legitimate concern, one call to GM customer service pretty much ensures that the next dealer in line takes care of it. Most people do not want to return to the same dealer & GM will recommend the next closest dealer (at the owners request), contacting the dealer in advance so that your concern gets remedied :cool:

If you've been going to the dealer for service every 3K, I'm guessing they've been rotating your tires on a regular basis

They should take care of the concern, especially if there is nothing wrong with your alignment. At the least, pro-rate your tires b/c they wore pre-maturely

If they satisfy your concern, give GM's 800# a call...customer service; it's in the owners manual.

Good luck:)

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
That is a good point. Chevy dealerships are abundant enough that if you don't like one, try another. There are about 10 chevy dealers in a 25mi radius of me, and about 2 toyota dealerships. My experience with 1-800 GM is, they will do little/nothing for you in regards to a dealership issue. They are very hands-off on a customer vs. dealerhip issue. Best to have a service writter handle your concerns with GM. You have to remember dealerships are not general motors. They are independantly owned and operated businesses, somewhat removed from the general 'himself'.

Joel

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will be contacting someone...

Wheter that be the New York State Attorney General's office, or what not, but I will contact the dealer tommorow, and give them a chance to rectify the issue, but I highly doudbt they will help, my experience has been generally terrible with the dealership. I drive TB EXT 05, with OEM Continentals.

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,778 Posts
If I am reading this correctly the TB is running fine your alignment is good, so no mechincal issues..The tires just SUCK and you have 21k on them, With new vehicles the tires are warrantied, look in the glove box they usually stick the papers in there. Find a dealer of the Continentals and see if they would prorate the cost for some new ones. Your not going to get a new set for free thats for sure, probably should have done this at the 3k mark. then maybe they would have done it free. Thats a good Idea on keeping them for the trade in....

JAy

·
Registered
477 Posts
Wheter that be the New York State Attorney General's office, or what not, but I will contact the dealer tommorow, and give them a chance to rectify the issue, but I highly doudbt they will help, my experience has been generally terrible with the dealership. I drive TB EXT 05, with OEM Continentals.
I have the same vehicle (05 TB EXT) with the same tires. I'm at about 31K and I haven't had any trouble with my tires (knock on wood). I'd say they have about 50 percent of the tread left. I'd say about 80 percent of those miles have been freeway miles.
I have heard a lot of good reports about the Yokohoma Geolander. If you want some good feedback go to www.tirerack.com

When it comes to dealerships I guess it's different in various parts of the country. I can tell you though, my wife and I bought our 05 vehicles about 3 months apart. She got an 05 Camry, I got the 05 EXT. I'd give Toyota an "A" for their service department, one of the Chevy dealership a "C", the other one a "D".
I did contact GM and told them about my experience and got a "form" letter back saying "Sorry, but nothing we can do".

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_ls
1,786 Posts
I've noticed my crappy BFGs wearing quickly. Looks like I am going to be getting around 25,000 miles out of my tires. Most of my driving is in the city, so don't know if that makes a difference. I try to align/rotate every 3,000 miles. I want to unload these tires and get some Bridgestones Duelers or Firestone Destinations. Wonder if a tire shop will prorate these tires :undecided

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt
3,497 Posts
I forgot to ask...what are your driving habbits

When we had the 00 GP, we got about 25K aout of the OEM Goodyear tires...they wore evenly, but we drove the car hard

The performance was top notch, and we couldn't complain about the tires one bit :D

Just something else to add into the equation :)

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Interesting, I got about 53K on my OEM BFG Open Trails. Looking back I should have put a highway touring tire instead of a AT tire because when its wet out I slid all over the place. I have almost 20K on them now, but I cant bring myself to replace them as I really want to just get a set of 20s and then get new tires for those.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I just replaced the OEM BFGs on my 03 EXT a few months ago. They had around 50,000 miles on them with 3/32s of tread left (winter was around the corner). I have owned continentals before and they never seemed to last that long, along with Pirellis. Some GoodYears don't seem to last that long either while other GoodYears last a long time (56k on my GTP).

I went with Michelin LTX M/S for my 03 EXT and it has been a great tire.

Every manufacturer has their share of crappy dealerships. A lot of times complaints are taken out of the dealerships hands by the regional manager. I personally haven't had issues with my Chevy dealer here although have met a couple over the years that are crooks. Can't comment about Toyota's since the rental company had to deal with them after the Toyota that I was renting had some issues.

21k is definitely a concern as long as the proper maintenance (tire pressure, rotation) was done although I have seen performance cars get far less miles on their tires.

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_lt
34 Posts
I've noticed my crappy BFGs wearing quickly. Looks like I am going to be getting around 25,000 miles out of my tires. Most of my driving is in the city, so don't know if that makes a difference. I try to align/rotate every 3,000 miles. I want to unload these tires and get some Bridgestones Duelers or Firestone Destinations. Wonder if a tire shop will prorate these tires :undecided
My original BFG's lasted about 27k. I complained at the dealer and basically they defaulted me to the tire manufacturer. I did email BFG to get a complaint on record.When I went to get new ones(Discount tire) I complained and they called BFG directly and authorized a 40% prorate/discount BUT I had to replace with BFG's. Something is better than nothing!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well

I do not drive hard, I take very good care of my rig, I really cant explain it, It's not so much the wear, but the damn noise that is associated with it, it makes my rig sound like crap, and I am upset, because now I have to come out of my pocket for new threads, when I don't even drive this thing hard. I hate going to the dealer, I have had so many arguments with those guys, they are the cheapest... It's like you need to bring an attorney just to get your point accross, heck I hate the way they treat other people when I am there; let's just say they are not to customer service orientated. I will call them in the morning, to my knowledge my steering is fine no pulling, nothing odvious, i'm sure they will pull the I should have had a 100 dollar alligment every 6k bit, whatever! If I get nothing, then I will try a tire shop, see if I can get a warranty deal, if not then I will just replace and keep the old set for return...

·
Registered
2 Posts
yah another good thing about toyota cars is they never realy need srvice. Just change the oil and fill it up with gas and your ready to go. I will have to say that the chevy dealer in my area is awsome. I had a cobalt ss a year ago that i put lowering springs on and they did the alignment for free. they also repainted my hood on my tb becuase i told then about a scratch on it. i guess there are bad apples everywhere you go though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
When I was looking at a used 05 Envoy, I think they had GoodYear tires on them & it had 37k miles on it & the tires still looked like about 50% left. Mine has them same tires on it, so I am hoping they are good ones!

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
335 Posts
I replaced my BFG'S with 18k on them.
They were rotated every 6k miles.
When i put the new yokohamas on they said my font end alignment
was way off, the print out proved that!!
I didn't hit any major pot holes during that time, I think the alignment
was off straight from the dealer.

·
Registered
477 Posts
yah another good thing about toyota cars is they never realy need srvice. Just change the oil and fill it up with gas and your ready to go.
Well though I would tend to agree, people can and will argue that one until the cows come home! :D I was actually referring to normal maintenance, oil changes, wheel alignments that sort of thing.

·
Banned
chevy
12,260 Posts
I replaced my BFG'S with 18k on them.
They were rotated every 6k miles.
When i put the new yokohamas on they said my font end alignment
was way off, the print out proved that!!
I didn't hit any major pot holes during that time, I think the alignment
was off straight from the dealer.
Every new car I have had has needed an alignment right off the dealers lot. Its alot more common than you would think. My Tb had its first alignment at 3000 miles. It was off, not by much, but a little. Had it done again at 32,000 miles, it was almost perfect. I am still running the factory tires with at least 50% of tread life left. I know it sounds crazy that you need an alignment right off the lot, but it is reality. This was true with my TB, Accord, Town and Country, and Eclipse. The CR-v was the only new vehicle that needed no adjustment.:cool:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts