Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2008 chevy trailblazer_ls
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently found a post from a user who made storage drawers for the back of their envoy. I decided that I would like to try and make my own. Here are some pics of my project. Please let me know what you think and if you have any ideas. I have a 400 watt inverter to install under one of the wings and I want to integrate a subwoofer somewhere.

Both drawers open by audiophobe, on Flickr

Installed with trim pieces in place by audiophobe, on Flickr

Unfinished frame by audiophobe, on Flickr

Side trim by audiophobe, on Flickr

Driver side wing open by audiophobe, on Flickr

Storage area behind rear seat by audiophobe, on Flickr

Driver side wing knob by audiophobe, on Flickr

Driver side wing open by audiophobe, on Flickr

·
Banned
2002 chevy trailblazer_ltz
2,762 Posts
I don't see much difference then the cargo cover that comes with it,except it keeps you from using bottom compartment and not easy to remove if you need to put something big in the back?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's actually designed to be easily removed. That's what the wings on the sides are for. The storage compartment underneath the box is still accessible if you remove the drawers. The height of the box is very close to the height of the cargo cover however you can set things on top of the box where as you cannot set anything on top of your cargo cover. Thanks for looking!:tiphat

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1,357 Posts
I'd like to see a series of shots that shows how "easy" it is to access the floor storage compartment.... :undecided

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll take some pics of how i gain access to the storage compartment underneath the drawers later today. The reason I built this unit is to have more storage because that little storage compartment was not enough. Also the compartments on the sides of the unit are still accessible by lifting the side wings up.

·
Banned
2,762 Posts
Sorry!, it looks nice but I don't see that it's more storage then stock way except you can put something heavy on top of it,which I would be afraid it would go flying forward if you brake to hard!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I plan on installing some cargo hooks and probably a cargo net on top. I have had the concern of things hitting me in the head if I brake too hard too. Lol. You are right that it's not more storage than the stock way but i feel like its much more organized. Feeding into my OCD. I appreciate your input everyone.:)

·
Registered
2006 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
1,357 Posts
I actually think that the storage setup is VERY useful... it's really no different than the additional shelf that the EXT has - it seems much more stable than the shelf I have in mine...

I look forward to the pics.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Accessing storage compartment under drawers.

Here are some pics of how the storage space underneath the drawers can be accessed. I decided to leave the cover on the compartment so that I don't misplace it. Or if I need to remove the drawers I will still have a flat surface to haul larger items. There is of course the option to leave the cover off so that you may store things there and have easier access.

First pull the drawer out to access the side tabs to release the drawer slides.

Drawer pulled out by audiophobe, on Flickr

Then release the drawer slide tabs.

Drawer slide by audiophobe, on Flickr

Drawer release tab by audiophobe, on Flickr

Once the drawer has been released from the slides, take it out and set aside. Lift the wings on each side to allow lifting of the shelf and frame.

Wing lifted by audiophobe, on Flickr

Passenger side wing open by audiophobe, on Flickr

Then you have to remove the side trim pieces. Notice the placement of the rear hatch bump stop. I pressure fit these pieces so that they may be easily removed for just this kind of situation.

Driver side trim removed. by audiophobe, on Flickr

Passenger side trim removed by audiophobe, on Flickr

Then you can easily lift the entire frame to facilitate removing the storage compartment cover. I left it in place so that I don't lose it but you could definitely leave it out if you want to skip a couple of steps in this process. With it out you would only have to remove the drawer to gain access.

Shelf lifted for access to storage compartment by audiophobe, on Flickr

With the unit lifted a few inches you can remove the cover to access the compartment.

Storage compartment by audiophobe, on Flickr

There you have it. The compartment can be utilized again.
I did not feel a need to have this compartment easily accessible as I don't use it. However I may leave the lid off now just in case I want some extra storage for things that I don't use very often. Thanks for the idea!

·
Banned
2,762 Posts
Here are some pics of how the storage space underneath the drawers can be accessed. I decided to leave the cover on the compartment so that I don't misplace it. Or if I need to remove the drawers I will still have a flat surface to haul larger items. There is of course the option to leave the cover off so that you may store things there and have easier access.

First pull the drawer out to access the side tabs to release the drawer slides.

Drawer pulled out by audiophobe, on Flickr

Then release the drawer slide tabs.

Drawer slide by audiophobe, on Flickr

Drawer release tab by audiophobe, on Flickr

Once the drawer has been released from the slides, take it out and set aside. Lift the wings on each side to allow lifting of the shelf and frame.

Wing lifted by audiophobe, on Flickr

Passenger side wing open by audiophobe, on Flickr

Then you have to remove the side trim pieces. Notice the placement of the rear hatch bump stop. I pressure fit these pieces so that they may be easily removed for just this kind of situation.

Driver side trim removed. by audiophobe, on Flickr

Passenger side trim removed by audiophobe, on Flickr

Then you can easily lift the entire frame to facilitate removing the storage compartment cover. I left it in place so that I don't lose it but you could definitely leave it out if you want to skip a couple of steps in this process. With it out you would only have to remove the drawer to gain access.

Shelf lifted for access to storage compartment by audiophobe, on Flickr

With the unit lifted a few inches you can remove the cover to access the compartment.

Storage compartment by audiophobe, on Flickr

There you have it. The compartment can be utilized again.
I did not feel a need to have this compartment easily accessible as I don't use it. However I may leave the lid off now just in case I want some extra storage for things that I don't use very often. Thanks for the idea!
You did a nice job with it!:thumbsup:

·
Banned
2008 chevy trailblazer_lt_ext
68 Posts
I think someone got their feelings hurt and asked the HMFIC to clean up the thread. :m2:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts