Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2006 chevy
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over some pics in the SS gallery and noticed someone's dashboard pic plainly showed the temp gage at 210 degrees. So I made a point to look at mine the next time I drove it. After it's fully warmed up, it never drops below 210 degrees! Has anyone else noticed this? Is it a gage anomaly or do these have a 210 degree thermostat?

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
It sounds about normal. The TB/EN bay isn't the best for cooling larger engines. My Denali never moves off 210, even going up or down the steepest hills.

·
Northwest Chapter
11,824 Posts
Yep, a little off-topic, but my 02 I6 never strays from slightly below 210, except if I am towing too fast up the Pass (Snoqualmie Pass) when it can hit about 220-230. I just back off and it returns to normal quickly.

·
Registered
184 Posts
ScarabEpic22 said:
Yep, a little off-topic, but my 02 I6 never strays from slightly below 210, except if I am towing too fast up the Pass (Snoqualmie Pass) when it can hit about 220-230. I just back off and it returns to normal quickly.
Now That's a good enough reason to upgrade to a SS :rotfl:
That way it would never stray from 210. :raspberry

·
Registered
48 Posts
GM probably did the same thing as they did with the LS1's. Those temp. gauges never move either. :(

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
8,770 Posts
If you look closely, you'll notice that there's a small pin that prevents it from going any higher....:rotfl:

·
Registered
2002 chevy trailblazer_ls
2,217 Posts
No SS LS2 here, but this is probably a good example. When my gauge is reading 210°, the actual temp I recorded with my Carchip during the July heat in 2004 shows it stabilizes right at or just under 200°. The gauge seems to read about 10° too high.

·
Registered
2006 chevy
59 Posts
Is the gauge buffered? Most of my recent experience with newer auto technology has been with the BMW make. On both of my BMWs, the temp gauge is buffered. The temp can move around some but gauge stays put. If you start overheating, the gauge quickly rises. It doesn’t go to red line but you know you are running warm when it moves. I am not sure the logic behind it. Did Chevy adopt that same process on the SS? My gauge hasn't moved off 210 for 1700 miles, except warm up. If it’s not buffered, that Tstat is doing a good job.
In reply to a couple previous post on lowering the stat. If the engineers designed for 210, why drop the range? Or is 210 to lower emissions at the expense of power?

·
Registered
20 Posts
The gauges are just there for show. 210 looks good on the gauge. the engine coolant will actually be warmer/cooler than what the gauge says. If you plug in a Tech 2 it will show the temps much higher than what the gauge says. It makes people feel good to see the 210 and the best part is that the supplier doesn't have to re-calibrate or print a new gauge face from truck to truck with different engine packages.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
SS TITANIC said:
Anyone try to change out the thermastat to a lower one? maybe a 180
Changing to a lower thermostat might cause other problems such as internal engine problems and poor heater performance. If the thermostat never moves of 210, then I wouldn't worry about it since it seems to be operating at its designed temperature.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts