Chevy TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer SS and GMC Envoy Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2007 chevy trailblazer_lt
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while I'll go to start my car and the battery is dead. It happened on a camping trip recently and because I use the car as a tow vehicle and have a Brake Buddy, that helps braking which requires power to run, I bought a new battery. It's been fine for a month but I was gone for a week and it was dead.

Today I disconnected the battery and measured a little over 1 amp of power draw with all the doors closed and not running. I suspected the rear hatch wiring since I had to replace the wires that go from the body to the hatch. I pulled the Hatch module fuses and it was still drawing a little over 1 amp.

Any ideas what may be causing the current draw and what is normal would be appreciated!

·
Registered
2003 chevy trailblazer_ltz
541 Posts
1. Beware of testing ampere draw before the computer has "gone to sleep". Sometimes take 30 seconds or a minute before the computer nods off after a door has been closed, or a switch touched.

2. You're right--if it's drawing an entire ampere AFTER the computer has gone to sleep, there's a genuine problem. Keep pulling fuses until you locate which circuit is pulling power. Beware that not all circuits are fused. Some are protected with circuit breakers, some with fusible links. Start with the fuses, they're the easiest.

3. Make sure the alternator is properly charging the battery. A REAL battery/starter/charging power-team test is extensive; but a simple voltage test can be a good start. Measure battery voltage before starting the engine, and then measure voltage at the battery with the engine running. Typical battery voltage is 12.6--12.7 with the engine off and no load. Typical charging voltage is 14+ volts;

When I had problems with the battery going dead every month or six weeks, I found that it was a defective Optima battery. I replaced the alternator and starter (I didn't cry, they were nearing 200,000 miles at the time.) and cleaned various electrical connections including at the battery with no improvement. Replaced the battery--problem solved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts