Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2009 chevy trailblazer_lt
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2009 1 lt trailblazer. i was wondering if i could just replace the factory speakers with very easy work, kinda just by taking off the door panel and changing them. but will i need to change the factory amp or any of the factory wiring, p.s. i dont have the bose system. and will i need to change the factory deck also??

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,531 Posts
yes you can just take off the door panels and change out the speakers without changing the deck. The factory head unit will be able to power the speakers you put in.

What type of speakers are you gonna put in?

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_ls
301 Posts
hey welcome to the most addictive website for enthusiasts lol

im not an audio guru but i think i can help you on this one technically you dont HAVE to get an amp or replace your head unit but if you just change the speakers and dont get an amp or head unit your new speakers will still have the same wattage as the stock one thus not louder just a lil bit better quality depending on the new speakers so if you get 200 watt speakers there only gonna be pushing out about 40-50 watts so it would be better to get an amp for your new speakers if your triing for better wattage but you can leave your stock headunit and buy an adapter to hook up an rca cable for the amp my suggestion would be to go ahead and get an amp for em pretty easy to hook up but if your not wanting to spend money just for a lil bit better quality go ahead and just replace the factory speakers and be done with it and yes you can use the factory wiring you just have to unhook the factory speaker and soilder the wires onto your new speakers theres

·
Registered
301 Posts
an how to article on this srry that was so long it just depends on how serious you wanna get with it and i prob repeated my self like 10 times im a lil tired going on 30 hours awake need to get to bed lol but feel free to ask any questions good luck

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
I also want to replace the speakers in my doors. My truck has the standard system and it's awful. I'm going to start with the speakers. Any recommendations? Not wanting to spend a ton, but want it to make a difference. I actually have quite a bit of stereo experience (mostly w/amps, subs) but I'm older now and not adding any of that. Just want it to rock a little..:D. My '08 silverado has a good sound to it. Stock also. Are these head-units good enough to invest in new speakers or should I just wait and do the whole system down the road. Wanted to keep a stock look though. Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts
Is it a Bose or just the basic head? I have the basic one and I agree it is quite anemic compared to aftermarket!!
It is not the bose. Just standard. It looks like the same one I had in my '05 colorado. It too, wasn't the best. Wasn't sure if it was speakers or the head unit(wattage) that was the problem.

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ls
5,268 Posts
usually any aftermarket speakers with comparable ratings will sound way better than the factory speakers. factory units are usually the paper looking cone..
aftermarkets have the poly cone or that material that looks like plastic.

·
Registered
2002 gmc envoy_sle
1,380 Posts
I'm curious too whether just replacing the speakers will be an improvement. I don't have the funds nor do I like the looks of a blockout panel or a double din head. I suppose my only option would be a DVD head. $$$

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
just another part to my origional question. as i said i dont have the bose system so if i was to get an amp and keep the head unit how much rewiring would be involved with this and what about the door chimes and onstar, how will that all be affected?? thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
301 Posts
it really isnt that much but it seems like a lot the adapter for an rca cable to come from radio is as easy as splicing the radio wires i have the diagram if you need it and then hooking up your amp wiring (power, ground, remote antenna, speaker wire) you would have to either run your speakers wires through to the back of the head unit and use those wires or you can run them to each speaker (easier but more wire and more time running the wires

·
Registered
12 Posts
I haven't done it to the Trailblazer yet, but I've been running the stock head unit in my 02 Camaro with Infinity Reference 6.5s almost since the car was new and the difference is amazing. I drove around for a couple days with aftermarket rear speakers and factory fronts until I had time to do the rest and ended up turning off the front speakers because they sounded horrible in comparison.

It's not going to sound as good as an aftermarket HU and/or amp, but it's definitely worth it. The Trailblazer and Camaro sounded about the same before swapping the Camaro's speakers and the difference is amazing now. I was originally going to swap the HU out too, but I liked the stock look. Go for it... you can always add more later if you want to go further.

They've gone through a few revisions since, but if I were to do it again I'd go with whatever the current Infinity 6.5 speakers are. Best thing to do is probably go to a shop and listen to a few though. Everyone has different tastes.

·
Registered
2004 gmc envoy_sle
399 Posts

·
Registered
2004 chevy trailblazer_lt
1,369 Posts
Hi guys,

Ive done this twice so far, once with the same size and lately with 5.5". Generally speaking, speakers of the same size can just be dropped in and use the same holes as the stock, sometimes you have to put new holes in, no big deal. Smaller speakers will require a bracket which is a pain and needs lots of dremeling to fit.

As for a place to go, I realllly like crutchfield.com. Not only do they show you what fits your car, they have living, breathing customer service that rocks, and every time a sale comes around it's hard to keep myself from buying something.

As for those infinity's, just remember this, it is wide and far between to find a gem audio product for cheap. In the car audio world you REALLY DO get what you pay for. I tried a setup of 100 dollar pairs from blaupunkt and they sounded loads better than the stock paper cones but I blew them out within a year because they weren't a quality product. I can not recommend any speaker pair under 150 to be a quality long lasting, loudness producing product, and when you want to replace your speakers, you generally do because they suck and you like to listen to loud music. I waited for over a year for Crutchfield to put some nice products on sale. I got a 5 channel amp I was drooling over forever for HALF OFF and 2 pairs Polk/MOMO speakers buy-one-get-one-half-off and assorted other goodies. I ended up with 1200USD worth of audio equipment for 600USD and will never have to upgrade my system again. Crutchfield also has some coupon codes so shoot me a PM if you need one.

My advice: use Crutchfield and wait for a sale and don't buy cheap crap.

Here's my referral code if anybody wants to use it (20$ off 200$) phc47-78bzb-udvuz

Regards,
Keith

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi guys,

Ive done this twice so far, once with the same size and lately with 5.5". Generally speaking, speakers of the same size can just be dropped in and use the same holes as the stock, sometimes you have to put new holes in, no big deal. Smaller speakers will require a bracket which is a pain and needs lots of dremeling to fit.

As for a place to go, I realllly like crutchfield.com. Not only do they show you what fits your car, they have living, breathing customer service that rocks, and every time a sale comes around it's hard to keep myself from buying something.

As for those infinity's, just remember this, it is wide and far between to find a gem audio product for cheap. In the car audio world you REALLY DO get what you pay for. I tried a setup of 100 dollar pairs from blaupunkt and they sounded loads better than the stock paper cones but I blew them out within a year because they weren't a quality product. I can not recommend any speaker pair under 150 to be a quality long lasting, loudness producing product, and when you want to replace your speakers, you generally do because they suck and you like to listen to loud music. I waited for over a year for Crutchfield to put some nice products on sale. I got a 5 channel amp I was drooling over forever for HALF OFF and 2 pairs Polk/MOMO speakers buy-one-get-one-half-off and assorted other goodies. I ended up with 1200USD worth of audio equipment for 600USD and will never have to upgrade my system again. Crutchfield also has some coupon codes so shoot me a PM if you need one.

My advice: use Crutchfield and wait for a sale and don't buy cheap crap.

Here's my referral code if anybody wants to use it (20$ off 200$) phc47-78bzb-udvuz

Regards,
Keith
possibly do you know the sizes for the 2009 trailblazer, because crutchfield dosent show me the option for having the answer to that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts