Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 trailblazer 4.2 vortec burning oil

I’ve been noticing a quick puff of blue smoke out the tailpipe when first started, goes away immediately

Anybody know if there’s a common problem with Chevy Trailblazers for burning oil on start up?

Has 70,000 miles- so fairly low, I’ve changed the oil every 3000 with full synthetic and k&n filters since I’ve owned it.. I am thinking the valve seals are going.
However I do not know much about these atlas inline 6 engines and don’t want to jump to that conclusion yet.. seems rather soon for valve seals to be worn out.. is there another path for oil to drain into the combustion chamber on these engines after they have been shut off?

Cheers thanks for any help out there.

·
Registered
2004 GMC Envoy SLT 4.2
179 Posts
Not sure about these 4.2 s , but , elsewhere , in other applications , synthetic has been known to leak quicker than dino oil .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That had not occurred to me, although I’ve been using synthetic since I’ve owned it (~18 months) and it’s only happened recently. Perhaps the seals have enough clearance in them now for the synthetic to seep down the valves.. maybe I’ll try conventional next oil change and see what happens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts