Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Envoy Denali air suspension was giving problems. First it would squat sometimes over night so I figured it was in the check valve in the compressor, but it didn't do it all of the time. Then it would pump up stiff while driving sometimes, other times it was fine. Finally the left air spring went flat so we were driving around on one air spring. It was odd as the left was flat but the compressor didn't run continuously. At this point I decided to scrap the air for coils. I ordered a pair of Moog 80149 from Amazon after talking to Moog and doing some research. Swap was pretty straight forward I pulled the fuse first. Releasing the air lines from the air springs was a pain. I dropped the compressor and loosened the nut on the right air line to bleed the pressure, then put the compressor back. I taped the ends of the air lines in case I want to put the air bags back. Did connected the shocks at the bottom and the panhard bar at the rear. Had to pull the clips for the ABS wires off of the chassis, popped the links for the air ride adjusters and the rear dropped enough to slide the springs right in. I left the adjusters and put the links back on. Let it down and put the fuse back in, compressor still works for the inflator but doesn't run at all of the air suspension. It's sitting over 1" higher than it was when I started but I hope it settles down. So for less than $60 I eliminated the air suspension but still have the inflator. If I want the air back I can buy 2 new bags.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,156 Posts
Do you happen to know if the 2004 Ascender suspension is the same as your 08 Denali with the coil springs in?
I've fully converted a couple of our vehicles --- a Voy and 2 TBs ... all were circa-2005s or so.

The conversion was simple --- I ripped out anything associated with the bags and the convoluted plumbing and jammed in a set of coils from the junkers.
One COULD buy new springs from Detroit Axle I think ... but the J/Y parts worked out pretty good.​

Oh, yeah ... I had a set of stock rear springs left over from my own 2005 TB --- from whatever source I got them I am not really sure but they may have arrived with the vehicle when I got it delivered to me from SoCal and I put them in a friend's 2003 GMC Voyager.

I'm betting that all our assorted versions including the c 2005 EXTs have pretty much the same frame as all the others even though my EXT is certainly longer.

Someone help here --- but where's the break from the 2002ish through 2007ish TB/Voy/Saab where GM went to a unibody and renamed it?

·
Registered
2008 gmc envoy_denali
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I can say that 2008 is the same as that's what mine is. As far as ripping stuff out that's not what I did I removed the air lines and taped them off just in case I wanted to change back or the next owner wants to. no need to remove the compressor as it still works for inflating tires.

·
Premium Member
'05 Chevy TB EXT
5,156 Posts
Well, I can say that 2008 is the same as that's what mine is. As far as ripping stuff out that's not what I did I removed the air lines and taped them off just in case I wanted to change back or the next owner wants to. no need to remove the compressor as it still works for inflating tires.
That's your solution -- all well 'n good 'n all.

In a system that's gone -- ruined and wiped out --- total surgery was a good idea too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts